shape
carat
color
clarity

How to take a digital picture w/out magnifying glass or loupe?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Yoga

Rough_Rock
I am trying to take a digital picture of my ring on my hand but to no avail and I don''t have a loupe or magnifying glass. Is there a way to do this or do I need to go and get myself some tools of the trade?
sick.gif

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
If you have a macro setting on your camera, use that...

DancinGirl

Shiny_Rock
Holy crapola!
6.gif

Yoga - your ring looks HUGE! Sorry, but I happened to go and look at your other pics you had in there and there is a beautiful picture (2 actually) of your ring in a box. Post that for everyone! What size is that center pear shape? That is exactly what I want - but with a Round Brilliant in the middle with two pears on the sides. Gorgeous ring! Post that pic for everyone!
10.gif
Where did you get yours done?

Wowzers...

DancinGirl (blinded by the rock)
10.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HONK HONK! That's some rock!

PoopEater

Rough_Rock
Yoga, you have beautiful hands.
1.gif

Did the macro setting on your camera work? Your camera should somehow let you know when it achieves a 'focus lock'. Figure out how it communicates this to you, then keep moving your camera back from your ring until you can get focus lock. You may have to bring the camera back 12-24" from the ring to get it to focus. What camera are you using? If I knew this, I could help you more.

noles9498

Rough_Rock
I share your pain of trying to get a good photo! I was completely unsuccessful last night, and who wants to send out a picture that doesn't do the ring some sort of justice?!?! Of course, now that I've seen your rock maybe I'll just skip my little photo all together!

loopy.gif

Just kidding.....yours is blindingly beautful, though. All of your b&*(#)^ acquaintenances (assuming you have at least some) are going to think it's fake.
2.gif

DancinGirl

Shiny_Rock
Wow - over 4 cts.... over $30K??.... my lord that is only something I would be able to dream about. (although my great aunt has a 4ct round, but she is in her 70's and it was bought over 20 years ago)

Well, I have the opposite problem... I have SMALL hands. Size 4.5 finger! Which is good for my guy who has to buy the setting. Won't have to go giganitic or anything. I have a 1.07ct round stone for the center of whatever he decides to get. I am really liking the 2 pear sides, but I also like one with a baugette and a small round on each side too.

I have this stone because if you ever read any of my earlier posts, I had an old ring from an ex fiance since the engagement didn't work out - and I was able to trade it in for a larger loose diamond. The center stone of that one was IDeal .80ct, with .21 cttw in channel set diamonds. I didn't want to spend personally a lot more money - so I ended up going down in clarity from a VS1 or an SI2 and I went up in color from an I to an H. The stone I know is going to look huge on my finger - but as any girl - I WANTED BIGGER! My guy when the time comes will probably upgrade my stone and trade it in so I get better quality like I had wanted to do. Heck, half the work was already done for him!
2.gif

Enjoy your ring - it is GORGEOUS, and I wouldn't just say that!
9.gif

DancinGirl
2.gif

WalnutCrunch

Rough_Rock
Yoga,

I haven't taken photos of a ring yet (that's because I'm still searching!) but I have taken close-ups of small objects with a digicam before. I can tell you how I would do it (it's by no means the only way); although all cameras are different so you'll have to read your manual for some of the features. I've checked the specs for the PDR-M65 and it looks like it's got many features so that's a good thing.

Here we go... Make sure your ring and the camera are both completely stationary (ring on table, camera on mini tripod or table), this is important because we're not going to use the flash (most point and shoot cameras' flash drowns out subjects in close range, and we want to control the lighting). Instead, position lighting (desk lamp, halogen spot light, etc.) so that the ring looks great thru the lens of the camera. The lens should be at wide angle (zoomed out) and positioned no less than about 4 inches from the ring. The ring will look small, but most point and shoot cameras can't focus any closer than this. You'll have to crop the picture later.

(Here's where you'll have to start using your camera's manual) Put your camera into Aperture Priority mode and choose the smallest aperture (puts more of the object in focus when the photo is taken). Choose the highest resolution (allows better cropped pictures later). Choose a low ISO (50 or 100). Turn on Macro Mode as well (usually a button, tells the camera that you want to focus on a close-up object). Turn off the flash. Turn on the 2-second timer (this will let you press and release the shutter button and let go of the camera, to eliminate camera shake that happens when there's no flash).

You can take the picture at this point, but I would manually adjust a couple more settings (if available). First of all, indoor lighting is usually orangy in colour. You'll want to choose a white balance setting on your camera to counteract that (the W/B setting is sometimes called Incandescent, and even better if you can set your own using a piece of paper). This will make the light look whiter and more natural. Also, if your camera has manual exposure setting, I'd set that too; but every camera is different and you can get by without it.

Now, you're ready to try taking the picture. Hold down the shutter button halfway, hopefully it'll indicate that focus as been achieved (green light or something). Go ahead and press it all the way and release (all the while keeping your fingers on your other hand crossed). You should have a picture in about 2 seconds. If it turns out, great. If not, keep trying. You'll want to crop out the ring in a photo editor.

You can try getting closer to the ring and start experimenting with other settings after you've got the hang of it. As I said, I don't have a ring yet, but this will be the first thing I try once I get it!

Good luck!

WC

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results