shape
carat
color
clarity

how would you feel about these needles?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mousey

Shiny_Rock
Hi All.
What do you think of this stone? In particular the needles? Ed (who is super helpful and nice) said that they will be visible to people with excellent eyes who look at the stone closely and that some people think they actually add to the beauty of the stone. We (me and the boyf) have no experience buying jewelry- this is the first and might be the last time, so we want to get it right. I don t need ''perfect'', but I don t want a ''flaw'' either.
As always thanks in advance- you are all fantastic.

http://www.wildfishgems.com/inc/sdetail/9809

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I''m not super fussy about inclusions and things. I''m not sure if the needles would bug me or not. It depends how obvious they were in real life. But does the sapphire have some sort of color zoning? Wish we could see more pics in different light.

mousey

Shiny_Rock
There are some more pics, if you click ''more images''. Its a color change stone. We are thinking about having it set as a solitaire, so maybe a color change would be pretty?
Thanks for replying innerkitten. You ve been so helpful!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I was just at a jewelry store yesterday admiring a purple sapphire that was just that color. It was absolutely stunning. Of course, the price was in the stratosphere as well.

I don''t generally notice inclusions in colored stones, especially in one that dark of a color. Remember, the stone is quite small. Here, I''ve shrunk it down a bit for you.

I think that you would be quite pleased with it.

ccs178-b1Msm.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
No problem :) So are you looking for an e ring or is this for a rhr? You''re after the deep blue type of color?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2009 11:03:42 AM
Author:mousey
Hi All.
What do you think of this stone? In particular the needles? Ed (who is super helpful and nice) said that they will be visible to people with excellent eyes who look at the stone closely and that some people think they actually add to the beauty of the stone. We (me and the boyf) have no experience buying jewelry- this is the first and might be the last time, so we want to get it right. I don t need ''perfect'', but I don t want a ''flaw'' either.
As always thanks in advance- you are all fantastic.

http://www.wildfishgems.com/inc/sdetail/9809
I can''t say that those needles would ADD to the beauty of the stone. They''re not the same as the silk you get in some fine sapphires, but they''re just some intrusive needles. I have a lighter stone with some needles, and they bug me. You might not notice it in a darker stone. Make sure you ask if there are any brown secondary hues in that stone, and if it goes extinct in certain light sources. Colored gems can dramatically alter in appearance in various lighting. It looks kind of dark/blackish to me in the picture, but maybe it''s my monitor.

mousey

Shiny_Rock
Its for a e ring innerkitten. I am very excited!

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
The first Kashmir sapphire i saw was in the crown jewels of England. My little brother and I were transfixed. When we got home, I started researching. In that case, the rutile silk made the stone look like velvet. In this case, the needle appears to me to distract rather than enhance.

mousey

Shiny_Rock
thanks everyone- I will ask about the colors TL, and thanks for the little pic flygirl. This whole process is so exciting! I just can t wait to find the perfect stone. I still think maybe this is it??.....

icekid

Ideal_Rock
It is so hard to tell from these super zoom photos what the inclusions will really show in person.

My (also unheated) sapphire has a few similar needles, but I can only see them rarely in certain lighting when looking closely. So obviously they don''t bother me and are rather unobtrusive.

From the photos, these ones may be easily visible. Is there a good/easy return policy?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
how will it be set? could maximize or minimize the effects of the needles/inclusions.

i don''t know that i''d let it bother me: its a color change and if perfect would be totally unaffordable. its small and most people are not going to examine it as would a pricescoper. its affordable. to get a better stone you will have to pay more $ [probably a lot more] and/or go even smaller in size.

what is important is that you like the stone and can live with it. you may not know that until you see it in person. check with him re his return policy.

despite having needles/inclusions, this stone does not appear to have two of the things i detest the most in color stones: extinction and windowing. inclusions i can accept, but not extinction or windowing.

mz

mousey

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Movie Zombie. I was going to set it very simply either as a solitaire in platinum, or with some pave 2 point diamonds in white gold. I think I like the diamond option. BUT we went around Hatton Garden today (the london jeweler quarter), and we seemed to like some pave options but not others. I don t know how to describe the ones we liked accurately. It was nt that the ones we liked had bigger diamonds, or more of them (as some we liked only had 3 or 4 diamonds), rather it seemed like the band was made of diamonds. This seems silly, but it seemed like there was a fluid connection between the diamonds and the sapphire. As we are doing this whole thing online (most probably with Ed Bristol), it might be safer to stick with the solitaire setting.

mousey

Shiny_Rock
ps, icekid. He does have a good returns policy, but I really don t want to rely on that, as we are really running up against our absolute max in terms of budget, and it would cost a bit..... I mean it would be possible, but given price constraints....

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In your first post you say you don''t want a stone with a "flaw". My concern would be that as you know the needles are there, you would consider that a flaw, you could possibly end up only seeing the flaw and then regret buying the stone and not saving a bit more and getting an eye clean stone (been there, seen it, and worn the tee shirt I''m afraid!). Does Ed do a sale/return option? If you really do love the look of it, I''d suggest getting it to see. The only real way to know for sure is to have it in person, put it on your hand and judge from there.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2009 2:25:47 PM
Author: movie zombie
how will it be set? could maximize or minimize the effects of the needles/inclusions.

i don''t know that i''d let it bother me: its a color change and if perfect would be totally unaffordable. its small and most people are not going to examine it as would a pricescoper. its affordable. to get a better stone you will have to pay more $ [probably a lot more] and/or go even smaller in size.

what is important is that you like the stone and can live with it. you may not know that until you see it in person. check with him re his return policy.

despite having needles/inclusions, this stone does not appear to have two of the things i detest the most in color stones: extinction and windowing. inclusions i can accept, but not extinction or windowing.

mz
I don''t know about that MZ, it looks like it has some extinction to me. Again, maybe it''s my monitor, or the pic, but I''m not thrilled with the color.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would pick the best possible stone within my budget for an e-ring. The needles might be obvious when the sunlight hits it just right and would bother me because I know it''s there, so my eye would be able to pick it out often. He also stated that it is moderately included - this means that the inclusion is eye visible. If it isn''t, he would have called it eye clean or slightly included and charged a higher price. The inclusions are NOT pretty. They look more like scratches on the table.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm...I think you could probably do better unless this stone is EXACTLY what you want, and within your price range.

Perhaps we could find you something you might like even better?

I do think it''s a pretty stone though!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Personally I''d just as soon spend a fraction of the price and get a heated stone from a Thai seller on eBay.

The wildfish stone doesn''t do it for me at all.

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
hi mousey, the stone is a beautiful color, but personally if it was for my e-ring, i would be bothered by the lines (needles?) across the stone

if this isn''t THE stone for you, i say keep looking, i''m sure the right one will come along :)

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I would be bothered by needles, but I''m a person who is currently bothered by a 3 (or so) mm scratch on a gold ring, so you get the picture
9.gif
I''m not saying the stone doesen''t have anything nice about it (color change, cut is ok, outline is nice and it has nice transparency; which I love), just that this would bother me, but someone else might feel totally different.

mousey

Shiny_Rock
Hi all again,
Thanks for all your help. I do like wildfishgems- their policies, etc. So I d like to deal with them. Here is another I was thinking about. I like the idea of a color change stone. Since it would more than likely end up as a solitaire it would make it a little more interesting. What do you think of this one?

http://www.wildfishgems.com/inc/sdetail/5598

Thanks again!
28.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In terms of clarity it''s a much better option. However, the cut isn''t as good and the culet appears off centre in the photos (but it''s difficult to tell as none of the photos are head on images). If the culet is off centre, it will affect the appearance when mounted and it''ll always look like the sapphire is lopsided. However, I would definitely ask Ed for more photos or for his critique of the stone as it could be just the photos.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cut is obviously not as good but the colour change is decent. Are you all right with the zone of purple right across the center of a blue stone? Some might think it''s cool while others say no-way. To most people, a cc sapphire should be one colour only but only you can decide if you love it. You''ll see the purple zone during the daylight hours. At night, it''ll blend in with the rest of the purple colour.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''m really in the go smaller and get a better stone camp unless you really want a color change. the good thing is there is something for every budget, the bad news is that most of us have budget limitations and have to make a choice about what we can or cannot live with.

mz

mousey

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone again.....

I do like the purple stripe, chrono. I m looking for natural, unusual rather than perfect, but not ''flawed''. I do still love the look of the purple with the needles.......
I think what you say is sensible mz (smaller, better quality). I am being a little greedy- I want a 1.5 carat, color change within budget. So, yes, I think something will have to give (and unfortunately it won t be the budget).
I have a lot to think about!
I ll post again when we have made some headway.
Once again- thanks everyone. I think you are amazing to give your time and expertise like this. I would love to be so passionate and knowledgeable about something, and be able to share that with others.

mousey

Shiny_Rock
To all who helped me- innerkitten, fly girl, tourmaline lover, icekid, movie zombie, loving diamonds, chrono and freke child, etc- a big huge Thanks!
I decided to go with the blue bicolor/color change. I asked Ed about the cut, and he said it was just the photos, and the cut was actually very good. I can t wait to receive it now!!!! And then I am on to settings.... I decided to take loving diamonds (thanks a mill for all the advice) advice and get one from ebay. I looked at lord of the gems and american set co. I like some of the very simple settings american set has to offer, and they also will guarantee that the set will fit the stone, so I think (maybe) I will pick one of their settings. But I will wait until the stone arrives to decide what to do. I will try and take some pics, but my skills with my camera and my computer leave a lot to be desired (I still have nt worked out how to get the photos from the camera to the computer yet).
So, again thanks! I feel like I am actually getting somewhere now (provided that we both like the stone when t arrives, which I am sure we will).

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Looks like a very beautiful and interesting stone. Can''t wait to hear what you think of it in person. Will you post photos for us?
1.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations, mousey. I''ve been looking at that sapphire for a while now, thinking that it was a great choice for someone who wanted something a little different and unusual. I''m sure you will love it. Please come back again with more pictures of your own, and let us know how you like it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!! If you do decide to go with an LOGR, I highly recommend you tell him it''s for an e-ring, and you want to upgrade the diamonds. It''s $249/ct to upgrade the diamonds (so for example if the ring has a half carat of diamonds, it''s 249 x .5 = $125 to upgrade). You can also upgrade to 18K for around $12/gram.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great news Mousey! I can''t wait to hear your review and see the photos. When you take photos of the loose gem if you want some (very much unprofessional and rough) help superimposing it onto a few LOGR setting, shout up!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results