shape
carat
color
clarity

HRD certificate with Hearts and Arrows

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PS

Rough_Rock
Hi to all,

Seeking the forums comments in the following:

I have seen some HRD certificates which state under the comments section- Hearts and Arrows.

If a HRD certificate states Hearts and Arrows under comments then does (or should) this necessarily mean the Hearts and Arrows are ''true'' Hearts and Arrows?

What does the HRD consider to be a Hearts and Arrows? ie. how accurate are HRD at grading Hearts and Arrows?

THX in advance.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey Garry, I have the luxury that I do not need to worry about political subtleties. At least, I have the illusion that I have this luxury.

In truth, I do not know. I can give a general background answer, but I do not know the real answer.

So, for some background. Until a year ago, HRD would not grade the H&A-pattern, but they had a co-operation with the Japanese lab CGL, and one could ask for a joint grading of both labs. In that case, the stone would return from HRD in a parcel-paper with the logo of both labs, if colour and clarity would be graded the same by both labs. If there was a difference in colour and/or clarity, the paper would only carry the CGL-logo, and would state only their grading.

Cut would be graded according to CGL-rules, with a highest grade of ''Excellent'', no separate grading for proportions, polish, symmetry or finish.

And H&A-grading would be indicated with a stamp, either of H&A, or of ''Hearts only''.

In my previous job, I saw these reports regularly, and I considered the grading of H&A rather lenient.

Since last year, HRD has launched a new option on grading reports, offering the possibility of grading the H&A-pattern. I have never seen such a report, let alone a stone with such a report. As such, I have no idea about their strictness on this or their rules.

Also, I do not know where they mention the grade on the report. But I would be surprised if it is mentioned in the ''comments-section'' of the report.

GIA puts this in the comments-section, if the stone carries such a laser-inscription, regardless of the stone exhibiting the pattern or not. This could also be the case with this particular HRD-report of yours.

And as you can see, a lot of info above, but no final answers to the questions. I am sorry, but I do not know.

Live long,

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2006 4:39:47 PM
Author: Paul-Antwerp

And H&A-grading would be indicated with a stamp, either of H&A, or of ''Hearts only''.
Any understanding of this part? I would have led to believe it was reasonable it could be graded positively for arrows, if not H&A, but not hearts, if not H&A.

Curious.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/26/2006 6:03:39 PM
Author: Regular Guy

Date: 11/26/2006 4:39:47 PM
Author: Paul-Antwerp

Any understanding of this part? I would have led to believe it was reasonable it could be graded positively for arrows, if not H&A, but not hearts, if not H&A.

Curious.
Very good, Ira. I was wondering which attentive reader would notice this.

Indeed, CGL uses two grades, one being ''H&A'', the other one being ''Hearts Only'', and I have seen a lot of stones in the past with the latter grade.

Live long,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results