shape
carat
color
clarity

How to sell a sapphire

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a green montana sapphire listed on loupe troop and on preloved for faaaar less than I paid for it, and I was told faaar less than it's worth but I haven't received so much as a nibble of interest. I'm pretty confused as to why. It is a beautiful and rare stone and is worth so much more. Does anyone have any feedback about what could be wrong or what I am missing about it? It has got a little windowing I think but only under limited conditions/fleetingly. I am just really confused right now.

https://loupetroop.com/listings/loo...one/unheated-montana-sapphire-gia-3-dot-94-ct

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I, too, have listed items (whether gemstones or anything else) at what I thought was a super bargain price and been sadly surprised to find that there was no interest.

One thing to keep in mind is that there's always endless, endless stuff to choose from out there and some things are just in more demand than others. Good luck with it!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m fairly certain it’s the color, apple green is not a popular color of sapphire, and your photos show what looks like a significant window, which could be a normal tilt window, but many will not realize that. Feel free to have the mods delete my comments if you feel they’re not helpful. Unfortunately, just because a stone is an untreated large sapphire, does not mean it will sell. Certain colors are just more popular than others.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
As someone that sometimes has problems moving items too, I think it is the color. I think it's going to be a particular buyer looking for that shade.

Maybe try redoing the listing to keep it on the first two pages so people can see it as well?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a very beautiful gem but I think because it’s greenish it’s not grabbing any attention. I think most people think “blue” or “pink” when it comes to sapphires. I’d change the listing to include “green” in the title. And because items disappear off the front page very quickly, you might need to “re list” every week. Sending dust for you.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And you need to work out how to get the best photos. The “first” one is showing it as very yellowish green which isn’t the best photo.
Who did you buy it from? Could you contact them and ask them to resell it for you or even take another gem, which you love, in exchange?

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The is all for responses. That makes sense; I thought the unusual color would make it more desirable but I can see what you mean. Yes I need to figure out how to take better photos, it’s frustrating. I’ll try redoing photos.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a pretty stone but I think the colour & windowing may be what is reducing popularity/interest. :think:

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the description, you mention that the stone has no yellow tint but I see yellow in the photos....if the stone does not photograph well, you might try a video.

As others have said, it can take time to find a buyer who is looking for what you are selling...especially for higher priced or less in demand items. I once bought a ring from someone because she couldn't sell it despite multiple discounts. I eventually sold it back to her and later she was later able to sell it for 50% more. Likewise, I had a pariaba/emerald set that surprisingly took a year for someone to buy despite being discounted.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tried to look up the GIA certificate on the GIA website but it says "no match found." I copied and pasted the GIA cert number posted in your listing. Maybe confirm the GIA cert number is correct in your listing? I would also encourage you to include a photo of the GIA cert in your listing ... make it easy for potential purchasers to confirm the GIA cert exists and that the stone is untreated.

As other posters have commented, sometimes there is no rhyme or reason as to why some items sell quickly and others take longer ... do try to take some excellent photos of the sapphire which most accurately reflect what you see IRL. If you happen to have any empty settings or a gemstone holder that you can pop the sapphire into, and/or place it on top of a little pile of rice grains or sugar which should minimize the window/tilt window, take & post some good photos so people can get an idea of how your Sapphire might look in different kinds of settings.

Good luck with your sale!

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I tried to look up the GIA certificate on the GIA website but it says "no match found." I copied and pasted the GIA cert number posted in your listing. Maybe confirm the GIA cert number is correct in your listing? I would also encourage you to include a photo of the GIA cert in your listing ... make it easy for potential purchasers to confirm the GIA cert exists and that the stone is untreated.

As other posters have commented, sometimes there is no rhyme or reason as to why some items sell quickly and others take longer ... do try to take some excellent photos of the sapphire which most accurately reflect what you see IRL. If you happen to have any empty settings or a gemstone holder that you can pop the sapphire into, and/or place it on top of a little pile of rice grains or sugar which should minimize the window/tilt window, take & post some good photos so people can get an idea of how your Sapphire might look in different kinds of settings.

Good luck with your sale!
Thanks, I’ve written to GIA about the certificate not showing up. It’s been fine in the past. I will also take your photography advise.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As others have said, it's most likely the color. That light yellowish-green color is just not all that desirable. You can find larger chrysoberyls in that color for $200/ct. The saving grace of the sapphire is that it's unheated and from Montana, but it will be much more of a collector's stone than anything else. As with many stones that aren't a desirable color on the market, there will be a much smaller pool of buyers who will be interested in it. It may take a while, but eventually you'll find a buyer who is looking for just that color. :)

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As others have said, it's most likely the color. That light yellowish-green color is just not all that desirable. You can find larger chrysoberyls in that color for $200/ct. The saving grace of the sapphire is that it's unheated and from Montana, but it will be much more of a collector's stone than anything else. As with many stones that aren't a desirable color on the market, there will be a much smaller pool of buyers who will be interested in it. It may take a while, but eventually you'll find a buyer who is looking for just that color. :)
Yes I can see my photography is really poor. It definitely doesn’t have yellow in it. I’ll do my best at a redo.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have top coloured blue sapphires listed on there that I can't sell for what I paid wholesale for them, or it takes a while for them to sell.... Your stone is probably not a popular colour and it has a big window, but it is unique, and large. I also think despite what you paid, people that buy on LT are mostly bargain hunting so they want something that is either highly desirable or for a fraction of what it is worth.

Better photos would definitely help.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
DCCCAE6C-4298-47C5-9568-76C02EAE23CF.jpeg 206CE631-93C1-4F90-BEDF-DFF2E3A4CF06.jpeg
This is a really true to color pic that I took - and one from today that shows it when it looks darker. It really does do some color shifting under different lighting!

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The standard market price on Montana sapphires is really inflated. As cutters have commented on this board in the past: the price of cut stones disproportionately outpaces the price of rough relative to other gems. So, some savvy consumers might be looking for really good deals that are more reflective of rough prices.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of my rings listed on loupe troop took 9-10 months to sell. Buyer got a great price, as a I had greatly reduced it from what I paid.

It just took time for the right person to find it.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
DCCCAE6C-4298-47C5-9568-76C02EAE23CF.jpeg 206CE631-93C1-4F90-BEDF-DFF2E3A4CF06.jpeg
This is a really true to color pic that I took - and one from today that shows it when it looks darker. It really does do some color shifting under different lighting!

It has a slight yellow modifier. Definitely yellowish green. The color "apple green" in itself denotes a yellow modifier.

Very few green gems are pure green (and when you find it, it carries a significant premium). In green gems, blue is always the preferred modifier and will carry a premium over yellow. Thus, mint green will carry a premium and will be more highly desired on the market than apple green.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would actually call it grayish yellowish green. I have some diamonds that color, it’s actually a very inexpensive diamond color as well. It might be the gray modifier that’s affecting the sale. You need the right person for that gem. That color pops in rose gold or surrounded by warm pastels like pale pink stones. I think it would be helpful to put it on top of a shiny copper penny or a piece of copper or some rose gold chain to show it off.

Example

https://www.shaneco.com/fashion-rin...hire-and-diamond-ring-in-rose-gold/p/41069713

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
Don't curse the messengers, but you have a bit of a window and weak colors that are not everybody's cuppa-tea. To find somebody who coincidently wants just such a gem and is willing to pay the full price, you might have to wait for a long time.

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Don't curse the messengers, but you have a bit of a window and weak colors that are not everybody's cuppa-tea. To find somebody who coincidently wants just such a gem and is willing to pay the full price, you might have to wait for a long time.

I agree with Anne, this really isn’t a stone for everyone and personally I find it still expensive. Rarity of a stone is not sufficient to drive up the price, you need demand.

Maybe drop the price another 10-15% and give it some more time?

good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results