shape
carat
color
clarity

How to set these Russian Demantoids?

tara3056

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone - long time, no see! I've taken a long break from Pricescope, during which time I have only acquired a very limited number of new stones, and none that I have set. However, I have a real weakness for Russian Demantoids. Unfortunately, they are difficult to find in larger sizes (and typically unaffordable when you do see them), so I've only managed to collect several smaller stones. I'd like to set them into a pendant, but I'm not having much luck in finding a design that I like that incorporates a number of smaller stones vs emphasizing a central, larger stone. In terms of style, I am mostly drawn to vintage Edwardian pieces, followed by some Art Nouveau and Art Deco pieces. I prefer platinum, like halos, and think almost every colored gem piece is better with diamonds for contrast :)

So far I have 8 demantoids. All are Russian with horsetail inclusions. Some are explicitly unheated; others with low heat. They are not perfectly matched, but I think the varying colors are still complimentary. (The 2 tiny yellow stones are 2.8mm topazolites / yellow andradites) Probably 3 of them are superior over the others in terms of color, but they're all appealing to me. One of the pictures is blurry, but I'm including it because it shows the neon-ness these garnets exhibit with indirect sunlight shining in from a window. They look even better and much more sparkly/fiery outside of the case, sitting on my hand - really earning the 'diamond like' description - but I was too scared to attempt a picture for fear I'd send the little stones flying.

The sizes are:
4.4mm x 3
3.7mm
3.8mm
3.2mm x3

I'm still hoping to find a 5+mm stone at some point, but I've already been waiting awhile with no luck.

If anyone has any designs they've seen that incorporate a bunch of smaller stones (preferably vintage-y), I'd love any help I can get in trying to come up with a way to set these lovelies!
Demantoids1.jpg Demantoids2.JPG Demantoids3.jpg

tara3056

Shiny_Rock
And for the record, I don't care for the Marquise-like shape I have them laid out in, nor do I have to include the topazolites in the design (though would consider it if I found a design I liked that could use them).

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tara I don't have any suggestions but wanted to say those are very lovely demantoid garnets :love:.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous collection of demantoids. :mrgreen2::lol-2:

These may be totally different than what you're going for but you've got to start somewhere right. :lol:

IMG_1932.jpg IMG_1933.jpg IMG_1934.jpg IMG_1935.jpg IMG_1936.jpg IMG_1937.jpg IMG_1938.jpg IMG_1939.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would add diamond & demantoid melee toward a circle pin / pendant - more modern than this WWW

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I looked to Romanov for inspiration as well for antique designs.

S

SparkliesLuver

Your stones are so beautiful! Wow. What a collection. :)

I only have three design suggestions, but I figured I'd share them anyway. I could definitely see some diamond melee incorporated into these as well. ;-) I cannot wait to see your finished piece!

Idea.jpg

Idea1.jpg

Idea3.jpg

ETA: I realize a stick pendant may not totally be your style but with your stones having such a pretty graduated size, it made me think of it. Maybe you could add some Edwardian touches to it to make it more your style. Just talking out loud. haha

tara3056

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for the designs you posted! None of them are *quite* right for my stones and taste, but they have given me a lot of ideas and I've enjoyed looking at the Romanov Russia site and a couple of others for inspiration. SparkliesLover, the first pendant you posted is very much my style and I could easily imagine incorporating my stones into it but think I'd need to pick up 1 more ~4.4mm for the 4 flowers, then 1-2 more of the smaller stones depending on if I went with the 3.2 or 3.7mm size + a larger central demantoid (or could do diamond, but I think the dem would look nicer). I liked this design so much I tried to do a quick mockup of where the dems would go. The only concern I'd have is if it turned out to be quite a large pendant. I don't think I'd wear it much if it was wider than about 0.75" and I'm just imagining the design might necessitate a bigger pendant? I do like that this design incorporates diamonds and that the demantoids wouldn't have to be so well-matched because they're kind of spread out. It's just vintage-y enough for my taste :)
Dem Pendant Idea.jpg

tara3056

Shiny_Rock
Here are a bunch of other layouts I tried with my stones - some with a placeholder of another stone variety, since I didn't have enough demantoids to mock it up using all dems.

1. I could see this with one of those vintage-style twin drop necklaces Demantoid Layout 1.JPG

2. A linear drop pendant or maybe vintage-y key design?
Demantoid Layout2.JPG
3. Straight linear drop with all the stones - too long though, I think and culling a few would let me match them better.
Demantoid Layout3.JPG
4. Sill playing with variations on this theme
Demantoid Layout4.JPG
5. With a placeholder central tourmaline that measures 4.9mm - this seems like a do-able size in terms of finding one and it being affordable.
Demantoid Layout5.JPG
6. A little fancier, but now with the placeholder central tourmaline AND 2 placeholder tsavorites up above (and wow, you can really see the tsav/dem difference with the tsavs being so much bluer. They don't glow like the dems IRL though) ... I really, really like this idea. Arguably it might be a bit fancy for my typical daily clothing, but eh, most of my jewelry is halo'd with diamonds and a bit on the fancier side.
Demantoid Layout6.JPG
7. Back to the bar pendant theme but having culled it down to the 5 best stones. I don't know if I'm much of a linear bar person, though? Maybe some fancy platinum scrollwork could be added around the sides to soften up the overall look?
Demantoid Layout7.JPG
8. All the better stones laid out on my hand. I've considered doing a 5 or 7 stone ring with them but there are 2 issues with that - I'd probably need 1 larger central stone, and I'd be terrified that I'd damage them far too easily in a ring, and these babies are not easily replaceable.
Demantoid Layout8.JPG
Appreciate any feedback :D

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing useful from a design point of view but OH MY GOODNESS those garnets are so fantastically green :love::love::love: They're so beautiful. Can't wait to see what you come up with for them

tara3056

Shiny_Rock
Bumping to see if anyone else wants to chime in about the layouts I posted :)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The layout would be shortened by off-setting the stones somewhat

°•°•°•°⊙

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like number 6, the fancy flower but that's very much just how I roll though!!!!

It's sooooo pretty and I adore the greenness of it all!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the twin drop (not too dangly and it will be well balanced in weight) and the fancy circular. I was wondering about replacing the tsavs in the fancy circular with a contrasting colour.

S

SparkliesLuver

I love seeing all the layouts! That must've been fun. :) I think my favorites are 5 and 7. I definitely think you could add some scrollwork along the sides to make the overall shape and style more to your liking. Details go a long way!

I also really like how you "inserted" your stones in the first design I posted. I think that looks wonderful! If you like the overall idea, you could totally modify the design to make it smaller. For example, you could: remove the halo around the main stone and/or remove the diamond "leaves" from below the mid-size stones, thus making the "arches" come in closer. I'd play around with sketching it if you think there's something there. If not, I think you have some other lovely ideas. :)

tara3056

Shiny_Rock
Thanks guys! I think I'm narrowing it down to either the double drop or the fancy circular layout. I never really liked double drops before at all, but it somehow seems to fit these stones. Here is one that I just found today that I think could be really lovely with slight modifications (I don't like how long and stiff the two "strings" appear, and I'd add 1 more smaller demantoid to each drop) The metalwork suits my aesthetic well, though.
Double Drop 1.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is very good !

I have always suspected that the stiff ends of such chains are meant to prevent the ends from turnign upside-down (briolettes excepted, of course - WWW) - a question for the maker.

If the concern is real, perhaps you could have the entire chain in the needed relatively rigid style (an extreme example - WWW), or including patterned sections resembling the modified ends.

Just a thought ...

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What beautiful stones! I really love the design SparliesLover posted, where the diamonds highlight the green of the garnets. I also like your #6 and the double drop idea. Happy designing! Whatever you choose, it will be spectacular!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome back to PS! I love those stones!!!!! Really looking forward to seeing how your project progresses. I see you are close to a design, but will throw in some suggestions since you aren't completely final on something.
1. Look at antique brooches for elements/sections you can use since they have melee size stones.
2. Have you seen JbG mosaic pieces? You could do a mix of your demantoids and diamonds.
3. Put the demantoids in the fan element of these earrings and do a rock crystal or pearl drop.
IMG_4005.jpg
4. I have these YR earrings. You could do a similar style with the demantoids and put a bezeled diamond in the center.
IMG_2367.JPG

freezing_in_MO

Shiny_Rock
I love 5 and 6, especially the latter. You have some stunning stones!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results