shape
carat
color
clarity

How to make a Tahitian rope?

Bostonian19

Rough_Rock
I'm fairly new to this site although I've strung pearls before, mostly fresh water.

I recently got a colorful strand of 9 mm pearls and enough additional pearls for a rope. I have enough for 32 inches plus knots.

Here are the pearls:

image_241.jpg

image_242.jpg

How would you string them? Would you use a random mix or try and spread out the different colors? Given that they are the same grade and size that doesn't matter, does it? Lastly how long a rope would be considered appropriate for a larger woman?

Thanks so much!

Joan

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
First gorgeous pearls!
Second, I would start off with a choice or clasp and stringing material (silk, power pro things like that). If you have 32 inches of pearls the knots will lengthen it. My estimate this will turn out to about 34-36 inches depending on how tight you tie your knots (tighter the better, at least thats how I do it since over time silk can stretch out from the weight).

How big are your pearls?

Pattye

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Joan,

Your pearls look colorful and will be beautiful as a rope. I recommend temporarily stringing on a piece of designer wire (like beadalon), allowing you to experiment with different lengths, with no need for a needle. That way you can also see if you want a random mix, or more balance. Are you planning to use a clasp, or make an endless strand?

Bostonian19

Rough_Rock
Thanks Ckrickett. I couldn't resist. They are 9 mm. I was only going to get a choker but then I realized I could do longer. I wouldn't get much bigger pearls for such a long strand; it would be too heavy.

I have some coal colored Beaders secret on order. I checked and I can use 2 strands of the heavier "silk".

Bostonian19

Rough_Rock
Hi Pattye,

Thanks for the kind words. I like the idea of using beadalon temporarily. I'll try it. I was thinking of a large spring ring clasp, they call it a senora, don't they? The one I have is sterling though. It is 14mm, a good size. I'm uneasy about sterling and pearls with silver tarnishing. Maybe it is time to call PP and order a clasp.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
If a silver clasp does tarnish depends on your skin and the air quality where you are. In any case a quick run with a silver cloth with bring it back immediately. Any clasp will need a quick clean every so often anyway as it is in contact with your skin.
Clasps with a long strand are a good idea because it makes it much easier to double the strand or make into a bracelet without either strangling yourself or stretching the thread. If you use a synthetic it should not stretch for ages, probably about the time you decide that a pearl or two is in the wrong place.
That's the joy of being able to string. You can change it all.

Bostonian19

Rough_Rock
Pearlescence|1451206710|3966693 said:
That's the joy of being able to string. You can change it all.

Don't I know it. I have a golden baroque south sea necklace and there is one pearl that needs to move to the back of the necklace. It hits the light funny.

Would you use beader's secret or silk for pearls?

Joan

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
Those pearls are gorgeous. I have a couple of suggestions for you...even if they are all the same size, there may be variation in mm size among the pearls. I am a stickler for the largest pearl at dead center. I then go from there, using temp bead wire to adjust the layout. I prefer my strands somewhat randomized...although I have seen gorgeous strands done with "waves" of color too! Couple of other things to keep in mind, if you are using a ball clasp, make sure it is at least as large as the smallest pearl. I use Beader's Secret, needles and gimp from Pattye...the colors are amazing, as is the thread...so easy to use. Make sure that you move the thread around on the needle so you don't develop a weak spot passing through the pearls. Post shots when you are done!

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
Your pearls are gorgeous! Oh how I want a round strand. May I ask who you sourced the pearls?

Bostonian19

Rough_Rock
Hoping it is ok to mention... It is The Pearl House on etsy. He had 3 Strands in the colorful Pearl section. Last time I checked there was one left. Great service and wonderful pearls.

Pattye

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Joan,

Yes, Senora clasps are secure, comfortable and easy to work. As Wendy mentioned, sterling clasps can be easily touched up with a silver polishing cloth, probably without even touching the end pearls. If you were concerned about any residue on the pearls, they could be rinsed off.

(Your thread order will ship tomorrow!)

We love seeing works in progress, with more photos of course, and we'll be right here cheering you on!

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Bostonian19 , I'd use a synthetic and opt, if available, for a gold shade which would subtly add to the overall goldness of the strand

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
I would say there is no right way to string these. They are gorgeous. The right way is whatever YOU like.

I'm fond of the Orbit Clasp from Pearl Paradise. It's easy to work and looks cool. Plus, you can sort of turn the necklace into a lariat, too, with that clasp.

As far as length is concerned. you may want to play around with temporarily stringing them and raising and lowering them on your chest until you find a length you like.

However, 34-37 inches doubles nicely.

mtsapphirelovingannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Bostonian19,

Welcome! Your pearls are lovely. I would recommend trying to mix the colors. For the length, I recommend you consider the neckline of the clothes you are most likely to wear with the necklace.

I suspect the weight shouldn’t be an issue even if you use all of them. I have a 35 inch length of Tahitians that I like. However, I think that 30 to 32 inches might have been a more wearable length for me. For example, I find that I bump the 35 inch on my desk sometimes.

The longer lengths are also a plus so you don’t have to fiddle with the clasps. I find the ball clasp to be particularly challenging. The orbit clasp might be a good option.

I am not a petite lady and I find a 35 to 36 inch rope doesn’t double over comfortably for me…I don’t like the feeling of anything to tight around my neck. So if you are considering doubling the rope I would think about the shortest length you are comfortable with.

Depending on the length you need and the look of the clasp, you might consider making a necklace and a bracelet that can be hooked together when a long necklace is desired. I have a turquoise necklaces and bracelet that I do this with. Unfortunately, I don’t like the clasp but I am able to mostly hide the clasps and bracelet extension with my hair.

Good luck with your project. :D

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
I was going to ask if those pearls came from Jac!! I thought I recognized their gorgeousness! You got a wonderful strand for a GREAT price!

Pattye

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Pirard and BWeaves, Many thanks for your recent, kind comments here on Pricescope about Beader's Secret supplies. To be able to knot and restyle one's own pearls is a wonderful skill to have!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I am a large person...I generally do a rope for myself at 38 or more. But that's also because I prefer ropes doubled. Being larger the long single rope sort of bounces around too much lol Silver clasps are easy to clean ... but I do quite like that Orbit clasp as well. I don't use silk and have lots of Pattyes colours...fabulous for knotting...

Bostonian19

Rough_Rock
Pirard|1451320054|3967336 said:
I was going to ask if those pearls came from Jac!! I thought I recognized their gorgeousness! You got a wonderful strand for a GREAT price!

Even better he was having a holiday sale at the time. When I added the other pearls I'm getting a long rope for a great price. I'm waiting for an overcast day to put them on beadalon.

Bostonian19

Rough_Rock
katbran|1451354706|3967649 said:
I am a large person...I generally do a rope for myself at 38 or more. But that's also because I prefer ropes doubled. Being larger the long single rope sort of bounces around too much lol Silver clasps are easy to clean ... but I do quite like that Orbit clasp as well. I don't use silk and have lots of Pattyes colours...fabulous for knotting...

Now I'm debating whether I can get enough more pears to make 38.... I agree, I don't like a chocker.

Bostonian19

Rough_Rock
I love the idea of making a bracelet too and using it sometimes. Jac is away till the 9th ( I had a question about the leather he sells.). I'm also making a leather lariat with circled Tahitians, and working on a couple other ideas.

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
The leather he has is wonderful! It really is very supple and easy to work with. I've got a few leather projects in the works as well! And if you decide to make a bracelet with your rope, just make sure you use the exact same clasp for both necklace and bracelet so that they can attach.

Bostonian19

Rough_Rock
I've strung all the pearls temporarily. I decided making a matching bracelet was a good idea so I'm waiting for my order of matching clasps to arrive. I took some better pictures outside today. Snow is forecast so the light is perfect.

Here's the photo

image_273.jpg

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
That's gorgeous, Bostonian. Can't wait for the neck shot/wrist shot!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Looks very pretty !! Well done so far !
:love:

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
I love all of the colors in this strand...that pale blue one in the lower right of the photo (with the wire crossing over next to it) is beautiful.

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results