shape
carat
color
clarity

How to source a good princess cut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cjpd

Rough_Rock
Hi

I am a complete novice trying to source a 3ct princess shape diamond for an engagement ring. I have done some research and know I want a D-F (probably F) and VS1-2 stone. However, I am really struggling with the cut.

I would like to get a cut which is top quality, but don''t know how to go about that. I have read the AGS standards on this site - but that doesn''t really help as the online sites only seem to give GIA stats. Furthermore, I live in the UK and the market here seems much less sophisticated than in the US. Although we have plenty of jewellers, the prices they quote are HUGE (think 1.5 to 3 times what you see on the internet - even after allowing for UK VAT). So visiting lots of shops to compare different diamonds is not really an option I have.

So - is there a reliable way to choose a top quality princess diamond online? Some sites suggest that an ideal cut princess is one with table and depth 70% or less - but the things I am reading suggest it is all much more complicated than that....

Any help much appreciated.

Chris

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I prefer princesses with 58% to 68% tables, 65% depth +/- 5% and most important a 9% or higher crown height.
Try to avoid ext thin girdles, as they chip very easily... Avoid ext thick girdles as well, as you're paying for something you can't see in face up position.
Also, I don't like princesses with indented naturals near the corners, cause they are likely to chip during the setting process.
I hope you don't mind me telling you that I think superbcert.com and goodoldgold.com have some of the most beautiful princesses I have ever seen.

Hope this helps

Giangi

cjpd

Rough_Rock
Many thanks - I guess I will just need to ask the various online vendors about crown height (since none of them seem to give that information)....

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Yes, it's a good ideal to ask for a Sarin or OGI report. I am in Europe too and unfortunately these analysis are pretty uncommon here, though. I want you to know that with fancy shapes your eyes are the best judge! Don't rely on numbers only!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There are no generally accepted "norms" for cutting standards in the fancy shapes. Some will look incredible and some will look horrible. I have princess with a 98% depth that should look like "doggy doo" by the numbers that is quite attractive. It also looks smaller than it is because so much of the weight is in the depth of the stone, but I bought it because it was gorgeous and cheap. It was not until I got back from Antwerp and measured the stone that I realized why it was so cheap.

With fancies your eye will be your best judge. Numbers can tell you a lot about a stone, especially with rounds, but with fancies it is an entirely different deal. Don't buy anything without the right to return it if you don't like the way it looks!

Wink

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Wink,
1.gif
congrads with your 3rd post! Just kidding
1.gif
Welcome
wavey.gif

article.

Love this picture, Wink
1.gif

wink.jpg
[/u]

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results