shape
carat
color
clarity

How would you set this stone? And by whom?

ilovemesomediamonds

Rough_Rock

Hi!

35.gif

First of all, a huge huge thank you to all of you that contribute your expertise and insights on this forum. I am a diamond newbie and have been lurking for the last few months. Thanks to the knowledge I have gained here, I feel I am able to ask more informed questions (sometimes to the surprise of the salespeople!) as we have started shopping for engagement rings. It''s now time for me to ask you to help design my ring!

I think that we have found a diamond that we are strongly considering and may purchase this weekend. It is a GIA certified 1.35 carat radiant cut, with the following dimensions 6.95 x 5.88 x 4.07 mm, so a rectangle, with a ratio of 1 to 1.18, see photo. I love the personality of the stone but am slightly concerned about the size. How would you set this stone to best show it off (maximizing both size and sparkle)? And whom would you recommend for setting it (preferably in the SF Bay Area or reputable PS vendor if not local)?

For reference, my finger size is 4.5 and I plan to go with platinum. I love solitaires (pave ok, may consider three-stone), claw prongs, east-west settings (north-south is fine too) but I am not a fan of halo settings despite their popularity nor bezels for non-round stones. For the wedding band, I am thinking of a simple thin eternity band (style suggestions welcome), and I definitely want the e-ring and wedding band to lie flush. I want the overall look to be clean and feminine as opposed to rockstar bling. I thought I heard something about "illusion" settings (something with a mirrored mount?) but I am not sure what that is, so if someone has an explanation of that, I''d love to know more.

Thank you, thank you, thank you in advance, dear PSers!

phpiKA8RHPM.jpg

slg47

Ideal_Rock
if you want a solitaire...I would go with a solitaire. What is your approx budget for the setting?

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
I think Leon Mege could make a great setting for that stone!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
yes, if Leon is in your budget...that would be great. He does really nice claw prongs and can help you come up with a gorgeous solitaire or other design. some of the baskets on the solitaires are really exquisite and beautiful!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a gorgeous stone!

ilovemesomediamonds

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/16/2010 3:57:37 PM
Author: slg47
if you want a solitaire...I would go with a solitaire. What is your approx budget for the setting?
Hmm... ideally, $1500 but could stretch a bit. I saw some AMAZING eternity bands at Singlestone that were a bit more than I originally planned to spend and so I''d rather spend on the wedding band which I may wear solo at times (especially after kids). Not sure what Leon''s charges typically are.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
you can always get a quote from Leon, not sure how much the solitaires are. Just curious, where did you get the stone locally? I am also in SF Bay Area.

have you seen any solitaire settings you really like?

ilovemesomediamonds

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/16/2010 4:16:39 PM
you can always get a quote from Leon, not sure how much the solitaires are. Just curious, where did you get the stone locally? I am also in SF Bay Area.

have you seen any solitaire settings you really like?
Derco (it''s in the 888 Brannan Jewelry Mart building). They have their own radiant cut called Galia but I preferred the regular radiant, theirs seemed like more of a cushion hybrid to me, pretty but I wanted something more rectangular. Unfortunately, I haven''t seen many east-west settings anywhere live and I feel like I have scoured all of San Francisco. Is there anywhere locally you''d recommend for settings?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
can''t they just make a regular setting east-west?

I read on yelp that Derco does not do good custom work. If there was a designer setting they have (or anywhere else in jewelery mart) that you liked, then maybe you could get that?

Snow_Miser

Shiny_Rock
Check out Tiger007g''s East/West setting by Leon. Beautiful.

Linky

ilovemesomediamonds

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/16/2010 4:39:35 PM
Author: Snow_Miser
Check out Tiger007g''s East/West setting by Leon. Beautiful.

Linky
Thanks Snow_Miser!! I am drooling....... that is seriously an awesome ring! Those prongs are gorgeous!!

ilovemesomediamonds

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/16/2010 4:29:20 PM
can''t they just make a regular setting east-west?

I read on yelp that Derco does not do good custom work. If there was a designer setting they have (or anywhere else in jewelery mart) that you liked, then maybe you could get that?
Yes, I heard that too about Derco, that it is good if you want one of their existing settings but not so much for custom.

Snow_Miser

Shiny_Rock
I think Tiger paid around $2000 for the setting, which I know is slightly over your desired budget, but the setting it so elegant and delicate, while also including some very unique qualities.

I think that is important in a ring (at least from my perspective). I want any ring I have to stand out slightly from the rest. To be a little bit better
2.gif

ilovemesomediamonds

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/16/2010 4:59:49 PM
I think Tiger paid around $2000 for the setting, which I know is slightly over your desired budget, but the setting it so elegant and delicate, while also including some very unique qualities.

I think that is important in a ring (at least from my perspective). I want any ring I have to stand out slightly from the rest. To be a little bit better
2.gif
Thanks again, Snow_Miser!! Hmm... since I''m not sure about pave for the e-ring shank, maybe it''s possible to get this made by Leon Mege within budget!! I''m wondering what Tiger''s ring size is, I didn''t see it in the thread but the stone was a 3ct so obviously great finger coverage!! My one and only concern about this particular diamond is the size.

Snow_Miser

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/16/2010 5:23:27 PM
Author: ilovemesomediamonds
Date: 6/16/2010 4:59:49 PM

2.gif

Thanks again, Snow_Miser!! Hmm... since I''m not sure about pave for the e-ring shank, maybe it''s possible to get this made by Leon Mege within budget!! I''m wondering what Tiger''s ring size is, I didn''t see it in the thread but the stone was a 3ct so obviously great finger coverage!! My one and only concern about this particular diamond is the size.

I think your diamond will have great finger coverage, especially if you place it in an East/West position. I also think the band would look wonderful with a high polish finish, rather than the micropave band.

Either way it will be beautiful on you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results