shape
carat
color
clarity

How would you set a 2ct sapphire?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
Rumor has it I may be getting a 1.5-2 ct sapphire as a combo 1 year anniversary, 5 years sober and 31st birthday present sometime before the year is out...

Feel free to include pics of your ideas on how to set this baby!!

Thanks -

ps, setting it may take another year or so, lol, but it's always fun to plan ahead!
PPS - i'm thinking cushion or oval, and no halo, my e-ring is a halo.

Thanks all!

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
oops.

wifey2b

Brilliant_Rock
Just my 2c worth...I would have it bezelled in platinum, and if affordable, have a wee diamond bezelled just above it...simple but elegant in my idea. Just my idea...i might be able to come up with something else later...giggle

Wifey2b

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! If it's a cushion or oval, it would look dramatic in platinum with half-moon or trapezoid diamonds as side stones. (I love 3-stone rings!). If it's a blue sapphire, you could use pink sapphires as your side stones. If it's a pink sapphire, you could use just about any other color sapphire for side stones.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love three stone rings too! For me, there''s nothing more perfect than the diamond-sapphire-diamond combo. Here''s a pic of mine, which used to be more oval until it had to be recut due to a badly chipped girdle (can you say "Dee Jay is HARD on her jewelry" LOL!).

Sapphire on hand 2.jpg

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Platinum or white gold split shank with pave on the shank.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love it in a paved halo, with minimal metal showing, or the three stone above...GORGEOUS.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love oval side stones for a cushion or an oval sapphire. Also love the idea of half moons as MB mentioned. That''s something you don''t see very often and is a pretty look.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on your upcoming birthday, first sucessful year of marriage, and most importantly 5 years of being sober. That is SO awesome! I hope you feel very proud. Anyways, I *hope* you are talking about a blue sapphire b/c I agree that blue sapphires and diamonds are so yummy together and worthy of such important life/love milestones! I do love halo gemstones but understand that you want something different. Depending on budget, diamond pears would make lovely sidestones. If you wanted to spend less, pave shank. I am really into the PR channel set with a little milgrain thrown in for fun (kind of like my wedding band but add a beautiful cushion/oval sapphire. That would look so beautiful. If you aren''t looking for a RHR you should reconsider a halo (like matatora''s beautiful necklace) maybe if it is an oval, set it East to West and add a double or triple chain. There are endless ideas really. What a fun project!!!
36.gif

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
*bump*

DeeJay - what size is that stone? That is gorgeous! If I have my druthers I will eventually get diamond sides for the sapphire - but that will take a long long while.

I am thinking of switching to a 2ct round.. I can not make up my mnd of what shape I want. but a round in an antique setting would be nice.

anyone else have hand pics of sapphires, any color, about 1.5-2 cts? Just so i can get an idea of what it would look like on my hand.

Thanks!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pokey Special, Pokey Special, Pokey Special ... I think his Tsvorite was just over 2 carats??

ETA: And I vote for Cushion-shape or Cut-cornered Square... since your e-ring is round!

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
How about something similiar to how Pokey''s tzavorite is set?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/18/2006 11:29:52 AM
Author: treysar
*bump*

DeeJay - what size is that stone? That is gorgeous! If I have my druthers I will eventually get diamond sides for the sapphire - but that will take a long long while.

Treysar - This stone is actually a little bigger than what you're looking at (the sapphire is a 4.01 ct--it was a 4.18 before it had to be recut due to a couple of chips
15.gif
--and the side diamond are .70 ct each) but doing something proportional with a slightly smaller stone would still be gorgeous!

(If you do go the side stone route don't forget that sapphires are about 30% denser than diamonds so a 4 ct sapphire would be about the side of a 3 ct diamond. At first I picked side stones that were too big for the ratio I was going for becuase I was thinking of them all in terms of diamond sizes.)

I do love that Pokey Special though -- Yum Yum!
30.gif

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
Wow - 4 cts! It is such a beauty!!

I wonder, is there a generic chart somewher that says how big a 2ct sapphire would be in mm? I guess there are to many variables for something like that.

Kismet, that split crown is to die for...

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never seen a chart like that (as you mention, too many variable since there are no "ideal proportions") so the way I think of it is just by using the 30% figure. That's obviously not an exact science by any means but at least it gives me *some* idea.

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I saw exactly how I want toset my sapphire - with very tiny trapezoid diamonds - the thingi s, traps are really expensive!!! So I may wait awhile...

I''ll keep you guys posted!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have a pic? I''d love to see the setting you''re thinking of.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
congraulations on the sobriety. i would get a princess diana setting, but that''s me.

i, too, have been sober since nov 12, 1991.

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
Lady Kemma - thanks for sharing - that''s great to hear! I swear, it is never EASY, but sometimes it does get easier.

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
treysar - you didnt say what color saph so I will post my fav, w/a pink stone, I think I saved it from the harry winston website. Have no idea what the specs are, or even if it''s a sapphire at all, maybe it was a pink diamond!! But I like the side stones.

harrywinstonpink.jpg

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
this is my other all time fav. I think it's a vintage tiffany's... forget who owns this??? Oh, and it's a tanzanite. But I love emerald cuts! even though this one seems like it has a big window... I just love the color and setting.

ETA: Oops!! Just realized you said you already found the setting you wanted! oh well, more pretty bling to admire...

tiffanytanzanite.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
love it, flopkins! i think its hard to avoid a window with an emerald cut.

that setting would be lovely with pretty much any color stone!

movie zombie

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
Hey FLopkins, that''s almost like what I''m talking about - see how tiny the baguettes are? I want a big stone, small traps setting. I''ll try to photoshop one...

It will be a blue sapphire.

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
treysar - it sounds lovely!!! will it be a round stone then?

movie zombie - perhaps, I don''t know that much about it, I just know I LOVE emerald cuts!!! I think that it might depend on the type of stone too....
18.gif

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
a 2 ct square cushion is what I have decided on. I will keep you guys posted on my find :)

Thanks for all of your suggestions and feel free to psot more pics if ya have ''em!

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
sapp_trpb.jpg

Here''s what I''m looking for, but with smaller traps..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results