shape
carat
color
clarity

How would you set this pear bright orange spess?

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It has an eye-visible inclusion in the centre of it so I was thinking of bezelling it to better hide the inclusion. It is with Sally right now! :) I was thinking 18k YG and no halo due to the cost. A simple bezel with cutwork? Maybe a single diamond in the shank on either side? I am not good with design and appreciate your help!

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She had the brilliant idea of a miligrained knife-edge tapered shank that is smaller at the bezel base and wider near the bottom. No diamonds in the shank. Maybe a diamond on either side of the cutwork basket and a bezel with miligrain?

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
My thinking was yellow gold and a bezel (like your own idea) but setting it E-W. Looking forward to seeing what you decide.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I’d halo it with black diamonds or black spinel.

Although this is a neat idea, I'd choose to just get the ring in black rhodium, especially if you're going to be on a budget. I think that black diamonds or black spinel won't be that expensive, but the workmanship from Sally will be more expensive than without a halo.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the idea of a split shank bezeled pear like pictured. You could play around with the split shank and make the split as wide or narrow, straight or swoopy as you prefer.
EAE8EA3F-0C66-4368-B9F9-C9239C135AF7.jpeg
I like Sally’s twisted band for the split shank
F8E2CA9F-D1B7-4C6D-84B4-D80FB3642661.jpeg

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for coming up with such amazing suggestions so quickly! Setting it with other coloured gems is tempting but I already have my YR spess and ruby ring which I love. Also, as you pointed out Voce, a halo of any sort of gems would add a lot to the cost. I love engraving, and rubies! I love the white gold pear spess pendant you posted Elle - I have drooled over that one a lot
A bypass ring could work too with a ruby!

20191212_225354.jpg

voce

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for coming up with such amazing suggestions so quickly! Setting it with other coloured gems is tempting but I already have my YR spess and ruby ring which I love. Also, as you pointed out Voce, a halo of any sort of gems would add a lot to the cost. I love engraving, and rubies! I love the white gold pear spess pendant you posted Elle - I have drooled over that one a lot
A bypass ring could work too with a ruby!

20191212_225354.jpg

Do you already have an unset ruby? If not, obtaining a matching ruby is the most expensive option.:Up_to_something:

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
When I first saw the stone I thought bezel or diamond halo. The halo is out cos of budget. So bezel and knife edge band would be a timeless piece. A diamond / gem of Choice on either side of the shank or gallery could add something a little different.
milgrain/ engraving/ cutwork may add more labour cost to the setting???
The stone does pack a punch, so I think simple setting is the way to go. I do like the idea of black contrast to the orange.... yummy!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I couldn’t pair it somehow with some black onyx or turquoise accents
I go the sleek bezel split shank as suggested above.
Beautiful color on your stone -

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha I know Voce, that is so true. I am just getting excited. I don't have a ruby. I was gifted an opaque dark pink ruby from my mom that she bought on a trip to Sri Lanka but it had residues when it was sent to AGL and also I didn't like it that much - she ended up setting it.

I love the split shank idea!!!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m consider setting a spessartite with mocha melee. It’s that chocolate diamond look that’s very popular, so that’s a possibility too. I think darker stones really make spessartite pop.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eager to see it TL! Sounds amazing.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I am thinking of it bezelled in a miligrain setting with an open cutwork gallery with sapphires in the shank. I don't want emeralds in the shank and already have a spess with rubies. I like the look. I am thinking YG. Thoughts? How would you set the sapphires in the shank? Prong, bezel, channel or bead are my options. I am thinking bead or prong.
There is also an cushion emerald which is gorgeous but I tend to not like green even though it is my birthstone. It might be too blingy? It also increases the price (gold, etc). It would be a bypass ring. I am trying to get a photo of the emerald to post here - It is in my email somewhere! 1578167270111_Pearls, Sapphires and Red Hen Eggs 007.JPG Pearls, Sapphires and Red Hen Eggs 006.JPG Pearls, Sapphires and Red Hen Eggs 008.JPG

Last edited:

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here it is with the emerald. It is old stock with no treatment, not even oil. It has some inclusions. Austin and Sowmya choices 042.JPG

Attachments

• Austin and Sowmya choices 045.JPG
    Austin and Sowmya choices 045.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 106

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can't go wrong either way, though as a color combination, the orange and the deep blue of the sapphires is stunning. The deep blue will absolutely set off the spess. Whereas the orange and green will likely compete for attention (disclosure: in general, I do not like the combination of orange and green together).

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Minou! I feel that way as well! The other option would be diamonds in the shank. I am leaning towards sapphires!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m with you both... would go for the sapphires! Blue and orange, especially darker blues, is such an elegant and luscious combination. Will be lovely with your stone:)

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I'm the oddball here and I love the look of it with your emerald, especially if it looks as glowy with some blue in it as the photos you posted show.

It would look like two glowy candies and the oval and the pear are both elongated but different enough to give a visual appeal.

When I see blue and orange
together I just think of football, but thats what I get by being raised by one sports enthused father lol

YhPpC-_z_400x400.jpg
USATSI_6901684-620x844.jpg

Btw, @ilovegemstones I just adore African violets and yours is just oh so happy!! Beautiful flowers (: she can be mines sista sista

IMG-20191126-WA0025.jpeg

Last edited:

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m with you both... would go for the sapphires! Blue and orange, especially darker blues, is such an elegant and luscious combination. Will be lovely with your stone:)
I think this is what I will do! It just speaks to me and seems so powerful! Thanks Blugemz!

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm the oddball here and I love the look of it with your emerald, especially if it looks as glowy with some blue in it as the photos you posted show.

It would look like two glowy candies and the oval and the pear are both elongated but different enough to give a visual appeal.

When I see blue and orange
together I just think of football, but thats what I get by being raised by one sports enthused father lol

YhPpC-_z_400x400.jpg
USATSI_6901684-620x844.jpg

Btw, @ilovegemstones I just adore African violets and yours is just oh so happy!! Beautiful flowers (: she can be mines sista sista

IMG-20191126-WA0025.jpeg

That is so funny garnet girl! I don't think of football at all but can see why you would after seeing those photos! I really do think the emerald would look great with it too. Tough call, but I think I would wear the blue/orange combo more.
Your african violet is gorgeous and I love it in that pot! Here is my mini violet which is blooming again after not blooming for a good year! 20200106_201052.jpg

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
That is so funny garnet girl! I don't think of football at all but can see why you would after seeing those photos! I really do think the emerald would look great with it too. Tough call, but I think I would wear the blue/orange combo more.
Your african violet is gorgeous and I love it in that pot! Here is my mini violet which is blooming again after not blooming for a good year! 20200106_201052.jpg

Awww I so wanted to see them together! I might just have to make an emerald/spess ring :dance:

Ultimately If you love it, I love it! Im also interested in seeing it because you dont often see that blue-orange combo in jewelry!

& that mini violet is friggin' adorable! Has she stayed small? Now im off to Google mini violets haha.
I love african violets, they might actually be my favorite house plants :kiss2:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Here’s a tsavorite and spessartite ring to give
you an idea. I also love speed with paraiba blue stones too.

8D922A58-5824-400C-B9E7-E396329609F0.jpeg

Thats a beautiful ring and I love a good glowy paraiba as anyone but speed?! Speed is SUCH an unhealthy college study fad (;

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks TL. It looks lovely on you but I think on me the spess with little sapphires will be a good fit. In yellow gold although rose gold tempted me too!

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Here’s a tsavorite and spessartite ring to give
you an idea. I also love speed with paraiba blue stones too.

8D922A58-5824-400C-B9E7-E396329609F0.jpeg

Tell me this beauty has a post of her own.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results