shape
carat
color
clarity

How were you announced?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LauraBabe08

Shiny_Rock
at your reception? I am filing out my paperwork for the DJ and I need to put how we want to be announced.

Mr. and Mrs. Matthew LastName?

Laura and Matthew LastName?

Dr''s LastName? (we''re both PharmD''s)

What did you/are you going to do????

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Mr. and Mrs. Hisfirstname and Myfirstname Ourlastname

My parents complained to me that it would sound "clunky" but then my mom heard it that way on several reality wedding shows and they stopped complaining. :)

I like traditional phrasing as a general rule, but there was something about having my first name completely omitted that really didn''t sit well with me (and still doesn''t...I cringe whenever I see "Mr. and Mrs. DH''sfirstname Ourlastname" - as one of my married friends said to me when we picked up our placecards written this way at a wedding, "Where did my name go?")

I typically don''t use Dr. as a title in social situations unless the person is a medical doctor...but it''s definitely cool that you''re both Drs, so maybe "Dr and Dr Yourlastname" might be a fun intro!

LauraBabe08

Shiny_Rock
I like the idea of Mr and Mrs Matthew and Laura Lastname.

I like my first name and want to keep that in the announcement

Just Mr and Mrs Lastname makes me feel like his parents
7.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
We''re going with Laura and Brad Lastname. We''re leaving out the Mr and Mrs because, well, we''re 25 and we don''t really feel like a Mr or a Mrs yet. Haha. Plus it''s not a particuarly formal wedding, so it seemed better to leave it out.

Elmorton, totally agree that I dislike the Mr and Mrs Hisfirtname Lastname. On our STDs I used everybody''s first and last names, no titles (the same way we''ll be announced at our wedding). I wasn''t sure what to put for FI''s new step-grandma (just married in Jan) and his aunt said "Dr and Mrs George Lastname". I was sooo against it and wanted to use her actual name (and not doctor ... he''s not even a medical doctor) but FI told me to just do it and not complain
2.gif

tropiqalkiwi

Shiny_Rock
We are probably going to be introduced as Mr. and Mrs. Ourlastname. I totally see your point about that being associated with his parents though, and it''s making me rethink a bit.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
We did same as Elmorton..Mrs. Hislastname is his mother. I don''t know that in 7 years I''ve ever referred to myself as "Mrs." and the times that I''ve been called that I rush right in and say "Please, call me Missi" I don''t want anyone thinking I''m his mother.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I agree that it''s still weird to hear Mrs. Lastname - even nearly 2 years later. It''s not so strange with my students (most call me by my first name), because as a general rule, they''re younger, but I definitely double-take when that''s my "name" in other situations. For example, last week I was sick with a sinus infection and went to the doctor, and the doc walked in and said "Hi Mrs. Elmorton, I hear you''re not feeling well" and I sat there in a stupor for a minute thinking "Wait, did they get the right chart? I''m not an old lady!"

Back to the OP - it IS fun though to be introduced as Mr. and Mrs. for the first time at the wedding, though! When we talked to our guests, a lot of folks congratulated us and called me "Mrs. Elmorton," which I thought was kinda sweet.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 2:18:12 PM
Author: LauraBabe08
I like the idea of Mr and Mrs Matthew and Laura Lastname.

I like my first name and want to keep that in the announcement

Just Mr and Mrs Lastname makes me feel like his parents
7.gif

Ditto. It''s your wedding day after all, so Mr and Mrs sounds nice. I would leave the Dr out of it, sounds a little toffy to be honest.

ozsparkle

Shiny_Rock
I have a similar question. My fiance is a Dr. so we have two options

Dr. and Mrs. His first name, my first name, our lastname.

OR

Mr. and Mrs. His first name, my first name, our last name.

In the end we will probably go for option 2 as everyone there will know he is a Dr. so no need to point it out, and mr/mrs will probably sound smoother.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not changing my last name so I''m thinking we''ll just go with our first names. What do people usually do for that?

I might just skip the announcement thing altogether, actually.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
We basically snuck in to the reception
3.gif
there was no hulabaloo announcement. We walked onto the patio and started saying hello to people (and learned very quickly what the clinking glasses meant - we had no idea).

Our DJ "announced" the first dance by saying "please welcome the newlyweds to the floor for their first dance as a married couple."

Thing2, you could do something like that, or substitute your first names for "newlyweds," or whatever, really
1.gif

basil

Brilliant_Rock
We used first names only. We used first names for announcing the bridal party and the parents too, so I think that made it flow better and be more casual. I didn''t change my name, so I didn''t want to be "Mrs. DHlastname".

That said, this was one of those things that we didn''t think about til the day of the wedding and the DJ came up and was like "uh, what should I announce you as?"!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 7:01:00 PM
Author: thing2of2
I''m not changing my last name so I''m thinking we''ll just go with our first names. What do people usually do for that?

I really like it when couples are announced, because then the guests know right away how to refer to the couple and there are no awkward moments afterward. Plus, it''s pretty standard in most wedding ceremonies for the officiant to say something along those lines at the end. I think two classy ways of saying it are "I have the pleasure of introducing the newly married couple, John Johnson and Jane Jennings" or "Please join me in congratulating the newly wed John Johnson and Jane Jennings"

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 7:27:07 PM
Author: Elmorton
I think two classy ways of saying it are ''I have the pleasure of introducing the newly married couple, John Johnson and Jane Jennings'' or ''Please join me in congratulating the newly wed John Johnson and Jane Jennings''
I really like both of these suggestions!

paeony

Shiny_Rock
Premium
We weren''t announced-- (our wedding and reception were at the same site) - our receiving line just led to the party
1.gif

For you, I personally like the Drs. First names and last name

I think its awesome that you are both PharmDs-- nothing wrong with having a little fun with it!
And why not show off a little at your own wedding!! (Goodness knows you worked for that title!)
Its one thing to insist on being called Dr. all of the time- or at someone else''s wedding, but in this case you''re in front of friends and family on your big day-- I like it!
(plus it eliminates the Mr AND Mrs- fn AND fn- ln)

Whatever you decide-- have fun and enjoy!!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is only appropriate to use Dr. as a social title if you are a medical doctor, so I definitely would not choose that option.

I believe we were announced as "Mr. and Mrs. Hisfirst and Myfirst Ourlast. Do what''s most comfortable for you!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
quick threadjack sort of

If you are hypenating your lastname i.e my first name mylastname-his lastname what is the protocol on that one?

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 10:59:33 PM
Author: Haven
It is only appropriate to use Dr. as a social title if you are a medical doctor, so I definitely would not choose that option.

I believe we were announced as ''Mr. and Mrs. Hisfirst and Myfirst Ourlast. Do what''s most comfortable for you!

I totally trust you to know, Haven, but this is a bunch of hooey. Very fascinating that only MDs get credit for their educations in title.

I tend to like it when the introductions are in the style of "Please welcome the newly married Laura and Matthew LastName."

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 7:01:00 PM

Author: thing2of2

I really like it when couples are announced, because then the guests know right away how to refer to the couple and there are no awkward moments afterward. Plus, it''s pretty standard in most wedding ceremonies for the officiant to say something along those lines at the end. I think two classy ways of saying it are ''I have the pleasure of introducing the newly married couple, John Johnson and Jane Jennings'' or ''Please join me in congratulating the newly wed John Johnson and Jane Jennings''

Sorry to contribute to the threadjack, but I totally agree. I like to hear exactly how the couple prefers to be referred to now.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 12:16:23 AM
Author: katamari

I believe we were announced as ''Mr. and Mrs. Hisfirst and Myfirst Ourlast. Do what''s most comfortable for you!

I totally trust you to know, Haven, but this is a bunch of hooey. Very fascinating that only MDs get credit for their educations in title.

I tend to like it when the introductions are in the style of ''Please welcome the newly married Laura and Matthew LastName.''

Only MDs are special katamari, didn''t you hear? That''s such BS...
20.gif

Look at me, going on like I have a PhD or something hehehe.

(although there is probably a reason for that rule of thumb)

paeony

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Laura is probably not even leaning to that option, but c''mon... really?
I have to disagree with you on 2 levels here--
First, as a social title, its about what that individual prefers
Second-- "rules of society" really shouldn''t matter at your own wedding-- its not about what''s "socially acceptable"-- its about what you want on your day.

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Mr. and Mrs. Ourlastname. His mother didn''t change her last name after her wedding, so no danger of being associated with his parents (thank God!)
3.gif

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
Mr and Mrs HisFirstName OurLast Name - I dunno, i know some people don''t like leaving out their name, but by throwing in his first name, I don''t get the parental association. So I think that works best for us.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I planned on taking his name when I got back from the honeymoon and could fill out the paperwork.

We were announced Mr & Mrs (MY NEW LAST NAME!!!! His last name)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 5:47:25 AM
Author: paeony

I believe we were announced as 'Mr. and Mrs. Hisfirst and Myfirst Ourlast. Do what's most comfortable for you!
Laura is probably not even leaning to that option, but c'mon... really?
I have to disagree with you on 2 levels here--
First, as a social title, its about what that individual prefers
Second-- 'rules of society' really shouldn't matter at your own wedding-- its not about what's 'socially acceptable'-- its about what you want on your day.
paeony--Please don't misinterpret my knowledge of a practice with an endorsement of it. (ETA: What I'm saying is: you are not disagreeing with me. You are disagreeing with social practice. I am merely the messenger.)
The PhD is the highest degree we award here in the US, yet we do not call PhDs "Dr." in social situations. Do I think that is fair? No. If I had a PhD would it bother me? Probably not, because I don't worry much about being recognized by other people.

However, as a member of society, I appreciate it that we have "rules of society" because they make all of our lives more pleasant. Disagree? Do a quick search here on PS for all the rant threads about how someone's in-laws did something insanely rude, or how someone was wronged by a stranger on the road, or cannot believe that her friend asked to wear XYZ to her wedding.

As for the social titles, I do think it is snobbery when people who are not MDs insist on being called "Dr." in social situations, but I try not to think about it for too long, because it doesn't really affect me at all. If the OP chooses to ignore the social mores and use Dr. when announced, more power to her. I would just like for her to be educated on the fact that it is likely that this choice will appear snobbish to at least a number of her guests, that's all. It's up to individuals to decide what works best for them, but I do like to be educated before I make such choices, and I assume others prefer it, as well.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

I believe we were announced as 'Mr. and Mrs. Hisfirst and Myfirst Ourlast. Do what's most comfortable for you!

I tend to like it when the introductions are in the style of 'Please welcome the newly married Laura and Matthew LastName.'
I totally agree with you, kata. Judith Martin discussed why this became the practice in her book about the history and evolution of American etiquette. I'll look it up and share when I have time this weekend, as I'm sure the story is amusing in the very least.

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 7:29:37 PM
Author: musey

I think two classy ways of saying it are ''I have the pleasure of introducing the newly married couple, John Johnson and Jane Jennings'' or ''Please join me in congratulating the newly wed John Johnson and Jane Jennings''
I really like both of these suggestions!
Ditto! Thanks, Elmorton!

I think you may have just suggested the compromise my SO and I were looking for!!

LauraBabe08

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all your helpful advice. We plan to be announced as "Mr. and Mrs. Matthew and Laura Lastname.

As for the Dr. thing - I did address my envelopes for my reply card as Dr. Laura ________. I do not refer to myself as Dr is normal situations, but professionally, I am referred to that way. When it came to choosing my "title" for my envelopes, I didn''t like Miss, and so it was b/w Ms and Dr and I guess since I technically am Dr. (its on my diploma) I went with it. (especially b/c I just graduated less than a yr ago, so its very exciting to me!) I hope no one thought I was snobby or offensive.
7.gif

bootsiekin

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 10:20:40 AM

I tend to like it when the introductions are in the style of ''Please welcome the newly married Laura and Matthew LastName.''

I totally agree with you, kata. Judith Martin discussed why this became the practice in her book about the history and evolution of American etiquette. I''ll look it up and share when I have time this weekend, as I''m sure the story is amusing in the very least.

Yeah, I would also like to know why only MDs get recognized "socially" for their education. I would like to point out that almost all PhDs take more years of school to get than MDs and we work very hard for that status. My dad had a PhD and EVERY one referred to him as Dr. no matter what the situation. I know once I get mine I will want to be referred to as Dr. not because I am a snob, but because I earned that title fair and square and spent 6 years doing it. Obviously times change, women used to not even keep their last names if they wanted to because it wasnt "socially acceptable." So maybe nowadays you can be referred to as Dr. when you have a PharmD or PhD socially. I''ve never heard of anyone being upset or thinking someone was snobbish for wanting to be called Dr. when they had a PhD or other doctorate degree. Okay, sorry, but this just hits a nerve for me.

Anyway, my sister is an optometrist, and used first names only when being introduced (as I did also) since we didnt change our names. As in "I would like to introduce for the first time as a married couple, HisFirst and HerFirst" That worked really well, but now my sister gets all kinds of mail for Mrs. when she should be Dr. So I agree with whoever said that maybe you should be announced how you want people to refer to you. If it were me, I would do "Drs. HisFirst and HerFirst HisLast"

bootsiekin

Shiny_Rock
Laura,

I really wouldnt worry about anyone thinking you were snobbish - at least not where I come from. I think you should be proud of your education and your hard-earned degree! Anyone who isnt proud of or doesnt respect you for earning that high academic achievement shouldnt be at your wedding anyway, in my opinion.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results