shape
carat
color
clarity

HRD, GIA, IGI, EGL, AGA, AGS! How do they Compare?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GemLovers!

Rough_Rock
I've been told that certs from the various organizations can't be directly compared as some are more critical than others. HRD claims that they are the only which has been able to meet ISO 9000 requirements as the process they follow is the only one which consistently "regrades" diamonds with the same grading.Which certs can be trusted and how can two diamonds with different ones be compared?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
GIA and AGS are considered as most consistent in the industry. There is not much you can do than just to compare data from the reports keeping in mind that stones with GIA and AGS reports usually more expencive.In any case you have to get independent expert analysis to make sure that stone matches the report data. It has been reported that even AGS or GIA reports had errors.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
25% is a big difference indeed. Could you post the data here to compare?There is a site selling mostly HRD graded stones cut in Belgium - www.gendiat.com . First time I've seen it I was interested since you can find crown and pavilion angles for each stone. However, when I checked them by the Cut Adviser, I realized that all of them are awfully deep cut, i.e. much extra weight and dully look.

GemLovers!

Rough_Rock
I've noticed that diamonds with HRD certs out of Belgium are much lower in price. For a diamond with an HRD cert the prices seem to be 25% less or two diamond grades. Is this how Different the HRD grading is (two lower than the diamond would grade GIA)?Thanks!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
GemLovers,In your example D and E color at IF clarity can cause even more difference in price. Since these colors and clarity are very rare the price varies dramatically.We also should take proportions into considerations...

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love to see my little lab listed right in the midst of the "big boys". I would tell you that if the limited cut information is adequate for your use, the GIA does a reasonably consistent job. Besides, the diamond grading system most of us use is the GIA's own system. They could harldy make a mistake since any disagreement we might have with their grade has no higher authority than the GIA itself. You can't be wrong very often if you own the system and amke the rules. (You sure cant' afford to admit to it).AGS does a great job, especially for being relatively a newcomer to the field. All the cut details, accurate color grading, and good clarity grading. HRD seems extremely professional although for USA use, their documents are a tiny bit different in grading clarity and possibly a bit different in some colors, too. HRD uses the HRD system, not the GIA system. Close, but not identical.There are some diamond labs from around the world that were not mentioned that are in the range of GIA, AGS and HRD, but we don't see many of their reports.Then you have EGL, and IGI. They are "big guys" but the system they use partially belongs to GIA in some respects and to their own labs in others. Not every grade is going to match GIA although not every grade will differ. There is a certain level discount given to the grades given since it is the diamond that experts trade, not the paper. Grading is defensibly subjective, in-house grading systems may be slightly in disagreement with GIA, and there is always room for differing opinions.Little labs, like AGA and countless others around the USA grade very tightly or reasonably well, poorly or worse. The quality and accuracy is up to the owner and operator of each of the labs. There is no standard being universally enforced. The good guys, and I hope to include AGA in this category, do a job equivalent to GIA or AGS but mostly on a regional basis rather than nationwide. Other than the good guy labs, there are many that aspire to doing the job right, but don't for some reason and then those that do fair to poor work. What's going on is as follows: If you do a very accurate job you won't please diamond dealers. They look to have a good reading document, but need and want a bit of leeway in the grading. If you grade more strictly than the GIA, you will have no work and go out of the business. You need to adopt the idea that you will conform to GIA grading with the understanding that to err a tiny bit on the liberal side is proper, expected and reasonable. We see these kind of gradings frequently from the GIA itself. If you decide to err more, you may become far busier and more successful. A veritable "paper mill" of documents that dealers disrespect, but use to their best advantage.I wont' comment on these paper mill labs by name or say more in this regard. High quality and consistent grading requires care for the details and a financial situation that is under control. The temptation to sell oneself to the highest bidder is ever-present.------------------
David Atlas
Accredited Gem Appraisers

GemLovers!

Rough_Rock
Hi again,A typical HRD Diamond from one source is as follows (all diamonds are HRD sealed).Marquise E, IF, 1.01 carat, VG Polish, G Proportions, Medium Blue Flouresence, $5893The closest GIA that turns up with a pricescope search isMarquise D, IF, 1.04 carat, VG Polish, G Proportions, No Flouresence, $8498

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results