shape
carat
color
clarity

How to tell if it's too shallow from visual inspection?

meumax

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I am considering a stone which has a depth of 59.7% and table of 59% and am concerned that it may be too shallow after reading about something called "obstruction" which affects stones of too shallow a depth. I'm going to view this stone in person, would it affect this stone and how can I tell if this is issue is a problem when I look at it?

http://www2.gia.edu/reportcheck/ind...tVerification&reportno=2116622084&weight=1.05
Carat weight: 1.05
Dimensions: 6.61 - 6.63 x 3.95 mm
Colour: G
Clarity: SI1
Cut: Excellent
Depth: 59.7%
Table: 59%
Crown Angle: 34
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Price: $7,700

HCA: 1.3 within TIC range. Excellent for everything except scintillation which is very good.

I'm going to view it along side another stone at the same shop. The details of the comparison stone are as follows:

http://www2.gia.edu/reportcheck/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.showReportVerification&reportno=5106949981&weight=1.02
Carat weight: 1.02
Dimensions: 6.46 - 6.49 x 4.00 mm
Colour: F
Clarity: SI1
Cut: Excellent
Depth: 61.8%
Table: 54%
Crown Angle: 34.5
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Price: $8,200

HCA: 1.3 within TIC range. Excellent for everything except spread which is very good.

So which stone do you consider to be the best value and when I view them side by side, what should I be looking for to choose the best one?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is not to shallow in that it will have to much obstruction of the mains with a 40.8 pavilion.
However it does have a shallow crown so there might be a little over the kite facets called paddles by some.
View both diamonds at around 6 8 12 inches and at 1/2 and full arm length in as many lighting conditions as possible and block the high intensity halogen and led lights as much as possible when comparing them if they are present.
Make sure there is a good return policy.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Should be fine. Obstruction is the stone going dark when you look at it too close, all stones have that, just how far from it before you can see the effect. If at normal distance, about an arm's length away, the stone goes dark, then it is a problem.

Personal preference between the 2. Just tell the jeweler not to tell you which is which and then compare them side by side, in as many different lighting situation as you can and see which you like best.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think these are both good options, try the experiment that Karl mentions and then just trust your eyes and which one appeals to you more!

meumax

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice guys.

I looked at them today and they were both excellent performers. Got to see them in office lighting and under sunlight.

Louped them and one of them seemed a bit cleaner to me. It turned out to be the G so that's the one I ended up buying.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results