shape
carat
color
clarity

HRD Certification Question - Apples &/or Oranges?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rob D Cradle

Rough_Rock
I have enjoyed reading this forum as a lurker for quite some time, and I appreciate everyone's input.

Now, however, my time to make a decision approaches, and so I propose, hehe, this question:

I have viewed a HRD certification emailed to me with the following information: 2.19 carats; Clarity SV2; Color rare white (G); fluor - nil; girdle 2.5% (I think - this was blurry); culet pointed; table width - 60%; crown height 15%; pavilion depth, 43.6%; finish very good, proportion very good. (I have been advised by the merchant that the depth percentage is 61%)

My questions are these: If pavilion angle and crown angle are so important, how have the Europeans made due without same? Is it possible to extrapolate brilliance and fire, et cetera with only these criteria? Are there any detrimental numbers here? (Although if a majority of you give thumbs up I will send the stone to an appraiser) What would be the internet ball park value for this?

I would appreciate anyone's input.

Thank you!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Being a HRD certs expert
2.gif
, probably your cert says:

proportions: very good
girdle: thin 2.5% (faceted??)
culet: pointed
table: 60%
crown: 15%
pavilion 43.5%
-----------

By the way, HRD and GIA are compatible (HRD is better in my opinion, though)...
As per the angles... It's better to know at least all the %s than only table and depth (case in point GIA)... Am I wrong?
1.gif
2.gif

BTW, is it VS 2?

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
It has been our experience that HRD grading is comparable to what we see out of the GIA and AGS Laboratories... The HRD is the diamond grading laboratory for the Belgium High Diamond Council with a location in Antwerp and one in Canada. We still advise obtaining a Sarin / OGI computerized proportions analysis which will provide you with the crown and pavilion angles rather than the percentages provided on the HRD diamond grading report (not a certification) because the angles are a more accurate indication than the percentages...

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
R&T, I agree with you 100%...
Keep in mind that percentages are rounded... Eg 44.3% is listed as 44.5% and 15.8% as 16%...

Rob D Cradle

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the response Giangi and Niceice! (Sorry, I have been away to the funeral of the grandmother of the object of my affaction, which turned out to be a celebration of the remarkable life of the lady.) But I return happy at the response of you two!

Yes Giangi, you are right on all counts as to your presumptions as to the other info on the HRD report. Pav depth 43.5%; culet pointed, finish grade very good, girdle 2.5% thin, faceted, crown height 15%; proportions very good. Yes, VS2.

The merchant now indicates that they believe the crown angle to be 35 1/2 degrees and table 60%. I am ready to send this to an appraiser for evaluation, but does this sound like something that would look bright and somewhat near ideal proportions? What would something like this be worth, and, more importantly, what do you think it would look like when the appraiser views the stone? I have put info in pricescope but I don't know if the information that I have would give me an accurate analysis before the appraiser stage. I have been quoted a price, I just want to know if it is in the ballpark of non B&M prices.

Again thanks for your help!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Hi Rob... Sooooo sorry for you.

BTW, the diamond gets only a 5.2 on the HCA, but I've seen many stones with similar proportions and they looked all very nice... Let your eyes decide... The stone isn't an ideal cut, but nevertheless it's nicely proportioned and should be quite bright... Is it from an internet vendor?

Rob D Cradle

Rough_Rock
Giangi, it is not from an internet vendor. I just need to know others' opinions of how promising the stone looks considering the facts that I have now. Hopefully an appraiser may chime in and give an educated guess. I will be looking at another stone and I want to send only one to an appraiser at a time.

I appreciate the response.

Phobia

Rough_Rock
34.gif
hi there,
As an HRD certified grader, I''d like to tell you the easy way to decide about a cut, in HRD they do it by precentage not by angels, and use the proportion scope to identify these percetages, then they decide whatever it is, it''s not raccist guys, but HRD is the oldest and most proffesional ever, and also they have a cretirea which is a lot diffrent than Americans

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
i had a 3 carat stone purchased for me in antwerp several years. when i went to look at it i insisted they submit it to GIA as well. the GIA came back exactly the same.....................

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results