shape
carat
color
clarity

How to negotiate?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dnelson

Rough_Rock
I am learing about purchasing a diamond from sites like this. Many people talk about the market price and how this can be negotiated. How do I go about this process? What are some of the techniques and I can use?I'm sorry if this is a "dumb" question.-Darin

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,Where are you planning to buy? Online or in a brick and mortar store? You can generally expect higher prices in a brick and mortar than you will find online. You will also have someone local for free cleanings, sizings, possibly discounted mountings, etc. If you have a problem with the diamond/ring, it is good to deal with the person from whom you bought the ring. For all of these reasons, the somewhat higher price you may pay at your local jeweler can be worth some higher cost. Also, your local jeweler should have access to the better percentage of the diamonds you see listed on the internet.Having said that, there are great buys on the internet and some great companies out there offering things like free shipping, free tiffany-style settings, good return policies, etc. You can use pricescope to compare prices on similar diamonds (remember to compare similar cut qualities as cut greatly affects price). Then, you will have an idea as to what some of the lowest prices being offered are. You can then use them as a negotiating tool wherever you shop. As you will see here, some of these prices are already pretty much rock bottom. Your brick and mortar jeweler may not have an interest in working on such slim margins, but you can always ask. Many internet dealers will offer to beat any price. You can also find some special prices on pricescope for "pricescope customers only". These are excellent deals.I hope this helps. Read through some of the other posts for tips about use of independent appraisers, etc. if you haven't done so already.There really are no dumb questions!
smile.gif
smile.gif
lawmax

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
negotiating a fair price depends mostly on how much you study the market for the specififc diamond of your choice. You can readily study what is available on the internet as Lawmax has suggested and you can shop in the stores in your area, too. Once you know all the prices, you can decide where you'd like to buy and what level of mark-up over cost you want to pay which will be mostly according to the level of service and ambiance you desire and appreciate.Not everyone wants to pay the least for litle or no service. Not everyone wants to pay top dollar for luxurious surroundings, privacy and atmosphere. Most folks end up be most comfortable with face to face dealing with someone they feel they can trust. The best way to find this level of comfort is by shopping.Good hunting.------------------
David Atlas
Accredited Gem Appraisers

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Negotiating......While I completely agree with both Lawmax and Old Miner...I would advise you learn far more about what youre buying.Usually if someone takes a lower price, its for a reason. Concentrate on what you're getting - NOT what you're paying, as long as it appears to be in the range of reasonable for that type diamond.Further, get the stone checked out BEFORE you lay out any money. A set of expert eyes, and someone who understands how quality and price relate is a very advisable method to buy without getting taken.Once some sellers have your money, they don't know you anymore.... so be guided by this, and act prudently.Ask me any other questions you have.But study and read, cause after you spend the money, its gone, and what you have in place of it is the diamond.Make sure you get the diamond you want, and the one that "does it" for you.rockdoc------------------

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results