shape
carat
color
clarity

How to resize (make it smaller) a 2000 years old bronze ring

Splitlivez

Rough_Rock
Is there a way to do it without breaking it?

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think if the ring is 2000 years old, then it's kind of treasure that shouldn't be altered? Perhaps it should be left as it is, but that's just my personal opinion.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A 2,000 year old artifact shouldn’t be messed with.
You could insert a ring sizer. That is basically a piece of metal “clipped” onto the inside of the ring to make the diameter smaller. It’s workable for modest resizing and removable.
Another alternative is a coil resized. That’s basically a coil of plastic that you wrap around the shank and it makes the inside diameter smaller. Also removable.
Just Google “ring resizer”, eBay, Etsy and Amazon sell them for a few dollars.
A jeweller could do you a nicer “custom” one, same idea, not actually damaging the 2,000 year old ring.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that if this ring is legit 2000 years old, you shouldn’t modify it at all. Bronze or not. Just wear one of those ring noodles (presuming you need it tighter). You probably won’t be wearing it 24/7 and if you are, then you ought to first get it appraised by someone who specializes in antiquities.

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
My approach would be different according to the real value of the ring:
1) expensive monetary value: leave it as it is;
2) sentimental value (belonged to your family, bought during a special trip, gifted to mark a significant event): leave it as it is;
3) cheap monetary value: ask a skilled jeweller the cost of resizing: if it surpasses the cost of the ring, leave it as it is and buy a similar ring at the right finger size.
I was in your shoes with an antique ring I inhereted: I decided to leave it as it is, not worth both the risk of damaging and the cost of the resizing.

Splitlivez

Rough_Rock
My approach would be different according to the real value of the ring:
1) expensive monetary value: leave it as it is;
2) sentimental value (belonged to your family, bought during a special trip, gifted to mark a significant event): leave it as it is;
3) cheap monetary value: ask a skilled jeweller the cost of resizing: if it surpasses the cost of the ring, leave it as it is and buy a similar ring at the right finger size.
I was in your shoes with an antique ring I inhereted: I decided to leave it as it is, not worth both the risk of damaging and the cost of the resizing.

I spoke to a jeweler who worked in a treasure shop. He told he attempted a similarl feat a few decades back, and the ring broke. Because copper crystallizes after these many years, and thus renders it brittle. My local jeweler told me that heating it would ruin the patina. Now I'm thinking of turning it into a necklace.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
this is not your average piece of jewelry. there is no way i'd let a typical jeweler touch this with a 10ft pole

ancient copper in certain regions of the world also commonly contained arsenic which is poisonous

you need to take this to someone who specializes in antique artifacts before modifying it, it may not make sense to wear it, personally i would explore preserving it in a beautiful display box. this is a very special piece that has survived for so long, please consider how important "wearability" for your personal use is, versus preserving it for future generations to come

i understand the desire to wear it, perhaps even on a beautiful gold chain if it is sentimental

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
this is not your average piece of jewelry. there is no way i'd let a typical jeweler touch this with a 10ft pole

ancient copper in certain regions of the world also commonly contained arsenic which is poisonous

you need to take this to someone who specializes in antique artifacts before modifying it, it may not make sense to wear it, personally i would explore preserving it in a beautiful display box. this is a very special piece that has survived for so long, please consider how important "wearability" for your personal use is, versus preserving it for future generations to come

i understand the desire to wear it, perhaps even on a beautiful gold chain if it is sentimental

I agree with everything here.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
How about some video?

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know . I just really hoped if there was a way to wear it on my ring finger.

But not on your fifth finger? That seems like a cheap, low-risk fix. :cool2:

We tend to wear things on whichever hand and finger they fit.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results