shape
carat
color
clarity

Hue of blue for engagement ring

luxroman

Rough_Rock
Boyfriend and I are in a dilemma right now. I love sapphires that are light blue, icy blue. I think the tone would be subtle and elegant for an engagement ring. However, I'm mainly getting the advice that the traditional blue would be more highlighted in a white gold setting, and even the more so because my skin is very light. Is contrast always the best way to go though? Any advice?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO, it is your "once in a life time ring", therefore, go for what you heart desires and forget about conventional/traditional wisdom.

At the end of the day, you have to look and wear the ring all the time, and YOU alone need to love it.

Good luck spec'ing your ring.

DK :))

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
luxroman|1453059677|3977180 said:
Boyfriend and I are in a dilemma right now. I love sapphires that are light blue, icy blue. I think the tone would be subtle and elegant for an engagement ring. However, I'm mainly getting the advice that the traditional blue would be more highlighted in a white gold setting, and even the more so because my skin is very light. Is contrast always the best way to go though? Any advice?

The best way to go is whatever you like!

Diamonds go well in a halo, and they are as icy as it gets, so I see no reason a light sapphire wouldn't look good :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another thing, maybe putting the light sapphire in a rose gold setting might give you the contrast you're after...

Where are you with your e ring planning?? I'd love to hear how its going.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go for what you like. That said, make sure you've seen several in person so that you know you are making the right choice. Icy blue sapphires don't always stay looking icy blue all the time.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Chrono|1453062247|3977200 said:
Icy blue sapphires don't always stay looking icy blue all the time.

This is absolutely true. All gems get dirty and that film on the pavilion causes the sparkle of the gem to be muted and the color to go more towards gray. Icy blue is great, but you might want to get a little bit more color in the stone in order to reduce the graying effect of "stuff" on the stone. If you can clean the stone often this doesn't really matter much.

As for what you should buy, well you're wearing it and you're seeing it much more than anyone else, so it's all your call. An engagement ring is much more personal and unchanging than clothes and you would not let anyone else choose your clothes. Take anyones opinions about your engagement stone with all the concern that it merits, (not much IMO).

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Had you seen the light blue sapphire on loupetroop? That color I think would hold up to diamonds. And I know is within your limited budget. However, I don't know if its the icy blue you're going for, or if you'd like the shape.

Either way,still very interested in how things are going. :wavey:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I second the idea to view a lot of stones with your own eyes to see what you love and whether it's a good match with your skintone.
After that you could order your ideal stone online.
Happy search and choose what you love.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1453065143|3977223 said:
I second the idea to view a lot of stones with your own eyes to see what you love and whether it's a good match with your skintone.
After that you could order your ideal stone online.
Happy search and choose what you love.

Acinom, glad you posted, I'm sure you can comment about light stones and diamonds. I mean, I know you have at least one lovely ring with a light blue stone and diamonds. :love:

luxroman

Rough_Rock
Thank you all!

Niel, thanks for inquiring. The planning is long! We do want the ring before March, so we want to settle on the stone very soon. Otherwise, we're quite settled with Sally for an antique-style ring. The stone you mentioned is beautiful, but too big. We're finally setting for a round 5-5.5 mm, we realized upon checking stones in person a 6 mm would be too big for me. We prefer something subtle.

Here are pictures of three stones we are considering:

prague_217.jpg

loose_gems_michel_and_red_and_m__new_after_prague_014.jpg

We were thinking of going for the lighter icy blue sapphire. With this new information though we might choose the one that is slightly darker (first picture still). Do you think it would still get dirty much easier than the third one?

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
Not sure how fussed you are about cut, but the mastercutgems sapphire looks like a much, much nicer cut than the others, where the two lighter ones look like they might be windowed. Just one more thing to consider. =)

luxroman

Rough_Rock
Oh! We had not realized that at all (which is no surprise, we're complete newbies). The first two stones and the mastercut gems are the same price (mastercut is even slightly cheaper). So I'm quite surprised, thank you so much for letting us know!

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock

luxroman

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the info! I think we'll go for the mastercut, it has the most reasonable price. Upon seeing and researching lots of stones online, however, we're surprised by its price. Why is it much lower than others? Should we be worried about this?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
luxroman|1453257466|3978320 said:
Thank you for the info! I think we'll go for the mastercut, it has the most reasonable price. Upon seeing and researching lots of stones online, however, we're surprised by its price. Why is it much lower than others? Should we be worried about this?

I think he's priced it accurately. He often has fair prices, in my opinion. I've bought two stones from him. Both fair prices and I think where exactly how he advertised. One I returned but through no fault of Dana's. I've seen montana sapphire prices crazy in some places due to their "green, US home grown ethical" stance. Brilliant earth is selling one about your size for like 1k!

I'm glad you found a stone. And I do think you'll be happy. Leaves you lots of room for an amazing setting from HOW. will you just have them both sent to you and then the stone set locally?

Also, what are you thinking with the setting now that you have more money to play wait? A bit of diamonds or still just metal?

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
luxroman|1453257466|3978320 said:

Nope. He prices very fairly. I've only bought two stones from them but they were both priced lower than other similar stones from other sources and I'm very happy with them. And extremely good service/communication too.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dana prices very fairly. Amazing cutter so if you like the stone, get it as he has a reasonable return policy.

luxroman

Rough_Rock
Thank you all! We're more confident about it and will make the purchase soon.

Yes Niel, we'll be buying the setting from Sally and setting the stone locally. And still just gold, either way our desire was always for no diamonds. Also, the budget is still busted. When we started shopping we did not take into account the exchange rate of the Canadian dollar... And it is so unfortunately low! The credit card will be useful... But it'll be worth it :angel:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
luxroman|1453311123|3978618 said:
Thank you all! We're more confident about it and will make the purchase soon.

Yes Niel, we'll be buying the setting from Sally and setting the stone locally. And still just gold, either way our desire was always for no diamonds. Also, the budget is still busted. When we started shopping we did not take into account the exchange rate of the Canadian dollar... And it is so unfortunately low! The credit card will be useful... But it'll be worth it :angel:

I'm excited to see it. I think you can get something lovely without going too far over budget. I bet HOW can help for sure. Either way, have fun its going great, in my opinion! :)

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh! I am so excited for you. Looking forward to see the result.

Some eyecandy: the photo's of klcardella's ring. It's a mid blue set in 18 kt rose gold. I thought of you when I saw the pics.

_1582.jpeg

_1583.jpeg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good choice on the Mastercut sapphire. I'm also looking forward to the completed ring. :appl:

luxroman

Rough_Rock
The (gorgeous!) Montana sapphire is in our position, and we sent Sally the deposit for the setting. At last, the most fun part arrived, the process of designing the setting! We're really excited all is finally falling in place :appl:

Again, thank you all so much for your help!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results