shape
carat
color
clarity

Huge Bathrooms-Am I The Only One Who Doesn''t Get Them?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love to watch HGTV and see all the houses, but I never get why people always want a huge master bathroom. It just seems like a waste of space! All I do in the bathroom is shower and use the toilet-why does it need to be the size of a bedroom?

What about you-do you love a big bathroom? If so, why?

Lula

Ideal_Rock
I don't understand this trend either. What I'd really like is a smaller bathroom and a dedicated dressing room -- with the big mirrors, folding table in the middle, a comfortable vanity and chair. Now that's luxury I could use.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I love a nice bathroom... I love a good soaking tub.... I''d love to have a seperate shower.....I like to have some space in a bathroom, but honestly, it''s mainly because I have to share with DH. Right now our bathroom only has one sink and it''s a constant jockey for it. I''ve love to have enough space that we''re not constantly tripping over each other.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I love giant luxurious bathrooms and kitchens
5.gif

I could spend hours soaking in a hot tub with a glass of baileys and a book - though it wouldn't be nearly as nice without picturesque surroundings, so a nice bathroom is really a necessity.

A small, cozy house with a lovely large bathroom and fully updated kitchen is my dream home
1.gif

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, now there''s big and then there''s too little. Trust me, I would love a bigger bathroom. Mainly to have a jacuzzi AND a shower and some storage. Our single bathroom is 5x8, and folks that is a TINY bathroom. Storage is non-existent. Of course it keeps me honest too - I can''t clutter it up because there just isn''t any place to SET stuff.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
I''m with Sara. I would love a huge dressing room but only if it was separate from the rest of the bathroom. I also seriously cannot think of anything more wasteful in a house (that I would live in than) than a bathtub. They gross me out so much! Most huge bathrooms also have a huge tub that I would never get in.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/17/2010 11:09:48 PM
Author: yssie
Oh, I love giant luxurious bathrooms and kitchens
5.gif

I could spend hours soaking in a hot tub with a glass of baileys and a book - though it wouldn''t be nearly as nice without picturesque surroundings, so a nice bathroom is really a necessity.

A small, cozy house with a lovely large bathroom and fully updated kitchen is my dream home
1.gif

That seriously sounds phenomenal. This is the exact reason, if I could...I''d have a huge bathroom

41.gif

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
I am with you Sara, I do not care for a big space as a bathroom, I would like some more counter in mine and maybe a little more storage but I do not need a huge room! As a matter of fact (TMI here) I think I have a little performance anxiety sitting in a huge echoing room and while it is not so bad when they have the bathroom suite with a seperate "stall" so to speak for the loo I prefer a smaller room in general.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I don''t get the need for bathrooms so big you can hold the olympics in them. I do like the idea of a large bathroom with a tub, separate walk-in shower and dressing room though. The thing I don''t get are the really huge master bedrooms. I pretty much just sleep in mine. I have three kids it''s not like I have time to lounge around all day.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree; I don''t get it either. I don''t like it when bathrooms are super small, but as long as there is enough room to move around comfortably, that''s all that matters to me. I much rather more space in the rooms where I spend most of my time.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don''t need to have an echo, or anything, but in my Ideal World (TM), I''d have a little cordoned off section for the toilet and bidet, a walk-in shower, a walk-in closet, and then a great big claw-footed bathtub (with gilded toenails, ''natch) dead-square in the middle of the room, right under a skylight. I would glaze the whole thing in turquoise-blue and small gold tiles, like Leighton House, and I would have rose petals with every bath.

... I''m sorry, you were saying? I got lost in the beauty of the bathroom.
41.gif

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/17/2010 11:19:35 PM
Author: ksinger
Well, now there's big and then there's too little. Trust me, I would love a bigger bathroom. Mainly to have a jacuzzi AND a shower and some storage. Our single bathroom is 5x8, and folks that is a TINY bathroom. Storage is non-existent. Of course it keeps me honest too - I can't clutter it up because there just isn't any place to SET stuff.

Shut it ksinger! 5x6'! If we both try to brush our teeth someone gets an elbow to the face, and yes, its a 1 bathroom place so as much as you want to come visit me... But some of those bathrooms on HGTV are so huge I wonder if people invite in crowds to watch them bathe. Or perhaps they want to be wheelchair accessible?

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too scratch my head at some of the things and the hugeness.

However, all that being said here is how I would set up a master bedroom and bath:

Modest size bedroom (I don''t get the vary large master bedrooms with lots of other furniture)

Bath should have: toilet, bidet (if you are into those), 2 sinks, a good size walk in shower - that can hold two people at once (This was in my hotel room on a business trip in April... wow...)

Changing room with his and hers walk in closets.

I would have a separate room in the house with an oversized whirlpool bath or small hot-tub (with lots of windows (one way?)/skylights, sound system, etc). For the women - this could also be a spa room.

In another bathroom in the house I would have a normal bathtub (they do have their uses - especially when kids visit).

In the rest of the house I''d have a study next to a library room. I''d also have designated his and hers craft/project rooms (although these could be separate workshops depending on the person).

Perry

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our ensuite is a reasonable size, about 5 meters by 7 meters I guess. The hallway to our master bedroom runs past it so it just has the three walls: spa on one, vanity on the next, shower and toilet on the other... but NO wall space for a towel rack!
14.gif
Our guest bathroom is a tad smaller, but again the layout means it is comfortable and the space is optimal, which is probably more imprtant to us that sheer size that could be taken up elsewhere... like a walk-in robe
30.gif

We had bathroom about half this size in our old house and that was comfortable, but I must say I like this one far better now that I''m used to it
9.gif
Any bigger would be a definite waste of space in my situation, and I like the size of this one, even sans towel rack space
2.gif
It''s plenty big enough for us two! (Oh, and two dogs!)

HousePics 009.jpg

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shut yer filthy mouth, Thing2!

Circe and I are going to be bathroom buddies for life. Seriously, I love a big,relaxing bathroom. I think it''s probably because when I was younger and wanted to get away from my family, I''d take a book and go into the bathroom. Lock the door, sit on the floor and read for hours. Conveniently, it was our only bathroom so my parents would be banging on the door trying to get me to come out! Hah.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL! Swimmer and Ksinger in...The Battle of The Tiny Loos!!!! 5x6?? Seriously?? Where on earth do you guys stand to actually shower?? Surely it can''t actually have a tub?

Yeah, I hear ya on the crowds. I get a bit indignant somehow when people have walk-ins or bathrooms bigger than my BEDROOM.
2.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I totally agree! So many new houses seem to have "master suites" - the bedroom is larger than a living room, and the bathroom is as big as the kids' bedrooms. I don't get it. I'm all for having something big enough to move around in, and I can't live without a double vanity, but that's about it. It seems like such a waste of square footage to have a ginormous bathroom that you only use to get ready for bed and ready for work. I also think it's a waste to have a gigantic master bedroom - I'm only sleeping in there, I don't need a separate sitting room.

eta: I also never take baths (literally, once in the last 15 years) so a huge soaking tub is totally useless to me. If I do get a bath-taking urge, I'll just use the tub that's connected to the shower.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a pretty big master bath, but I don''t know what you call huge? It has two separate sinks and counter on each side of the room with big mirrors over each. We haven''t customized the room very much. We put
in tile on the floor and painted and some decorative stuff but haven''t replaced the white corian yet. The thing I love about a larger bath is that DH and I can be in there at the same time, talk and get ready
without getting in each others way. I love the toilet room. Close the door, privacy. This is the first time in 30 years we have ever had our own separate bath, and I think I would miss it if we moved. (no plans)

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't get it either. Not to say that I want a tiny bathroom-I really appreciate a nice soaking tub, two sinks, etc. But I don't get why you need to have half the square footage of your house in your bathroom! You can have those things without having your bathroom be 15x20.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I don't need a HUGE bathroom, but I've always wanted a bathroom big enough for a double vanity, a soaking tub and a separate shower.

The house we are moving into has a medium sized master bathroom (double vanity and soaking tub), but I don't understand why they didn't allow enough room for a separate shower. The bedroom is bigger than our first apartment, but the bathroom is just medium-sized. I would rather have a large bathroom and medium to large bedroom. The future kids bathroom is actually a little larger than our master bathroom (16x11), but only has a tub as well. The only stand-alone shower is downstairs--very odd. We have a little remodeling to do.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just more to pay for and more to clean.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I actually love a large bathroom. growing up I never had the luxury, and neither did my parents. My grandparents had a large house with a huge master at one point, separate shower room, jacuzi tub overlooking the pastures, two separate sink areas with mirrors and dressing space, and a separate toilet nook. Even theirs now is quite spacey.

My favorite I''ve SEEN was one where you walked in, there were large counters to the left, a separate nook for toilet, a large jacuzi tub (again, but you walked around a bend to the left and stepped down into a separate stone shower. I loooooved this.

I think my dream house would have a large master suite... you''d walk into a little hall with two walk in closets to either side of the hall. The hall would then go further and open into the bathroom. To one side would be an open area for a nice wooden vanity (the old style kind) for me to have my perfumes and make up. You would keep going and we''d have a large double sink counter to one side, and to the right a toilet nook and a towel closet (spacious, not squished). Then you would walk in and see the main bath and have the slight walk around to the walk in shower that I so love... with stone. I just loved that shower!

That''s dream house though and .... yeah...in my dreams.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I''m in the "bigger is not always better" camp, too. Our current bathroom is about 5''x11'' (give or take a few inches) and I actually think the size is fine...it''s just the layout that''s horrible. I don''t like that it''s long and skinny, I''d prefer a squarer room. And even though the vanity is plenty big enough for two sinks, it only has one. Plus, everything is old and ugly, and even though there''s space for good storage solutions, they didn''t take advantage of it. Still, I think it''s got plenty of space, square-footage-wise, so I guess I just prefer more living space to bathroom space.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I prefer a more moderately sized bath. Sure I want a separate soaking tub (the bigger the better) and a 2 person shower, but other than those, a vanity, toilet and linen closet, what else do you need? I would rather take that extra space and make a bigger closet.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would definitely rather have that square footage in the rest of my living space than the bathroom. Our house is 85 years old and the bathroom could use a little more space. When you open the door, it bumps into the sink! Our partial bath that was added in the 90s is actually bigger than the full bath.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m not into overly large bathrooms either. I dont want small but big enough for 2 people to comfortably get ready is all
I want (which our bathroom is). Those really large bathrooms just mean more to clean (and I hate cleaning bathrooms).

I get dressed in my closet. Its a decent size and I keep all my clothes in there (underwear and all). I have a mirror on the back
of the door. Its perfect for me. Hubby has his own closet so we''re not tripping over each other.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m not a fan of a gigantic bathroom either. I grew up in a 4 bathroom home and none of them, including the master, were oversized. The master has a sunken garden tub in a separate room, his/her sinks and vanity in the middle room, and walk-in closet to the right. It''s not huge but it''s very functional.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I DO NOT understand the giant loos! I always feel so . . . exposed when I''m taking a bath in a huge bathroom. I don''t like them.

If we ever put on our dream addition to our current house it will include a spacious walk-in closet/dressing room and a bathroom that is just big enough for two sinks, a separate toilet space, a shower, and a big tub. And a small linen closet. What I don''t like is a lot of empty space in the middle of the room, if that makes sense.

Our house has one full bathroom and one powder room. The full bath is 5''10" by 7''6". It''s perfect for the two of us, but when we have kids I think it will get a bit crowded.

I do love a big kitchen, though. But again, not one with a ton of empty space in the middle. I want a big kitchen with actual spaces for all of the work I do in there. Empty space is worth nothing to me!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
DH and I were talking about this the other day while watching HGTV. Some of the bathrooms are beyond unnecessary. I''d rather have the living space. Add that hugeness to the master bedroom and put in a fireplace and seating area, or a stripper pole and stage for that matter. I don''t hang out in my bathroom and really don''t require seating for friends in it! I do love a separate shower and soaking tub and double vanity, but once there''s room for that, anything else is overkill.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
We''re of the small bathroom camp too. You can fit 3 in there if one''s in the shower, ones on the toilet and ones at the sink. If those people would like to change positions you would have to do like those old puzzle toys where there''s one open tile and you move all the other tiles around to make the picture. I don''t know how big it is tho..hmm now I''m curious. Do you measure actual standing space or wall to wall over the tub and sink?

Ha, I was on a design forum asking for help to pick a color for the bathroom and I had to stand in the tub on the little ledge in the corner to get far enough back to take a picture of the other side.

I''d like it to be bigger but not gigantic.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results