shape
carat
color
clarity

How to measure setting size for diamond?

seedslinger

Rough_Rock
Beginner question....I know.....but......if you have an empty setting, and take a measurement of the width for example, how do you determine what size stone will fit in that setting?

I'm sure this is a simple, rookie question, so please oblige me!

Thanks.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
if prong settings for round stones, it really has a lot more give. If semi bezel I'm more worried about getting it just right. I've bought semi mounts that was suppose to fit a 7.5mm round stone, but instead I put a 6.5mm gemstone in it just fine. If you have a jeweler or bench person that is going to set your stone, you may need to ask them specifically just to make sure.

seedslinger

Rough_Rock
D&T|1314744161|3005777 said:
if prong settings for round stones, it really has a lot more give. If semi bezel I'm more worried about getting it just right. I've bought semi mounts that was suppose to fit a 7.5mm round stone, but instead I put a 6.5mm gemstone in it just fine. If you have a jeweler or bench person that is going to set your stone, you may need to ask them specifically just to make sure.

Here is a photo of the setting.....

I figured this was a question for the jeweler......

1307748021_10_1_4093__1_of_4_.jpg

seedslinger

Rough_Rock
Just for the record....picture above is not of the actual setting I have, but just like it. My setting does not have a stone in it. The setting picture with the stone has a .65ct OEC in it, but I do not know the diameter.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
carat weight unless its an ideal cut Round brilliant diamond can vary in diameter (not huge difference). Even calipers can vary slightly, if there is a cross bar that holds the "prongs" together will limit the size that it can take. Sorry can't give much more input but a bench jeweler can measure exactly what it can take. If you current setting has a stone and you have a caliper then you would know exactly the size of course.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Your safest bet will be to talk to a jeweler. What size is your stone? Unless you are dealing with something large, it's probably not a worry.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results