shape
carat
color
clarity

How to Verify Diamond Authenticity?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kmacdoogel

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I am in the process of buying a HOF diamond from someone I think is a reputable dealer.

I would like to verify when I pick up the diamond that I got the diamond I expected.

How can I tell if the GIA or AGS Certificate I get is the original?

How can I get a duplicate GIA or AGS Certificate direct from the company that appraised the diamond? This way, I can verify the jewelry didn''t give me an incorrect certificate.

How can I tell if the GIA or AGS Certificate REALLY goes with the diamond I bought?

All the diamonds are laser inscribed - so can I look at the inscription in the store, when I buy it and when I pick it up? If that matches the Cert - I will be pleased, but I would still like to get a duplicate from AGS or GIA to find out if the certificate they gave me is the original.

The store is http://www.longsjewelers.com/
longs jewelers

Thanks in advance.
Kevin

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
Hi Kevin,

Longs has a very good reputation and you shouldn't have a problem. But, it is a vey good idea to know your stone and how to identify it. If it does have some inclusions, ask to be shown them prior to setting and after and match them to the plot on the certificate. You could also measure the stone if you had the right tools, but once it is in the mounting it will be tougher to do. A loupe can pick up the laser inscription. The best bet is to know the inclusions. No matter where you purchase a stone, errors do occur and it isn't all that unusual to see a wrong certificate with a stone. This is usually just clerical error but it does happen. I have even seen them come into the retailer with the wrong certs. Cindy

kmacdoogel

Rough_Rock
Thanks very much - this is good advice.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results