shape
carat
color
clarity

How to Pick RB for Pendant/Earrings

D_

Shiny_Rock
Hi All,

I'm looking to purchase a pendant/earrings for DW. Still in the preliminary stage, so not looking into specific stone(s).
Budget I feel comfortable with is 1,500. Size: probably .3-.5.

What would you advise I look out for?
For ring we usually look for specs as per below:
Table: 54-58
Depth: 60-62.3
Crown angle: 34-35.0
Pavilion angle: 40.6-41.0
Do the same specs hold true for a pendant/earrings?
Or it's better to look for something that, say, have a bigger table/spready stone (since it will be mostly viewed from the front vs above/at an angle)?

Also, how "forgiving" a pendant/earrings can be? (I think someone commenting on another thread that unless it's the DH, another person has no business being that close to her ear or neck :lol: ) as in, how ideal it needs to be?
For example, when purchasing her ring, I went for one of those super ideals, though people notice how nice it is, they rarely look closer than an arm's length, on very rare occasion people will want to look closer, but even then it'd be at most from 10" away.

In terms of clarity, I have very keen eyes, but even so for a VS2 for I could barely see anything up close, so maybe an SI1 will be safe? Or even an SI2 for the above size?

For colour, she is fine with an "I" for her ring. I'm more colour sensitive and though I have never compared it with a "J" in various lighting condition, I think an "I" is quite a sweet spot. With that in mind, how low do you think I can go in terms of colour? J or even K?
Plus I'm looking to get something with fluoro this time. I personally think they're cool. What about earrings though? Is it cool they can glow (not that we'll likely to often go to places where they'll glow, but you never know), or tacky? Also, does that mean I have to look for the same level of fluoro for earrings? But even if they are both, say, SBs, the intensity may be different, right? Or should they be relatively safe since the stones are separated by a head?

Another question is, how good are the diamonds on ready made earrings from the top vendors here? (e.g. Martini studs from WF).

Any other factors I need to consider which are exclusive to pendants/earrings?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think 60/60 stones are really good for pendants and earrings. They favor a lot of white light, are spready, and the cost is reasonable.
Expand table down to 60. And allow depth of 59. Allow crowns down to 33.5. (honestly for earrings or a pendant you can even do a 33 crown. Just make sure the girdle is not thin). Rest of stats stay the same. You still want a great performer.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd stick with I color since that is what her ring is. I think VS2-SI1 is fine. I use the exact same measurements for earrings and pendants as I do for a ring. You can't go wrong with ideal cut stones, although you don't necessarily have to buy superideal cuts. I do get my studs from Whiteflash, though, because of their excellent upgrade policy and the ease of matching stones. I don't have anything against getting 60/60 stones, but I'd only get stones that you can get an ASET image for.

I just wouldn't let fluorescence dictate your choice because that will limit your options so much, especially when trying to match studs.

Do you mean you are going to buy either a pendant or stud earrings? Because I would only buy one or the other with a $1500 budget and wait and get the other. What size is the diamond in her engagement ring?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Regarding color: I would do J's. Not I's. No sense in paying the extra money at all. These are small stones. And she's already got I's on a ring stone, you are fine.

I would do Si clarity.

D_

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your inputs, Gypsy & DS.

@Gypsy - so 60/60 stones and/or those with crown as low as 33 (rest remains the same) can still yield great IS pictures (all red) and their ASET equivalent? And we'll still need to look for HCA < 2, right?

Also with greater variance in specs does that mean ASET/IS images become all the more important? Hence ruling out vendors like BN, Adiamor etc. (not because they don't have good stones but because we won't know what we're getting until we get them)?

@mrsblop - if you read this would you mind sharing success tips of getting great performers from BN w/o ASET & IS images? I'd like to expand my options. And though it is still an important purchase and I'd like to end up with a great performer, unlike engagement ring, I feel like I have a bit more room to experiment.

@DS - yes, it would be either or. ER was about a carat. How would that affect this?
When you say don't let fluorescence dictate the choice do you mean it's better to get non fluoro or that it shouldn't matter (e.g. one can be MB the other VSB or none etc)?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just meant that finding a well matched pair was the important thing, and finding a pair with matched fluorescence will drastically limit your options. I would not buy a pair with one having fl and the other not.

In case MrsBlop doesn't see your question, I know that her recent ring diamond she bought from BN was bought by strictly following the cut parameters you listed in your first post (I think hers had the perfect 34.5/40.8 angles). That is the only way I'd buy a diamond blind (using those numbers).

Downside of BN is a more restrictive trade-up policy. That's a non-issue if these are never going to be traded in.

I think with a 1 ct engagement ring, studs can be any size under that. But a rule of thumb some use is a pair of studs equal to the weight of the e-ring (so .5 cts or so each) and a size in between a stud earring and the e-ring for a pendant (around .75, for example). But you can go to the .40 range for the studs and .60 range for a pendant, too.

I still prefer I color, because the higher the color, the brighter the stone (assuming both are well cut), and you want them to show up as white and bright as possible on the ears. Here is a picture showing color comparison between an H and a J.

handjcolor.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that is very misleading picture. I have friends with J stones.and next to my F the tint doesn't look up like that!!

fair75

Rough_Rock
Gypsy and DS have already given you some good advice so I won't repeat a lot of what they said. But I will share my 2 cents. In my opinion, if you are doing the earrings/pendants, it's better to stick to I color and opt for stones that are ideal cut but with slight emphasis on fire. With the size between 0.3 and 0.5 ct, a little bit more fire will attract more attention. For example, instead of choosing crown angle 34, I would go for 34.5 or 35 without ideal scope/ASET scope images. With all other numbers being equal, a shallower crown angle will generally lead to reduction of fire you see in a diamond. However, that is just my preference.

Typically, K or lower colors aren't recommended unless you are going to set them in yellow or rose gold and/or prefer warmer colors.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As most here know, I am a cut fanatic. I believe that in all uses, cut matters. I have done pendants and earrings for many clients and most importantly, I recently did a nice pair of half carat Crafted by Infinity diamonds for my wife.

She is constantly getting compliments on them and people always over estimate the size of them. Cutting just matters! It matters to the giver and it matters to the recipient, and it matters to those who admire the diamonds when they see them. I love the flashes of color that emanate from ideal cut diamonds and I disagree strongly with those who say it does not matter in earrings or pendants.

These are just my opinions of course, but if you take the time and make the effort to see examples of both top cut and "good enough" cut earrings and pendants, you will see that "good enough" might be cheaper, but "good enough" does not ring the bell nearly as loudly or as satisfyingly as incredible cut does.

Wink

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That picture is at an angle where color shows more, true. But J color does show tint face up when held next to a higher color stone. Once I ordered a pair of specialty cuts for studs and one was I and one was J and I could definitely see the color difference and returned them. I have ordered several others to look at for ring stones and definitely could see the difference in J color. As Wink said, cut is so important, and it is true that if you have superideal cut diamonds, you can get by with J color (as Gypsy prefers) because the stones will perform great no matter the color.

My philosophy is to buy quality always. I have never had a regret buying diamonds of the highest quality. But I have had many regrets about buying lesser quality when I was younger. Much better to save longer and get something very fine quality. I have been buying mine at Whiteflash because they usually have the best selection and lowest prices, but I highly recommend checking out Wink's selection at High Performance Diamonds because his Infinity diamonds are also outstanding. Both vendors have excellent upgrade policies should you ever decide to do so. Balancing quality and specs, I'd still go with I color and no lower than SI1 in an ideal cut.

Just to reiterate Wink's point, he contributed a pendant for the door prizes at the PS get-together in Vegas in June. It was a gorgeous Beverley K pendant with a .25 Infinity diamond in it. Yes, .25 is pretty small, but boy did that diamond sparkle! You do get more bang for the buck visually with an outstanding diamond even in the smallest stones!

D_

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, Everyone.

I'm getting a better sense on the direction I should go.
Now, about crown angle - should I lean toward lower or higher? For smaller stones on earrings would spready brighter stones look better/get more attention or will the ones with more fire do? Or is it just a matter of preference?

@Wink, I agree re the importance of cut. Just wondering if the ideal parameters for pendants/earrings are different from those for rings (since they are viewed from different angle based on how they're worn).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You still need a great idealscope and a very well cut diamond, I agree. But I do think that expanding to very well cut 60/60's is a good and safe choice for earrings and pendants.

As for crown. I prefer higher crowns on all diamonds as a personal preference. I try not to let my personal preferences get in the way of the advice I give. I have seen quite a few 60/60's with lower crowns that were really nice, recently.

The reason I recommend J's for earrings under 6mm is usually there is a big price break for J's and I personally don't think that on the ear, you can tell at all what color studs are from J to I. And J has the bigger price break. Most people are trying to maximize size and minimize budget.

If you want an upgrade policy you can't beat the hearts and arrows dealers for that. I personally, if I was getting 'starter' studs would want a steller upgrade policy. It just depends on whether your lady will consider these 'forever' studs or not. Not everyone is an upgrader, like many of the PSers are.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
D_|1469313622|4058715 said:
<Snip>

@Wink, I agree re the importance of cut. Just wondering if the ideal parameters for pendants/earrings are different from those for rings (since they are viewed from different angle based on how they're worn).

I have heard some people argue for it, but my experience with both my clients and my wife is that Cut is KING! I like a diamond that looks stunning in any light from any angle. Your tastes may vary.

Still it is YOUR eyes that you need to see various diamonds with, and I am pretty sure if you put a pair on that are stunning, they will be stunning. Look at some diamonds with your eyes, and see which YOUR eyes tell you to buy.

Wink

D_

Shiny_Rock
Thank you!

Sorry, couple more questions:
IS and ASET images can help indicate light return, right? Does that mean they capture both brilliance and fire? If only the former, what do we use to measure fire?

fair75

Rough_Rock
D_|1469381983|4058836 said:
Thank you!

Sorry, couple more questions:
IS and ASET images can help indicate light return, right? Does that mean they capture both brilliance and fire? If only the former, what do we use to measure fire?

IS and ASET images can only show you light performance and gives you an idea how much light returns you are getting from diamonds. But they don't show you how much fire you will see. For fire and sparkles, you will have to see them in person.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results