shape
carat
color
clarity

How's this diamond I recently bought in Singapore?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hindhede

Rough_Rock
Dear All

Greetings from Singapore!

I recently bought a 0.59 ct F VS1 diamond from a reputable jeweller in Singapore for approximately US$1,900. The full details are as follows:

GIA certified
Round Brilliant Cut
5.44-5.51 X 3.27 mm
Depth = 59.7%
Table = 58%
Girdle = Very Thin to Slightly Thick, Faceted
Culet = None
Polish = Very Good
Symmetry = Very Good
Characteristics = Crystal, Needle
Flourescence = Faint
Comments = None

Using the ideal scope, the diamond looks very nearly 100% bright pink.

Would anyone like to comment on whether I bought this at a good price? I'm very tempted to go back to the same shop for more.

:wink2:

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Yes, price sounds very reasonable. The fact that you selected it using Ideal-Scope is quite remarkable :appl:

Have you had a chance to check several stones with ideal-scope?

hindhede

Rough_Rock
Dear Leonid

Yes, as a matter of fact, I spent about 40 minutes in the shop looking at a variety of diamonds using the Ideal Scope. The only diamond that was nearly 100% pink all over was the one I ended up buying.

The shop manager must have thought that I was nuts! He had never even heard of the ideal scope, and so I had to "educate" him on its use. I had to keep reminding him that I was testing for brilliance, not clarity.

He even brought out the DeBeers Millenium Diamond (just for kicks as I could not afford it) so that he and I could look at it through the ideal scope. Guess what? Even the Millenium diamond leaked to a certain degree.

hindhede

Rough_Rock
The one I bought looks like a cross between the illustrations for Questions 7 and 10 in the "Test Your Skills" section of the ideal scope website.(www.pricescope.com/idealscope_test.asp)

It has the same uniform pinkish hue as in the illustration for Question 10. It has also two small white spots nearer the circumference as seen in the illustration for Question 7. (Could this be due to the inclusions?)

The diamond has been set on a ring which my fiancee is now wearing. She has since received dozens of compliments from her family and friends, specifically on the diamond's brilliance.

Little did I imagine that my US$20 investment on the ideal scope could yield such benefits!

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

hfc

Rough_Rock
Hi,
Your diamond sounds beautiful. Which shop was it from? The price you paid seems very reasonable. I've seen smaller diamonds (<0.59 carats) which cost much more. I'll like to know where one can find such diamonds in Singapore. :))

hindhede

Rough_Rock
Are you from Singapore? I got mine from Tiara Collections (specifically their branch at Woodlands). They have several branches at various locations in Singapore.

hfc

Rough_Rock
Yes.

I've never gone to Tiara before. Usually go to Sookee or Aspial. Are the salespeople there pushy? I know the sales staff at the other places like to "talk down" on their competitors products.

oriental

Rough_Rock
Hey, I'm from Singapore too. How and where can I buy the ideal scope?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
and it'll be shipped to you from Australia.[/u]

muffy

Rough_Rock
Hinhede, have you also visited Diamond Industries on Harper Road in Singapore, before deciding to buy a diamond from Tiara? Do you think it's a reputable store?

fajar

Rough_Rock
Taka is one place you might like to visit. They have several shops in Singapore. The one in the city which is easily reachable is at People's Park Centre or Complex. Their price is about 30% cheaper than most other shopping centres.

http://www.takajewellery.com.sg/

fajar

Rough_Rock
About Diamond Industries

It depends on the quality of the diamond you wish to buy. The shop stocks mainly cheap diamonds, if you want quality, you need to ask to examine the ones that comes with the certificates. I guess the pricing would be competitive, when compared with the so called reputable ones in the city.

Most jewellers in Singapore will quote you roughly the same price, given the same quality of diamond. If you want really good stones, you need to get it from shops that only sell mainly unset gem stones. These are the ones that have "runners" running for them. These are usually the Indian traders. You find some of these little shops in Peoples' Park centre (North Bridge Road) or in Lucky Plaza, at Orchard Road.

fajar

Rough_Rock
I am surprised that Americans buy such huge diamonds for engagement rings. The Singapore girls mostly buy tiny diamonds. We can't afford that kind of prize. Most of us get diamonds sizes of 0.25 to 0.50 (half a carat) and that's considered very generous of boyfriends and husbands. In fact for everyday wear, we get ourselves tiny diamonds of 10 to 25 pointers.

Top of the range 1 carat diamonds of between F and G colour do not cost more that US $5,000, here in Singapore.

An example of a tiny (by American Standard) diamond is as follows:

GIA Cert
weight 0.32
Measurements 4.47-4.51 * 2.64mm
weight 0.32
depth 58.8%
table 63%
Girdle thin to medium
culet : none
polish: good
symmetry : good
clarity : VS2
colour: D
Fluorescence: none
comments none

Prize: $580

This one is from Taka, Singapore

glamrock

Rough_Rock
Well hello,

I need to trade in my diamond ring. Do you know a reputable shop in Singapore where I can do this?
Thanks in advance :twirl:

flowerpower

Rough_Rock
Go to Aspial at Citilink Mall and ask to speak to a chap called Andra - I think they do trade-ins. Good luck!

theo

Rough_Rock
Hi! I'm new to this forum (and diamonds and recently bought a 0.40 ct E VVS1 diamond for approximately US$1,450.

GIA certified
Round Brilliant
4.74-4.76 x 2.9 mm
Depth = 61.1%
Table = 59%
Girdle = Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted
Culet = None
Polish = Good
Symmetry = Very Good
Characteristics = Feather
Flourescence = None
Comments = None

Is the price acceptable for a stone like this?

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Hi Theo. Welcome to the forum.

Although the crown-pavilion angle-height information is missing from your stats, in all likelihood the diamond is an AGA Cut Class 2A or 2B cut, which I would translate in laymen's terms as a "very good (2A)" or "very good to good (2B)" cut.

As a Cut Class 2 stone, the price you paid would be an excellent one.

Congratulations.

yeewl

Shiny_Rock
hi, I bought this from taka last october at taka bugis when they had to clear the stocks.
Round brilliant cut

Measurements: 5.95 x 6.02 x 3.72 mm
Weight: 0.82
Depth: 62.2%
Table: 59%
Girdle: Medium to slightly thick, faceted
Culet: None
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Clarity: VS2
Characteristic: Feather, crystel
Color: E
Fluorescence: None
Comments: None
US$2700 (S$4780)*

I just came back from Mel. Did go and visit precious metals at canterbury, hoping to garry.. but i was told he went out for lunch...
8.gif
nice shop you have garry

tjwm207

Rough_Rock
hi hindhede
1.gif

i also made an order for the idealscope. Am also residing in singapore. Now waiting patiently for it to arrive.
1.gif

how long did it take for you to receive it?

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
tjwm, i doubt that hindhede is still on this forum, this thread was started 2 years ago. y dont u check directly with cut nut about shipping time to singappore
5.gif

tjwm207

Rough_Rock
heh... its alrite now.

i just received it yesterday. could be delayed abit due to the xmas and new year holidays.

cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results