shape
carat
color
clarity

How to trust in a local jeweler ?

bearcub907

Rough_Rock
If you would to buy a loose diamond online and have a local jeweler do the setting, how do you know that the local jeweler actually used the diamond you gave them and not some other diamond that has less quality? (this is for someone like me who is not a diamond expert)

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,
If you buy a loose diamond it possibly will have the GIA serial number engraved on the girdle. Assuming you would buy a GIA. If not, you may have to buy a loupe to look for your blemishes. When you receive the ring back, you can verify its the same diamond. I would also have the jeweler look at the diamond with you to confirm it matches your certification report before he does the work (at drop off). Ask the jeweler to write a comment on the receipt confirming this information.

My original plan was to do just the very same thing. Buy a loose diamond online and have it set locally. Turned out IDJ was competitive with several local jewelers and even beat out a few. With that said, by the time I was ready for my custom setting, I only trusted IDJ to touch the diamond and create the setting. Smart move on my part!

It would be best to do some exploring on the internet about any local jewelry you are considering. Read feedback or Yelp scores. Honestly. Or word of mouth recomendatuons. It might take you awhile to find a good local person.

My last comment would be also check with a few online vendors might be surprised the price differences (may cost less online).
Good luck!

bearcub907

Rough_Rock
Very helpful, thank you!

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Hopefully more will jump in and comment....

When I commented about having the jeweler confirm the diamond when you drop it off, its to cover you. You will have in writing what diamond you handed over. Later, if the diamond returned to you is not the same one you tuened over, you have it in writing that's not the diamond u handed in.

Doing this never, ever, ever occur to me. Read it on PS. Beyond excellent idea. Takes out all the questioning on everybody's end.

It could also protect the jeweler if someone makes a claim that the diamond being returned to them isn't the one they handed in for work. Sure that happens.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Inclusions, facet patterning, polishing level/line are unique to each stone. You identify your stone with great accuracy with a loupe, with some practice. Loupes are cheap and available at ALL jewellers. Some even have a microscope.

Plus, there are the inscription. Hearts and arrows patterns, color tint, transparency, and light performance are identifiable with naked eyes. You just need to be familiar with your own stone and what to look for.. If anyone swaps, you will know.

Regarding trust, can you fully trust any vendor or jeweller whether you buys a loose stone or finished product? Some go thru an appraisal to ensure the product is according to the order and in a good condition

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Matching a diamond to a GIA document usually isn't that difficult. It's done by the dimensions, inclusions, minor details like fluorescence, and girdle inscription. Normally the jeweler will inspect it when you drop it off, for their own protection if nothing else, and they'll do the same when you pick it up. You can, of course, do the same. You can also filter it through an independent appraiser if you're worried about it (get it appraised both before and after). That also allows for a quality control inspection on the craftsmanship.

Insurance is available for exactly the problem you're worried about. Get it appraised first and buy insurance before you even begin. It doesn't change the risk of the jeweler stealing your stone, which is tiny by the way, but it makes it someone else's problem.

If you REALLY don't trust your jeweler, rather than are just covering your bases, find a different jeweler.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results