shape
carat
color
clarity

How would you set a 9mm Rubellite?

Which setting would you choose?

• Something Else (please share your setting ideas)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
Would you be comfortable sharing the CAD you are rejecting? I'm interested in an over the top flower ringdant and love to see designs.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you be comfortable sharing the CAD you are rejecting? I'm interested in an over the top flower ringdant and love to see designs.

Yes, I would, sorry, as I prefer to share final CADs that I approve, as I believe it is not considerate to the bench to share work in progress designs, that's just me.

I may share them after I have confirmed my rejection on the ring pendant concept completely.

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This project is delayed in that the stone has yet to reach the bench (long story), however, it should reach them by the middle of next week.

In the meantime, I have provided them the depth of the stone, so that they could try and lower it as much as possible. Hopefully, I shall get the revised CAD soon.

Just giving it one more try as a flower ring pendant before I give up on that setting idea, and opt for a flower halo instead.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are a couple of the CADs I received for the ring pendant, and they do not "wow" me as I believe the Rubellite is too big and sits too high as a centre stone for this design. The bench cannot lower the stone anymore.

Please note that the CADs are not complete, in that the melees had not been included in the petals.

QQ图片20201103110207.png QQ图片20201103110202.png QQ图片20201103110213.png

I have requested for a CAD to be drawn for the flower air gap halo, and have offered to pay another CAD fee, as they had worked their money's worth on ring pendant design!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
New CAD for the halo design, not quite there yet, as the air gap is missing and the setting for each diamond needs to be pointy to resemble a petal/leaf.

However it is great as it is, simpler and more elegant, and showcase the stone better, and it does not sit too proud and high.

20201111_063441.jpg

Nearly there.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dk168 I think you've gone with the right design and I agree that the first CADS were underwhelming. Is the new CAD for a ringdant? I think you're right that the petals need to be petal like (and that will reflect the design on the basket as well. One thing I wanted to suggest - the petals slope downwards as they radiate out - do you think it might look different if the petals radiated out straight instead or even curve slightly up? Just a few ideas to throw out there!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dk168 I think you've gone with the right design and I agree that the first CADS were underwhelming. Is the new CAD for a ringdant? I think you're right that the petals need to be petal like (and that will reflect the design on the basket as well. One thing I wanted to suggest - the petals slope downwards as they radiate out - do you think it might look different if the petals radiated out straight instead or even curve slightly up? Just a few ideas to throw out there!

I have decided against the ringdant design, as the chances of me wearing it as a pendant is remote. I am having some pendants made instead that can be worn as sliders or with a bail. :Up_to_something:

I like the look of the halo pointing slightly downwards as per the inspiration ring designs.

Thanks for the suggestion re: flat or slightly pointing upwards halo, however, I am not certain if either would suit this stone myself. Sloping downwards will help to distract the eyes from the depth of the stone IMHO.

I have thought about alternating the angle of each petal though, however, decided against it as the inspiration ring designs do not have this feature.

Below is the ring I am trying to recreate with my Rubellite:

Capture2.JPG

A better picture of the petals that I like:

Flower Petal Ring 2.JPG

Both rings have their halos pointing slightly downwards that I like.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty @dk168 !
It looks like the CAD is having the halo stones completely bezel set. I’m curious if this is your wish - because neither of your inspo pics look to have that?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have decided against the ringdant design, as the chances of me wearing it as a pendant is remote. I am having some pendants made instead that can be worn as sliders or with a bail. :Up_to_something:

I like the look of the halo pointing slightly downwards as per the inspiration ring designs.

Thanks for the suggestion re: flat or slightly pointing upwards halo, however, I am not certain if either would suit this stone myself. Sloping downwards will help to distract the eyes from the depth of the stone IMHO.

I have thought about alternating the angle of each petal though, however, decided against it as the inspiration ring designs do not have this feature.

Below is the ring I am trying to recreate with my Rubellite:

Capture2.JPG

A better picture of the petals that I like:

Flower Petal Ring 2.JPG

Both rings have their halos pointing slightly downwards that I like.

@dk168 I do like the petals like that and I've seen a version where there are two layers also which I find very attractive. Do you have a profile view of the red stone version (photo 2 in your second inspiration above)?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty @dk168 !
It looks like the CAD is having the halo stones completely bezel set. I’m curious if this is your wish - because neither of your inspo pics look to have that?

Yup, that's what I have asked for, as I worry about them popping out, having lost a 10pt stone in my 3-stone heart Ruby ring, and it cost 400 GBP to replace that stone!!!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dk168 I do like the petals like that and I've seen a version where there are two layers also which I find very attractive. Do you have a profile view of the red stone version (photo 2 in your second inspiration above)?

Here you go, screen grab from the video of the ring:

r6441-2-ruby-1wx_side_profile.JPG

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dk168 thanks for the screen grab. I actually like the way the central stone is sitting lower in the basket. It gives a nice fluidity to the piece.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dk168 thanks for the screen grab. I actually like the way the central stone is sitting lower in the basket. It gives a nice fluidity to the piece.

Yup, that's what bugged me with the flower ringdant design - the basket and stone sit too high and proud relative to the petals. May be the shapes and curves of the petals were wrong, the CAD just left me cold, so it is canned.

kimberlyqkim

Shiny_Rock
New CAD for the halo design, not quite there yet, as the air gap is missing and the setting for each diamond needs to be pointy to resemble a petal/leaf.

However it is great as it is, simpler and more elegant, and showcase the stone better, and it does not sit too proud and high.

20201111_063441.jpg

Nearly there.

beautiful!! love your design!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I feel like it’s gonna look stunning when done. So exciting. When do you think the ring will be done?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like it’s gonna look stunning when done. So exciting. When do you think the ring will be done?

Hopefully within the next 4 weeks if not sooner.

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
I love the new CAD!! Can't wait to see it!

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the petals! They look so graceful. I’m so glad you waited for this design to emerge.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have decided to reduce the amount of metal around each diamond for a more fluid/delicate look, closer in appearance and design to the inspiration ring - the one with the Sapphire with air gap halo.

The diamonds would need to be bead set to make them secure.

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
I like halos which slightly tilt downwards also, especially with deep colored stones it helps to connect the shape of the ring with the finger. I like bead settings also to reduce the amount of metal showing between diamonds.

I am trying Diamondmounts now based on your good experiences, because they will manufacture a partly silver and partly gold item, whereas CaiMao will not. Thank you for the recommendation!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like halos which slightly tilt downwards also, especially with deep colored stones it helps to connect the shape of the ring with the finger. I like bead settings also to reduce the amount of metal showing between diamonds.

I am trying Diamondmounts now based on your good experiences, because they will manufacture a partly silver and partly gold item, whereas CaiMao will not. Thank you for the recommendation!

I hope they live up to your expectations, and look forward to seeing your pieces from them.

Please say hi if your contact is Alex as he is my contact there.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another CAD received earlier today, still not quite right so I requested for further modifications.

The diamonds would be slightly larger resulting in a small increase in cost which is fine by me.

In the meantime, I have decided what to make/fix this side of 2020, and have started to plan for what to make/set for next year! :lol-2:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Got there finally with the CAD!

The number of diamonds in the halo increased from 12 to 16 without each one being bezel set which looked a bit too clunky to me.

20201121_051938.jpg

DK :kiss2:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I asked my regular contact at the bench for an updated, and was sent this WIP photo of the Rubellite ring and the 8mm OEC blue Zircon ring.

Both rings still required to be polished etc...

However, they looked good to my untrained eyes!

QQ图片20201212151634_DK.png

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
I asked my regular contact at the bench for an updated, and was sent this WIP photo of the Rubellite ring and the 8mm OEC blue Zircon ring.

Both rings still required to be polished etc...

However, they looked good to my untrained eyes!

QQ图片20201212151634_DK.png

They look like REALLY excellent work and are making me very excited for the projects I am doing with this bench. It's hard to get bezels to be perfectly symmetrical let alone an air gap bezel but from what I can see here they are excellent.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look like REALLY excellent work and are making me very excited for the projects I am doing with this bench. It's hard to get bezels to be perfectly symmetrical let alone an air gap bezel but from what I can see here they are excellent.

Indeed they are great, and I hope they match your expectations with your projects.

I hope to receive pics of the finished rings before they are shipped to me anytime now, and shall post them as soon as they are available.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My contact forgot to take a glamour shot of the rings before he shipped them.

However he took one in their small zip lock bags as part of his routine before shipping for record.

They look very nice to me!

20201217_091119.jpg

Should arrive some time next week, can't wait.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is here and is beautiful!

20201218_155230.jpg

Bonus ring, the 8mm OEC blue Ziron with a Rose Gold bezel, and it works!

20201218_155316.jpg

DK :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay!! So glad your ring have arrived home before Christmas. Both are gorgeous and sophisticated. As I am a huge fan of blues, I especially love the zircon ring with the RG bezel. Stunning!!!
Hope you will post a lot more pics

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results