shape
carat
color
clarity

How would you set this spinel?

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I just picked up this beautiful spinel (the one at the bottom of each picture) and it's time to work on setting ideas. Too bad I'm at a loss.:razz: I think I'd like something with a halo (to up the finger coverage) but I'm not firm on that yet.

So, how would you set it? This inquiring mind needs to know. :D

IMG_1426.jpg 20170527_115801.jpg

It's just over 1ct and right about 7x5. There's a small window :-o but I don't plan on having it recut because the color is lovely and the window doesn't really bother me on this one. I should also add that I do have some pink spinel melee (all 1.5mm) that I can use for this project but I certainly don't have to.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Getting the ball rolling. Here are some nice halos I've seen.

So, I already own this one but at least I know I love the setting. :lol:
IMG_1429.jpg

Ah, this gorgeous piece..:love:
IMG_1430.jpg IMG_1428.jpg IMG_1427.jpg

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Getting the ball rolling. Here are some nice halos I've seen.

So, I already own this one but at least I know I love the setting. :lol:
IMG_1429.jpg

Ah, this gorgeous piece..:love:
IMG_1430.jpg IMG_1428.jpg IMG_1427.jpg
I like all of them but my guts tell me the first one is my favorite, and it will be fun to wear the blue and pink together since it's already yours!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love all the designs Sparkliesluver posted. For your stunning stone I would choose the third option since you have the melee for it.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First of all :love::love::love::love: If I'm glad you're not going for a recut because I would have to shank you!!:razz: That is some kind of color! Small window indeed which IMO isn't detrimental and likely will close up in the right setting.

How do you feel about yellow gold? I'd do total yellow gold. for melee, ice, ice ,baby!!:mrgreen: if no ice, and a prong set, then absolutely yes to engraving.

There's been a few rings I've seen that have a sateen gold finish. I love that finish. I think it would work well with a stone so saturated.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I LOVE that SATURATED pink. Good keep!
The paraiba design appeals to me most as it doesn't overwhelm the centre stone but enhances it instead.

Ultimately, can't go wrong with any of the settings you've shortlisted. Looking forward to ogling the end product!

S

SparkliesLuver

Hey, lady! Awesome stone! ;-) :)

Do you have any pictures of the stone with the melee? Are they a good match? Or do you have other thoughts/plans for the melee? Maybe a coordinating band, if you don't use them in the ring?

I'd love to see some sort of unique elements to a halo with this one cause the stone can handle it. Something like the last picture where there's another overall "shape/outline" introduced, if you know what I mean. I'll look for some more options tonight and tomorrow. :D

S

SparkliesLuver

Alright. I had to get an idea out of my head, so please excuse the really rough sketches (with and without melee). The actual ring picture was my inspiration - I like the depth created by the different "pieces/segments" in the halo yet I like the little points from the third picture you posted. I tried to do both with your stone, so imagine that same depth when looking at the corner curves in my sketch. Really hope this makes sense. :lol:

Inspiration.jpg IMG_1247.JPG IMG_1248.JPG

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, some kind of color is right. That is fabulous. I say a simple halo following the outline of the stone. The stone is so gorgeous that you don't need to have a lot of embellishment for it to be a rock star ring!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like setting warm colored stones with cool ones, so maybe a blue apatite or paraiba halo. The former would be much less expensive.

I just noticed your avatar is such a combination.

Last edited:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This! Such beauty and style. :love:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OTL , very true. I love my paraiba halo and I'm sure this would look amazing in the same style. :love:

Acinom, I really like the inner colored halo. I could even do the rose gold inner / white gold outer. This is similar to my paraiba ring but different enough to be it's own. :kiss:
First of all :love::love::love::love: If I'm glad you're not going for a recut because I would have to shank you!!:razz: That is some kind of color! Small window indeed which IMO isn't detrimental and likely will close up in the right setting.

How do you feel about yellow gold? I'd do total yellow gold. for melee, ice, ice ,baby!!:mrgreen: if no ice, and a prong set, then absolutely yes to engraving.

There's been a few rings I've seen that have a sateen gold finish. I love that finish. I think it would work well with a stone so saturated.

Ha, that made me bust out laughing. You're something else. :lol:
Sadly, I'm not a fan of yellow gold. My skin looks best with white and I've been able to pull off rose gold but not straight gold. I'm always so jealous of people wearing fantastic gold pieces. :lol-2:

I'm feeling that ice, ice, baby! Diamonds and colored gems are a match made in heaven. :love:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Burmesedaze, thank you. I feel lucky to have her! :razz:

TheElms, that vintage one is gorgeous (though not particularly my style). Your mahenge ring, on the other hand, is lust worthy. Seriously, I'm green with envy on that one. :lol-2::mrgreen:

Minousbijoux, I am considering a simple halo. I think if I do that I may go for slightly larger melee. Like this one, from K9, on LT (freaking gorgeous :love:).

IMG_1436.JPG

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL, what a neat idea. That paraiba melee sure is expensive. :-o

LisaRN, thanks for finding such a beauty. That is a wowza kind of ring. :love: I like seeing it already in red. I don't even have to work to visualize. :lol:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alright. I had to get an idea out of my head, so please excuse the really rough sketches (with and without melee). The actual ring picture was my inspiration - I like the depth created by the different "pieces/segments" in the halo yet I like the little points from the third picture you posted. I tried to do both with your stone, so imagine that same depth when looking at the corner curves in my sketch. Really hope this makes sense.

Inspiration.jpg IMG_1247.JPG IMG_1248.JPG

Aww, thank you SparkliesLuver! That's a gorgeous inspiration ring. I like the depth to it (and your drawing is literally 10 times better than had I tried to do it myself :lol:).

I came across this one on Pinterest that looks like your drawing (without the extra "petals").

IMG_1434.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

Oh, hey - that is very similar! Awesome. :) Thanks for adding the picture. (I should really get on Pinterest.)

I can't wait to see what you decide!

P.S. Thank you for appreciating my super rough sketch!

ETA: I love the slightly larger diamonds on the halo, especially in that picture. :clap::love:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about a three stone halo ring? Is something like this too much (too busy)?

IMG_1443.jpg

Oh, I wanted to add that if I don't use the melee on the ring, I may use it in a companion band. Something floral like below.

IMG_1444.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, Elle, yes and yes!

ETA: and no, its not too much!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd put a halo of either diamonds or the hot pink melee inner and your design in the reverse of the stones so either the pink melee or the diamonds in the outer so a tight halo inner (of one diamonds or pink melee) and a scalloped halo outer (of the other diamonds or pink melee), I'd use both to bump out the size of the stone, and do a scalloped outer edge so it is different enough from your other existing ring. Hopefully I'm allowed to comment since the stone came from me. :))

Last edited:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd put a halo of either diamonds or the hot pink melee inner and your design in the reverse of the stones so either the pink melee or the diamonds in the outer so a tight halo inner (of one diamonds or pink melee) and a scalloped halo outer (of the other diamonds or pink melee), I'd use both to bump out the size of the stone, and do a scalloped outer edge so it is different enough from your other existing ring. Hopefully I'm allowed to comment since the stone came from me. :))

Of course you're allowed to comment! I value your input, since you've seen it in person and you clearly have excellent taste. :kiss:

Do you mean a double halo like this (first pic) with a scalloped edge like the second pic?

IMG_1447.jpg
IMG_1448.jpg

Falco

Rough_Rock
Hi Elle, I was just checking out Yvonne Raleys site and happened across this - the centre gem is 7x5 too, so I thought I would add it for more inspiration (to add to all the great ideas you already have!). I love the way Yvonne isn't afraid of unexpected colour combos, but not sure if she sets outside stones - anyway, more inspo at least.
YR2.jpg YR3.jpg YR.jpg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Elle, I was just checking out Yvonne Raleys site and happened across this - the centre gem is 7x5 too, so I thought I would add it for more inspiration (to add to all the great ideas you already have!). I love the way Yvonne isn't afraid of unexpected colour combos, but not sure if she sets outside stones - anyway, more inspo at least.
YR2.jpg YR3.jpg YR.jpg

Thanks Falco. That ring is crazy gorgeous right? :love: Sadly, she doesn't currently set outside stones but this is some great ring inspiration. :kiss:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OTL , very true. I love my paraiba halo and I'm sure this would look amazing in the same style. :love:

Acinom, I really like the inner colored halo. I could even do the rose gold inner / white gold outer. This is similar to my paraiba ring but different enough to be it's own. :kiss:

Ha, that made me bust out laughing. You're something else. :lol:
Sadly, I'm not a fan of yellow gold. My skin looks best with white and I've been able to pull off rose gold but not straight gold. I'm always so jealous of people wearing fantastic gold pieces. :lol-2:

I'm feeling that ice, ice, baby! Diamonds and colored gems are a match made in heaven. :love:
Well you know some of us are just nutty as hell. :lol-2: But as a community we love to celebrate each other's purchases. Hell feels like it was one of my own! As soon as I saw that stone I was like OMG THAT IS BORN TO BE IN YELLOW GOLD!!! :-o:mrgreen: I don't wear a lot of yellow gold because I have to admit, it doesn't suit me too much either, but I have one ring where it was just mandatory. With that ring and that one alone, it works.

Sure, you could do an apposing color melee and it would be fine.. but I'm probably old fashioned. I would keep it simple so its wearable with everything. I totally think you could do a very special design but melee wise... hmmm put that money to use somewhere else, and as much as I love paraiba and/or hyune melee its being done to death.

This stone needs nothing but ice which will only enhance it. Its a queen, girl!!:mrgreen: Of course IF you wanted to enhance that pinkness, pink sapphires would work! IMO the metal is negligible on this though I still think it could really sing in yellow, but it won't matter as its quite vivid. use whatever works for you right?

I'm absolutely excited for you and can't wait to see where you go with this!:appl:

Falco

Rough_Rock
More inspo - you've probably seen this already, but the colours are closer to yours, with ideas for spinel and diamond melee in a halo. What fun you are going to have designing this ! yrred2.jpg YRred.jpg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I was "shopping" around for some more inspiration pieces. I'm excited to be able to make a new ring (ok, to have someone else make me a new ring :lol:) but I'm all over the place. I'm definite on a halo but looking around like "ooh, I like that" and "oh, wait, look at that one..." There are so many amazing pieces out there. Major ring envy going on. :lol-2:

Here's a couple new pics. :dance:

IMG_1453.jpg
IMG_1452.jpg
IMG_1454.jpg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I saw this one and I have a question. There is a gold basket under the diamond. I know this is used to enhance the yellow color of the stone but I saw this same gold basket used under other colored stones (red, brown, etc). Why is that? Is it just a design in that case or does it serve a purpose?

Also, I like that element on top, where it looks like a bezel but has prongs too. I think it gives a pretty element to the ring. Do you have to have a basket to get that effect? :eh:

IMG_1450.jpg IMG_1451.jpg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No I mean a tight halo that follows the shape of the stone inner and a halo like the one around your last pic the large yellow diamond you like outer.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results