shape
carat
color
clarity

How to pick a setting?

Susiecushie

Rough_Rock
Hi,

So you are awesome!!! I need advice on putting my diamond in a setting. How do I even pick one? I have a temp tiffany setting for a 1.3 J VS1 H&A RB.

I have a budget for about 1.5-2K (including a matching wedding band). I love everything I see!!!! So many choices!!! How do you narrow it down? It seems like there are so many styles I like. And I have to take into account that I'm gonna be a nurse in 2 years (crossing fingers).

I want a good quality ring but you guys are skewing me into the high end designers. Are they really that much nicer (ex Tacori has some pretty looking rings)? We talk on here that you can get so much more for your buck if you don't go to Tiffany for instance. Is Tacori the same? You are paying way more for the setting than you need to?

Thanks for any advice on how to guide me. I REALLY want a setting but I feel like it is so overwhelming.

Susan

Susiecushie

Rough_Rock
Ok, I looked online and checked out prices of smaller diamonds to maybe make a 3 stone ring (how big/little should they be)? How much do you suppose a setting (custom I'm guessing) will cost (not including to side stones)? See how fickle I am? Because I also like halos. And bezels.

Susan

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
Susiecushie|1305346068|2921463 said:
Hi,

So you are awesome!!! I need advice on putting my diamond in a setting. How do I even pick one? I have a temp tiffany setting for a 1.3 J VS1 H&A RB.

I have a budget for about 1.5-2K (including a matching wedding band). I love everything I see!!!! So many choices!!! How do you narrow it down? It seems like there are so many styles I like. And I have to take into account that I'm gonna be a nurse in 2 years (crossing fingers).
I want a good quality ring but you guys are skewing me into the high end designers. Are they really that much nicer (ex Tacori has some pretty looking rings)? We talk on here that you can get so much more for your buck if you don't go to Tiffany for instance. Is Tacori the same? You are paying way more for the setting than you need to?

Thanks for any advice on how to guide me. I REALLY want a setting but I feel like it is so overwhelming.

Susan

My sister and sister-in-law are both nurses. Neither of them wear their diamonds while working. It tears the plastic gloves they must wear while treating patients.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Have you tried on some settings? That may be a good way to decide what you like the look of on *your* hand.

Also, do you want gold or platinum?

Susiecushie

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the responses. :)

I'm thinking I won't wear the rings too often at work. But I'm not sure what type of nurse I want to be yet so that isn't a BIG decider for me. :) What if I end up being a phone nurse? Then I can get a HUGE ring!!!

I have a hard time trying on rings at the mall stores because I feel like I'm misleading these sales people. :( Also, i have 2 4 year olds and a 2 year old so looking can be challenging. lol. But I guess I better find a way. Sometimes I look online but it is hard to REALLY imagine what it would look like. you all have such beautiful rings that I drool everytime I look.

Susan

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Susiecushie|1305349076|2921508 said:
Thanks for the responses. :)

I'm thinking I won't wear the rings too often at work. But I'm not sure what type of nurse I want to be yet so that isn't a BIG decider for me. :) What if I end up being a phone nurse? Then I can get a HUGE ring!!!

I have a hard time trying on rings at the mall stores because I feel like I'm misleading these sales people. :( Also, i have 2 4 year olds and a 2 year old so looking can be challenging. lol. But I guess I better find a way. Sometimes I look online but it is hard to REALLY imagine what it would look like. you all have such beautiful rings that I drool everytime I look.

Susan

Don't! You need to find out somehow, and if you go into a mall chain like Kay/Zales/Jared you are honestly usually just a speck on the radar - the fifteen minutes you take up is not something to feel guilty for. If you spend significant amounts of time at your local jeweller with the owner or something then by all means make your small purchases there - bands, settings, plan to have them do work for you like polishing/plating/checkups and repairs. A good jeweller is interested in making a friend of you, because if you think favourably of your experience with him/her you'll go back and you'll recommend others, after all :))

Gibson486

Rough_Rock
Where does one live?If you live in a city like NY or Boston, there are plenty of local people who can take care of you. If you live in boston or near, I know a guy who is really great working with limited budgets.

Susiecushie

Rough_Rock
I know need to get over the feeling of bothering the sales peeps. :)

I actually live in Seattle. I also interested in jbeg since she is here but I don't think she has a store front. :(

Also, do you all think they quality of designer rings is worth it? Should I find the money? The more I find out on this site the higher my standards get. It is awful. lol.

Susan

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Susiecushie|1305387117|2921713 said:

I actually live in Seattle. I also interested in jbeg since she is here but I don't think she has a store front. :(

Also, do you all think they quality of designer rings is worth it? Should I find the money? The more I find out on this site the higher my standards get. It is awful. lol.

Susan

as far as designer...I think if you want a really intricate design (like Tacori) it is best to stick with the designer version. If you want a solitaire or pave band or something that lots of vendors make...I would skip the designer.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Susiecushie|1305387117|2921713 said:

Susan

Emma Parker in Seattle they will make an appointment just for you. Tim Andres Is awesome. He yaks great ideas an a range of price options.

http://www.emmaparkerdiamonds.com/engagement-rings.php

They have a private show room

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You cannot even think about Tacori because just an e-ring setting probably would take your whole budget or much more! Your best bet is to look at vendors like WhiteFlash and Brian Gavin who make great quality settings but at a non-designer price. If you want diamonds on the wedding band, you'll likely have to stick with a plain solitaire, and in that case, maybe you can just keep your current setting awhile and just spend the whole $2000 on the wedding band.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results