shape
carat
color
clarity

How to value and grade blue topaz?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Scuba Steve

Rough_Rock
Hi could anyone please help me? I have been fossicking for about a year now and would like to sell some blue topaz i found... so i can buy a facetting machine. I have found mostly blue Topaz i have a pic but its noty very good... I think it''s 200 mg / Carrat is this correct? if the case it is 7.5 ct and washed smooth by the water as found... i also have 1 that is in its crystal shape and it''s 5 ct i have looked with a light and magnify lens and cant see any flaws...

any help would be greatly appreciated...
1.gif

Londonchris

Rough_Rock
Most blue topaz is actually heat treated yellow material.
Looking at one of my stone dealer sites,a nicely cut blue topaz will cost me $23 carat or thereabouts.
Cutting and polishing stones well is a difficult task ,so good luck if you want to give it a go.
Sorry i can`t be more help than this.

Scuba Steve

Rough_Rock
thank you london chris. yes i no its quite difficult but im willing to give it a go and learn...My blue topaz are natural blue found from the earth untounched... so thats why i dont no how to grade them or value them...

Thanks

my topaz crystal 1.jpg

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s a neat thing you have found, but you would need to do additional tests to determine whether it is blue topaz or some other stone like apatite or even worn glass.
I think what london chris is tring to tell you that the cost to facet the stones would be more than what you would get from selling them.

Scuba Steve

Rough_Rock
thank you all im sort of getting there haha i think it will pay to look for a local lapidary club to help me a bit more..... i was told it is a topaz as i have a aqua marine and its completely different ? i realise it will cost a bit in blades and didcs or whatever you need to cut them... but as yet i just want to sell some as found to try and but some machines to start...

thank you all for your help
emsmile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results