shape
carat
color
clarity

How to set a stone to make it appear darker?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
I''m in the process of setting a tsavorite. When I dropped into a ring setting, it looked much lighter than what I want. It was just perfect in the little package they sent it in, though. I was devistated. What was the color of Pandora''s lovely darkish tsav became a bright kelly green when laying in the white gold setting.

How can I set this tsav to make it look darker? Does yellow gold make a stone look darker? I''m thinking I should make it into a yellow gold bezel pendant to darken it up. Would a stone be darker as a pendant, as it lays on you skin and a ring would catch more light? Would that be the right way to go? Any other ideas?

Also, I guess I should ask them to make a more significant bezel that has a bit more coverage toward the back of the stone?

Thanks.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I would also think a bezel will make the stone look a little darker. I'm not sure about the gold color though. Try holding it next to yellow gold and white gold and see if it looks different. I'm guessing the yellow won't make it look darker but it will bring out a little blue or yellow. KWIM?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I wonder what a thin halo of diamonds would do?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bezel it for sure. Also metal under the stone (think like the Tiffany Etoile line) will make it darker.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Weather it will be in a ring or a pendant really doesen''t matter, neither will look much darker. Diference will just be in that, that you''ll see it set in a ring much more, and if it''s in a pendant other will see it more often
1.gif
Every stone looks darker when it''s worn, simply because there''s much less light coming from the back. Yellow gold won''t make it darker - it will only make it lighter, if anything. I''ve seen two almost identical stones set in yellow and white gold, and the one in white was actually darker. Not because of the color of the metal, but more because of the more noticable contrast between the color of the stone and the color of the metal. Metal will also influence the tone of color with white making it cooler and yellow, warmer. You can try making an illusion of a darker stone by having some really pastel accent stones of the same color, next to which this stone would appear darker. Well, those were just some of my ideas.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To darken the colour of a gemstone, cover as much of the pavilion as possible, so a halo style or bezel is my suggestion. Setting a yellow metal will only serve to bring out the yellow in a green stone, something you absolutely do not want to do in a tsavorite. This is the reason why purplish red spinels are set in high karat gold, it counteracts the purple hue to bring out the red. The same with spessarites - it brings out a richer orange colour. For green and blue stones, I highly suggest a white metal.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks all.

Inner - I agree. What's a KWIM, though?

Neat - I'll look up the Etoile. Thanks.

Freke - Oh, I've seen that one on Overstock. I was wondering why they do that. Now I know. Will ask jeweler about black rhodium.

Ma Re - How about light pastel pink stones on the side. I love the pink/green combo. I can't put the $$ into this for more stones, though, so I think I'll do a simple pendant.

Chrono - You are Amazing. One of the oracles on this site. (meaning - a person who delivers authoritative, wise, or highly regarded and influential pronouncements (dictionary.com). Thank you so much. And, I always wondered how to downplay the purple that shows in red stones. Now I know.

OK, so a white gold, more enclosed bezel it is.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You''re welcome and thanks for the compliment.
21.gif

KWIM = Know what I mean.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/23/2008 8:01:19 PM
Author: sonomacounty
Thanks all.

Inner - I agree. What's a KWIM, though?

Neat - I'll look up the Etoile. Thanks.

Freke - Oh, I've seen that one on Overstock. I was wondering why they do that. Now I know. Will ask jeweler about black rhodium.

Ma Re - How about light pastel pink stones on the side. I love the pink/green combo. I can't put the $$ into this for more stones, though, so I think I'll do a simple pendant.

Chrono - You are Amazing. One of the oracles on this site. (meaning - a person who delivers authoritative, wise, or highly regarded and influential pronouncements (dictionary.com). Thank you so much. And, I always wondered how to downplay the purple that shows in red stones. Now I know.

OK, so a white gold, more enclosed bezel it is.
It sure could work, but make sure pink doesen't end up being some bubble gum shade
9.gif
If you could find some nice small kunzites or morganites, they'd be great for a pendant (morganite can also work in a ring). If you opt for an all green look there are many light green stones, from sapphire to prasiolite, and if you like a green-blue combo, small aquamarines would be the choice.

There's also this trick with metal you can do - getting the bezel (or the whole thing) into that frosted matte finish. That way metal looks snowy white instead of silvery and the contrast is stronger. You can also slightly recess the part with the tsavo, setting it a bit lower than the rest of the design - that way it will always be slightly shaded. Also, it's best if you wear it more in the evening, since it will more often be in indirect light (there's a reason why peridot is called the evening emerald).

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Chrono - You're welcome. Just the facts, dear.

Ma Re - Absolutely. Morganite would be pretty with it and something I wouldn't have thought of. Thanks. Not into green/green or green/blue, though. I think I want to keep it by itself, though, as if I can get it to look dark green, that is the only effect I want.

Brushed/matte - Fantastic. I'm big into brushed/matte finishes. My diamond (cushion) is set in a brushed palladium (grey-white look) solitaire.

Will tell jeweler.

That works well as I had plans to have it as something to wear with "the little black dress". Green is such an elegant color (unless it is kelly green as this tsav. wants to be sometimes). (You know, the vendor called it med./dark, too, and it looked that way until I placed it down in a setting ! !)

Thanks so very, very much.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results