shape
carat
color
clarity

how to trust a jeweler with your diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

umgoblue2003

Rough_Rock
I''m not sure if this topic even belongs on rocky talk... if not, let me know and i''ll move it:)

I have a solitaire diamond ring. It''s been passed down in the family, so it doesnt have a certificate with it.
The problem is that there is so much yellow gold in the setting that the ring (which is at least a G or better in color) looks increidbly yellow!!
So I''m looking to resett the diamond.

My boyfriend keeps asking me how I know I can trust the jeweler I''m thinking about going to; which I thought was a pretty good question!

How have any of you found that you can trust a jeweler with such an expensive item? Is there any way to garauntee that nothing will "happen" to the diamond?

I''ve never done this before, so I have no idea what to even ask the jeweler.

I''m thinking about going to a family owned jewelery store in town - they have two stores in town, both which are pretty big (so they have a GREAT selection), and they are family owned and have been around for a long time.

any advice?:)

LaserLady

Rough_Rock
It is common to be concerned about a diamond, specially one that has been handed down through the family. First things first, (since you don''t currently have a plot of the stone) have you ever looked at your diamond with a microscope. Prior to the developement of diamond inscriptions the best way to identify your own diamond was by studying what it looks like. Of course this only works when there are inclusions in there to recognize. I have a diamond that has been in the family for ages. It has a small dark inclusion very close to the center of the stone. I always knew I was looking at my stone. A reputable jeweler wil understand your concern and do their best to calm your worries. Ask them to let you look at your diamond prior to handing it over. Study it...learn something about it.

Secondly, finding a reputable jeweler may feel like a daunting task. But it does''t need to be. Keep in mind, a family owned jewerly store that has been around for many many years and even has two locations is usually safe. They haven''t been around for that long by taking advantage of customers. Of course there are always bad apples. Ask friends, relatives, coworkers....ask ask ask.

Once you find a jeweler that you are comfortable with you will feel as though you have found a friend. And that is a good thing :)

Nancy

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome umgoblue and Laserlady.
35.gif
Most jewellers are very trustworthy and would never ever risk their reputation by swapping diamonds. The best thing would be to get a 10 power loupe which I believe you can find online to purchase and get to know the diamond yourselves. Make you own map of any inclusions as an identifying feature and you will always know your diamond. Hope this helps. Also you might want to clarify with your insurance company what the diamond is covered for, to include resetting, also with the jeweller to make sure it is properly protected. Accidents can happen, it is rare, but best to make sure your diamond is covered and also whose insurance is responsible, yours or the jewellers.
1.gif

gem-geek

Rough_Rock
There is a very easy and safe way to assure that nothing "happens" to your stone while the jewelers has it.

When you take it in to them for work to be done, before it ever leaves your sight, have the jeweler put it under a microscope (after cleaning it thoroughly) and plot the stone, showing you each of the features that makes your diamond unique. Once you agree with the plot, measurements, etc... on the plot, have the jeweler make a Xerox copy of the plot and give you the original(the jeweler keeps the Xerox copy). Before you leave the store, you and the jeweler sign your copy of the plot and his copy signifying that he/she, as well as you agree that the plot matches your stone. When you go to pick the diamond back up, have them put it under the microscope again and orient the stone so ALL of the features line up. No two stones will have the same inclusions and blemishes oriented in the same way.

Good Luck. If the jeweler is unwilling or unable to do this for you, find a jeweler who will.

Rick Concannon
President
Concannon Jewelers, Inc.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rick puts it very nicely and accurately as a good proceedure to follow. There is also an option called the Gemprint which is a laser photographic fingerprint of your diamond. Finding a local jeweler who has one can be problematic, but if there is one that will make it easy for you also.

Normally you can look at the diamond through the microscope and identify one or two things that are uniquely yours. that makes it easy.

Wink

umgoblue2003

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all your advice!
I''m going to start the process soon and will share pics once it''s all finished!:)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results