shape
carat
color
clarity

How to make a window disappear in LOGR setting!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve had an interesting but extremely poorly cut gemstone set with, what I consider to be, a happy outcome! Lots of photos so hold on ..........

First up ........... I bought this bi/tri colour sapphire from Ebay for pennies! It''s slightly oval and had the most dreadful window (almost a door!) but I loved the play of colour around the edges. The sapphire looks blue, green and yellow in different lights. This isn''t a gemstone that normally I would have considered setting ......

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I then had an LOGR setting ............

Honey228

Shiny_Rock
Oooh... waiting!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So ........... I was playing with some of my loose gemstones to see which would look best in the setting. I put the sapphire in "just to see" and couldn''t believe my eyes! The window/door suddenly disappeared. This photo really represents the daylight colour of the Sapphire. Here it is sitting loose in the setting:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here she is back from being set! You can see I''ve added millgraining to the central bezel. The sapphire, now set, looks marginally darker and the window has completely disappeared. These photos have been taken at night under electric light so probably aren''t as good as representing the true colour but I''m sure you''ll forgive me!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Side view

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Close up on hand - please excuse the blurriness!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD,
I''m going to call you Houdini for making that window disappear - LOL!! Beautiful ring!! I do think some windows can go away. I have one stone with absolutely dreadful cutting and a window the size of Texas, so I''m not sure if there''s any help for my stone, although I love the color.

At least this thread gives us hope for some of our windowed gems!! Thanks for sharing the lovely outcome!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last one! The obligatory handshot!

I''m still shocked at how the window/door has disappeared! This is going to be a great "every day" ring.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/19/2009 4:03:18 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
LD,
I''m going to call you Houdini for making that window disappear - LOL!! Beautiful ring!! I do think some windows can go away. I have one stone with absolutely dreadful cutting and a window the size of Texas, so I''m not sure if there''s any help for my stone, although I love the color.

At least this thread gives us hope for some of our windowed gems!! Thanks for sharing the lovely outcome!
Houdini it is then!
9.gif

Honey - Hope it was worth the wait!
1.gif

Honey228

Shiny_Rock
Aw yay, it was meant to be!
36.gif
I''m so glad that you''ll be able to enjoy that pretty on your hand now. Sounds like it turned out to be a deal after all. And that''s my favorite LOGR-style. I''m looking at the oval setting in that style. Guess what type stone I''m dreaming of setting in it?
31.gif

LD, between your colored diamonds, alexandrites, and other color change gems, I think that yours has to be one of my favorite collections here. So if you ever get bored, feel free to share more pics!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I love it. It''s amazing how the window "closed" up...hehe... The ring looks amazing and its such a unusual color. Very pretty!!
36.gif
36.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
LovingDiamonds, I have been very fortunate to get several really nice pieces recently, but even so.....I''M SO ENVIOUS OF YOUR NEW RING!!!!! It looks fabulous!!!! I have been dilly-dallying over those LOGR settings, and now I wish I had the round one like yours and the cushion shape. BTW, do you know what size your sapphire is, and what size the LOGR setting was advertised? Did you have to order a custom size? I especially like the milgrain on the bezel - it''s yummy
3.gif

Bravo, and well done!!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks lovely and its amazing how the window disappeared. Well done!!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/19/2009 4:57:49 PM
Author: cellentani
LovingDiamonds, I have been very fortunate to get several really nice pieces recently, but even so.....I''M SO ENVIOUS OF YOUR NEW RING!!!!! It looks fabulous!!!! I have been dilly-dallying over those LOGR settings, and now I wish I had the round one like yours and the cushion shape. BTW, do you know what size your sapphire is, and what size the LOGR setting was advertised? Did you have to order a custom size? I especially like the milgrain on the bezel - it''s yummy
3.gif

Bravo, and well done!!
Thank you Cellentani. I think, if I remember correctly, the LOGR setting was for a 6mm or 6.5mm stone. The Sapphire is 5.5mm ish but is slightly oval so wider at certain parts!!! I didn''t order a custom size, just got the one from the auction. LOGR millgrained the edge of the ring for free which was lovely of them (however I did upgrade the diamond which is why I suspect the millgraining was thrown in). I then had my jeweller add the millgraining to the central bezel.

Hope that helps.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, LD. And those upgraded diamonds look great! Gaah, there''s a buy-it-now auction for $189!!! DH is gonna kill me if I keep stimulating the economy!

Honey228

Shiny_Rock
You should do it, cellentani! Tell your DH that you''re being patriotic.
25.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love it!!!! It''s absolutely gorgeous!! And I can''t believe how that window disappeared...

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Ooh I love it! I love the added milgraining - I wanted to do the same when I eventually set my tourmaline and now, after seeing how lovely yours came out, I definitely will.
1.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the way this turned out, it is gorgeous!
The color is beautiful!!

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
WOW! The ring looks amazing
36.gif

I would have never guessed that it is the same stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is why I forgive gemstones with good colour that has a small window. When set, it usually goes away. If bezel set, it helps even more in lighter coloured stones to "close" the window. However, for large windows, there''s just not much that can be done.
7.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love green amethyst and I have a weakness for halos, so I love it!!! What a fantastic outcome
36.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2009 8:03:59 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
I love green amethyst and I have a weakness for halos, so I love it!!! What a fantastic outcome
36.gif
HH - It''s a tri coloured sapphire. It''s blue, green and yellow which is what attracted me to it. I''m glad you like it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results