shape
carat
color
clarity

How true is this statement about color

Vegasvick

Rough_Rock
This is from the diamonds pro website

"Second, if you’re buying a round brilliant cut diamond. As we mentioned in our guide to diamond color, the round brilliant cut is excellent at concealing yellow coloration. If you choose any grade higher than H, you’re paying for a feature you simply won’t be able to see."

is this accurate?

relevant to larger stones say 1.8 carat and up ??

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on the size of the stone and your personal sensitivity. I cannot see the difference between an ideal cut G (sometimes H) versus D unless they are upsidedown and next to each other, but I am not color sensitive.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Absolutely not true. Everyone is different. I am color sensitive, but I can tolerate (and enjoy) color in certain pieces. In my engagement ring and anniversary diamonds, I wanted colorless. @RunningwithScissors is a superseer, she can pluck out her ice queen D diamonds with relative ease, I’m sure. :)

Vegasvick

Rough_Rock
Great responses, it just seemed like such strong statement i wanted verify

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
That statement is NOT true.

I can easily select a D out of a line up of D-E-F-G diamonds. I've done it many times in many different lighting situations.

Both biology and training account for the ability to discern subtle color variations.

Preference is different than the ability to see the variation. Some people like cool, colorless diamonds, while others prefer warmer ones.

There is also contrast to take into account. What you place next to a diamond (or any object) affects your perception of the color and tone of that object.

For example, my diamond engagement ring looks a lot lighter in tone when my husband wears it, then when I am wearing it (my husband is much darker complected than I am and the contrast is greater on him.)

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Someone once told me H is the color most sold. I’m not sure if that is particular to that one place, or a verifiable fact..

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
Is it true that face-up, the H-I-J looks very similar to the D-E-F-G ranges but the flashes in D-E-F-G is whiter/"icy", as compared to the colorful/yellow flashes in H-I-J ranges?

asterismdispersion

Shiny_Rock
At one gem show I heard a vendor make a similar statement: "we do not stock any diamonds in colors higher than 'G' since anything whiter than that is paying for a difference that can't be seen face up." I only had an I colored stone at the time but considered this to be a sales pitch I had overheard instead of solid advice.

Like others have stated, I can detect a slight difference in tone between my E and H-I diamonds. H takes more focus for me to discern the little bit of tint. (I do not have a G colored stone for reference.) Yes, I can make out the comparative lack of tint in the facets flashing on an E vs H color.

stepcutsoiree

Rough_Rock
I think that is not entirely true. Anything below F, I can usually see the yellowish tint.

100% of the time, I see color in anything under a G.

As others have said, it’s not true that you can’t see (as in they are completely identical to the eye) colour in an H / the difference between D and H is non existent. But whether you’ll be okay with an H or lower (I, J, even K) is something only you can answer. I’m not particularly colour sensitive (probably unusually colour tolerant) so for me H-I is my sweet spot but I’ve seen an L and considered that reasonably white too.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
i can see color nuances and prefer diamonds that are E or D. Even some GIA Fs look slightly tinted to me. However, if the wearer isn’t color sensitive, I agree with the statement. I know of several 2 plus carat GIA G diamonds discussed on Pricescope that looked too yellow to the buyer.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
My ER is a sweet .33ct MRB set in yellow gold bezel. I barely remember what colour it was graded (I think G or H) and had it been a D, I wouldn't have noticed. Fast forward 20 years later, if I had a 2+ ct stone set in white gold, I would notice the difference between H and DEF easily as I know what I'm looking for now, or I'm conscious of it.

That said, the statement is probably accurate for a good majority of people (especially here in Australia) who are new to buying diamonds and aren't looking at anything above 1ct.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Someone once told me H is the color most sold. I’m not sure if that is particular to that one place, or a verifiable fact..

It was true for a lot of years but since the price increases it would not surprise me if it is now I.
For many years a good balance of properties vs price was the g-h range vs/si.
With the most common even today budget range of $5k-$6k for the mean budget for a engagement ring and for many years you could hit a well cut 1ct and a nice setting in that G-H range.
These days you have to go to I-J for that price range.
PS preference has followed suite as more people discovered there is nothing wrong with diamonds under H.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was true for a lot of years but since the price increases it would not surprise me if it is now I.
For many years a good balance of properties vs price was the g-h range vs/si.
With the most common even today budget range of $5k-$6k for the mean budget for a engagement ring and for many years you could hit a well cut 1ct and a nice setting in that G-H range.
These days you have to go to I-J for that price range.
PS preference has followed suite as more people discovered there is nothing wrong with diamonds under H.

I’ve recently been sold on K color for super ideals, so I can see how I could be the new H. I think K is the new J.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You’ll see it yes how could anything be 5 shades different and you not notice.
Will you care? Hard to say.
There’s a difference between seeing and being bothered by it.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
This is from the diamonds pro website

"Second, if you’re buying a round brilliant cut diamond. As we mentioned in our guide to diamond color, the round brilliant cut is excellent at concealing yellow coloration. If you choose any grade higher than H, you’re paying for a feature you simply won’t be able to see."

is this accurate?

relevant to larger stones say 1.8 carat and up ??

Completely disagree 100%.

Vegasvick

Rough_Rock
Found it! Here it is...

lizzies-diamond-color-guide.jpg

From this picture i can definitely see the yellow tinge in KLM, a bit harder to notice face up on h-j but again this is all on a picture.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
From this picture i can definitely see the yellow tinge in KLM, a bit harder to notice face up on h-j but again this is all on a picture.

Which looks different on every monitor so no 2 people see the same thing.

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
I saw a k before.. Definitely yellow even from face up.. My spouse noticed the yellow too.

Estrella185

Rough_Rock
I saw a k before.. Definitely yellow even from face up.. My spouse noticed the yellow too.

We also need to remember that as you go down in color those colors have ranges, for instance not all J stones look the same in tone. I have what would be considered a “high” J which looks more like a H/I. I’ve found color to be very subjective, so many things to consider ( fluorescents , setting metal etc. ) all have a bearing on how the diamond will appear to the eye.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ANY generalized statement is simply not true!!!
Wait

Seriously- I'm in agreement with those that find the statement totally off base- and could easily be seen as misleading.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results