shape
carat
color
clarity

How to prevent two rings from getting damaged if worn together on the same finger?

Hypothetical question (so I don't actually have any ring pictures to share). But I was thinking about my ideal wedding set (a bit far off though, but a girl can dream), and I would want a solitaire engagement ring (bigger the better, haha) probably in a step cut like emerald or asscher, definitely not an MRB. I would like to pair this with the Cartier pave Love band as a wedding ring. I was wondering if there's anything I could do to make sure that the two rings don't damage each other?

I suppose the solitaire would have to be set a bit high, but as we will buy the wedding bands after buying the engagement ring, is there any way to make sure that the stone is set high enough to not damage the band without having the band in hand? Or is the safest way to just wear a spacer (but I don't really like the look of the spacer, which is why I ask). Or does the damage come from diamonds rubbing against the band, and so if I have a plain shank I don't have to worry?

Thank you for your time!

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
The options generally are:

1) Wear a spacer
2) Solder the rings together
3) Wear the rings on different fingers/hands
4) Wear as is and accept potential damage, needing to repair, reset, or replace later on

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

1) Wear a spacer
4) Wear as is and accept potential damage, needing to repair, reset, or replace later on
#2 is a big no,no. You'll be sorry if you did.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The engagement ring diamond won't interfere with the band. But the height of that band might rub the prongs of the engagement ring. You don't want the diamond set too high or it could more easily hit things and get damaged. Set it medium height and then try on with the Love band and look carefully to see where the band hits the engagement ring. If it does hit the engagement ring, just get a smaller band to wear with the engagement ring and wear the love band alone when you don't want to wear your diamonds. Nothing wrong with having two wedding bands!

1) Wear a spacer

Thank you for your suggestions! I think out of all these suggestions the spacer is the best option, but I will take Garry up on his kind offer to estimate the height of the band so that I can avoid the spacer!

The engagement ring diamond won't interfere with the band. But the height of that band might rub the prongs of the engagement ring. You don't want the diamond set too high or it could more easily hit things and get damaged. Set it medium height and then try on with the Love band and look carefully to see where the band hits the engagement ring. If it does hit the engagement ring, just get a smaller band to wear with the engagement ring and wear the love band alone when you don't want to wear your diamonds. Nothing wrong with having two wedding bands!

This will sound silly, but I want to avoid two wedding bands... to be honest I would be fine without one entirely but my partner is very adamant on having one. However now that we will have one, I do not want to ever take it off, because it will hold more sentimental meaning for me than my engagement ring even (and that one I wouldn’t want to take off either). I can’t do it as an RHR as I already have a family ring for that one! For me it’s the perfect mix of where I came from on one hand and where I am going on the other :)

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you for your suggestions! I think out of all these suggestions the spacer is the best option, but I will take Garry up on his kind offer to estimate the height of the band so that I can avoid the spacer!

just find a pic online and post it :)

VeryUndecided

Shiny_Rock
I am wondering if anybody has made an experience with Tiffany solitaire and a full diamond wedding band? Do they need a spacer?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results