shape
carat
color
clarity

How would you describe this color?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I am trying to make some earrings. I love the color of these aquamarines but I am not stuck on getting aquamarines and don't think this is a typical color anyways. How would you describe the color? What other stones can get me this color?

aquamarine-bluepurple.jpg

beach

Brilliant_Rock
Steel blue? Unsaturated Tanzanite or Spinel can look similar.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I was thinking spinel too if only I can find one with a tinge of lavender.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
It's blue with a bit of grey and violet. I also think that's frequently found in spinel.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Slate blue? In addition to spinel and tanzanite, you see this sometimes in sapphires, including some Montana sapphires. Gemfix used to have some along those lines, but I'm not sure there were any pairs. That might be where your challenge lies, finding the matched pairs!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's quite an easy colour to find in Tanzanite because it's not the top colour for that gem. It's very much a grey/blue. The problem will be finding matching ones I think.

Just did a quick search and found these. Are they too small and too blue? I don't know the seller so haven't got a clue how good/bad he is. However the description appears to be honest.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/pair-4mm-tanzanite-round-cut-gemstones-/270606650773?pt=Loose_Gemstones&hash=item3f0169cd95

I suspect this pair will be more the colour you want IRL. The photo's been taken to enhance the blue (see how pink the background looks?) but I have a feeling they'll be more grey. Again, I have no idea about this seller.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BEAUTIFUL-PAIR-TANZANITE-GEMSTONES-VVS-CLARITY-/170611189375?pt=Loose_Gemstones&hash=item27b938267f

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CharmyPoo|1301243055|2881181 said:
I am trying to make some earrings. I love the color of these aquamarines but I am not stuck on getting aquamarines and don't think this is a typical color anyways. How would you describe the color? What other stones can get me this color?

aquamarine-bluepurple.jpg

Greyish blue.
You will have a hard time finding spinels of matching color and shape in that color, but spinels do exist with that color. It's just hard to find them in that tone. Most are very dark.

I think your best bet, outside of aquas and spinels, would be tanzanites. You would probably more easily be able to find a pair that color as well.

Here's a briolette spinel with a similar color. Because of the lack of inclusions, I would require a lab report on this one. He calls this color purple, but I would call it a greyish violet-blue.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-03ct-Briolett...ultDomain_0&hash=item564344cf7e#ht_2245wt_958

You can also probably find diffused sapphires this color as well.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Gemfix is a good suggestion -- they often have Montanas & I've seen pairs there once in a while. You might ask them if they could cut you some, or at least keep an eye on their site. I love Montana sapphires!

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Grayish blue without a doubt. You aren't going to find them in more aquamarines because many aren't that dark in tone. Perhaps sapphires will be easier. Not likely in spinels because most gray blue spinels are also very dark in tone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1301317504|2881746 said:
Grayish blue without a doubt. You aren't going to find them in more aquamarines because many aren't that dark in tone. Perhaps sapphires will be easier. Not likely in spinels because most gray blue spinels are also very dark in tone.

I think Paraibainternational.com has a lot of greyish blue aquas that tone, and probably pairs. They are worth checking out, and Adam takes offers.

pixgirl

Shiny_Rock
Blue-gray - they are spectacular! Very icy.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Darn it...she already answered. I was going to say, ask TL as she loves aquamarines :rodent: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: ;)) ;)) ;))

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are very pretty and I would call them a steely blue gray too. I think the less saturated tanzanite would match that color really well (I actually like that shade of blue better than the darker violet - blue tanzanite). I really like aquas too but finding good color in aquas can take quite a while. Have fun shopping!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Montana sapphire!!

ladyvengeance

Rough_Rock
I'd also say steel blue.

One of the colors I most admire. Icy, austere. Just beautiful.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results