shape
carat
color
clarity

How to set to minimize warmth?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a new leuco garnet that basically has a color similar to an L diamond. I don't know what gold color would minimize that tint. I know it will be bezeled to protect the points. But white bezel? Rose? Yellow? Maybe a thin white bezel and an outer 18k gold bezel?

Any setting ideas? It's an odd shape but I love it and want to make it into a very unique ring! No diamond side stones a though as I think they'd detract from it.

_2982.jpg

_37162.jpg

_37163.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Platinum or white gold bezel I think would be the way to bring out the whiter tones. I agree staying away from side diamonds as that will accentuate the yellow tint of the L color by contrast. Pretty shape!

2ndchance

Rough_Rock
Mine is a K color diamond with J side stones in white gold and I don't see yellow tint at all

_3559.jpeg

_3560.jpeg

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The GIA text on diamonds says warm stones do best in yellow gold, it actually lessens the tint in the stone.

I set my K pear in white gold because I didn't know this yet. I'm not happy with the look at all.

If I re-set this stone, it'll be in yellow gold, peach gold, or red gold.

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It smy experience that warmer stones almost always face up whiter and brighter in yellow gold. Hence, I dont hesitate to set stones as low as QR/ST in yellow gold.

That stone is stunning, by the way - I love them fancy, unsual shapes like that. Lots of luck setting that beauty! :love: :love:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is one of the real life examples I was thinking of when I wrote I thought plat or white gold (and it seems unplated white gold is a good choice from this example) possibly making the diamond look whiter. Look at Packies gorgeous ring set in yellow gold and then unplated white gold. Gorgeous both ways but so much whiter when set in white gold. Her AVCs are L/M color.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/packrats-avc-three-stone-and-wedding-band-by-single-stone.180821/page-2']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/packrats-avc-three-stone-and-wedding-band-by-single-stone.180821/page-2[/URL]

Packies L/M AVCs set in yellow gold:

pacratsbandinyellowgold.jpg

and then set in white gold:

packratsbandinwhitegold.jpg

And my GIA LVS1 OEC is set in platinum and it looks white and bright to me and picks up the color from the environment including the platinum it is set in making it look whiter in a white setting. My experiences of course and as you see YMMV. Looking forward to seeing what you set your beautiful stone in MTG. :appl:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Taking a page from Haven's ring where her jeweler set a little yellow diamond under the culet to add warmth to her diamond... if your setting will have a little doughnut, you could put a little blue sapphire under the culet to cool your stone!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1463152375|4031252 said:
Taking a page from Haven's ring where her jeweler set a little yellow diamond under the culet to add warmth to her diamond... if your setting will have a little doughnut, you could put a little blue sapphire under the culet to cool your stone!

Oh, how interesting! I had no idea Haven's ring had that little detail -- had to look it up... That's a really smart idea, Pinto!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Missy, thanks for posting those! It's unplated wg and I think that makes a difference too. It's not such a stark contrast w/the stones. Your brain thinks it's white metal and the stones are white, when in fact the metal is creamier and the stones are as well. Kinda cool, seeing the differences between the stones in the different settings.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Packie, I love your band. I loved it before the reset but I loved it even more after. The unplated white gold fits so perfectly with your gorgeous AVCs. :love:

It is amazing how different a diamond can look depending on the setting.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
hi- I purchased old cut L/M color earrings from a ps member-they were set in yellow gold and showed very yellow, I reset into platinum and they look WAY whiter now. love them! I will try to find pics and post.

SandyCheeks

Brilliant_Rock
I have an N RB set in rose gold in a white gold basket, I think it minimizes the color from the top view. Nothing will minimize the side view though. I also have a 5 stone O/P in YG and that definitely plays up the color.

_3613.jpeg

_3614.jpeg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would do either unplated white gold (for a hint of creaminess) or Palladium (the grayish white hue will help minimize warmth).

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Yellow gold or unplated wg :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results