shape
carat
color
clarity

How to set legrandite?

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
How would you set this Legrandite? It is just under 1ct.

sep13legrandite_0.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uhhh, good luck trying to find someone who is willing to set such a soft and brittle stone. It is more of a collector stone than something one sets and wears.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yep, it is a delicate stone and not very suited to jewelry.

If you are going to set it, it really should be as a pendant. Since the tips are not very sharp, I would bezel set it in 22 or 24k gold and a thinner bezel, which can be closed with a plastic pusher instead of a steel punch. Around the bezel, a thicker frame to help protect the stone. And a solid back plate, which would avoid pressure from the back.

Finally, a little green faceted stone as an accent.

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@Chrono I did! He is Zuni and quite talented with difficult stones. Legrandite helps with the crown chakra. Wearing it will make it more effective (if you are into that kind of thing.)

@Lady_Disdain I was thinking setting it on a brushed gold disk to protect the stone from the back. Do you think that would protect it?
necklace_4.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, awesome that you found some talented enough to set it. :appl: LadyD's advice is sound. It seems safest with a soft metal like high karat gold, bezel to give it a bit more protection, and a backing for added strength.

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@Chrono the jeweler across the street form me, like I said, is Zuni and his work is insane and was really excited when I approached him about setting the stone. The stone has some amazing healing properties and I have been hunting one to set for awhile. The closer to the skin the more it works! (again, if you are into that kind of thing.)

Question, so a bezel sounds like a good idea and a backing, will I run the risk of it just crumbling? I have no read it will do that but I do worry. That being said I do know if I want to wear a stone like this it is a huge risk and whatever happens happens.

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@Lady_Disdain do you think a little neon green paraiba would look good or should it be darker? (I am totally lost.)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Demantoid green?
I think turquoise Zircon would be lovely too.

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
So my God-like jeweler said putting this stone in a bezel will "kill" it and to put as many prongs on it as I will let him. He also said having it on a disk is an excellent idea! Thanks Pricescope! Now I just need to figure out what it will look like.

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
IT CAME :dance: :appl: :love:
legrandite_2.jpg

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
So my jeweler friend said he is going to make me a disk that looks like the headdress of the man in the center of the Aztec Sun stone. I am pretty excited to see what he comes up with. I told him to go wild and do whatever he wants.

disk.jpg

He also said he has set Crystallized Asbestos before in a brooch. Has anyone seen it? I can't find a picture online.

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The necklace is still being worked on. I am in love with the idea of having a ring that goes with it. I found a .5ct industrial grade rose cut yellow diamond that I think looks like legrandite and has similar inclusions. I want to set it in a rustic setting.
yellow_diamond.jpg
I had something like this in mind:
bezel_0.jpg
I know this style and industrial diamonds are an acquired taste :lol:

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Truly amazing piece!

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Gloria27|1486676916|4126723 said:
Truly amazing piece!
Thank you. I am so happy at how much it looks like a headdress! I am giddy :dance:
download_18.jpg
download_19.jpg

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your pendant is so cool!

meladori

Rough_Rock
it looks so vibrant! I love the bright yellow. :love: how did you find your jeweler?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow that is really cool, and it's great he managed to set it!!!!

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
meladori|1486695818|4126883 said:
it looks so vibrant! I love the bright yellow. :love: how did you find your jeweler?
It was stupid luck. A new shop opened in town and I noticed it had lots of Zuni items. Then I asked the owner about the jeweler and he said he as a Zuni trained silversmith. I had the jeweler make some earring for me and his work was really well done. Then he made me a hair pin. My husband found a pearl in an oyster he was eating (it looks like a dino egg :lol: ) but I wanted to have it set and he did a fantastic job.
hair_pin_0.jpg

Then I found the legrandite and I knew with his experience cutting up and setting tiny stones he would have no problem with the legrandite. Turns out he collects Aztec ear flares. https://onetribe.nu/blogs/content/78343681-status-symbolism-and-spirit-of-the-mayan-ear-flare
So he took the idea and ran with it. He said he wanted to set it in such a way to "respect the stone." He might actually be the most interesting man in the world.

meladori

Rough_Rock
that's beautiful! you're very fortunate. I've been (slowly) learning some basic metalsmithing and reading up on stone setting and respecting the stone is definitely one of the first things I've learned.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous setting and AMAZING craftsman!! :love: You are so lucky........wear it in good health!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow thats beautifully set! :appl:

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
He did an awesome job of setting your stone. Love that it is tilted but looks perfectly placed.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
This is definitely the most interesting projects I've seen on PS in years. Congratulations!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, what a great looking pendant!
Vesper, are you in New Mexico, by chance?
Many years ago, I was taught silver smithing by a woman from Zuni Pueblo.
I live in NM and know many native jewelers who do impressive work.

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
stracci2000|1486866642|4127650 said:
Wow, what a great looking pendant!
Vesper, are you in New Mexico, by chance?
Many years ago, I was taught silver smithing by a woman from Zuni Pueblo.
I live in NM and know many native jewelers who do impressive work.
I live in the south but he traveled all over teaching. I am very envious of your learning to sliver smith!

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an amazing work of art! :appl: :appl: :appl: So happy for you Vesper!

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
So I posted about crystallized asbestos. My jeweler showed me a chunk he has that is set in a pendent. It is interesting looking. I am not sure I dig it but it is unusual. I would like some to keep with my deadly stone theme. Now that I am reading the thread I do not think I mentioned legrandite is crystallized arsenic. It is totally safe and stable as long as you to not expose it to acid.
unnamed (1).jpg
Here are two stunning uncut pieces of legrandite.
s-l500 (2).jpg
s-l500 (3).jpg

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results