shape
carat
color
clarity

How to make a necklace pendant?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I'd like to give my twin sister a diamond necklace as a thank-you for being my maid of honor next year. However, I have no idea how to go about doing this. Ideally, I'd like to spend around or under $500, with a white gold setting and chain. She's very petite- 5'4" and under 110 pounds. Obviously with a budget of only $500, I can't get a big stone, but what size do you think would look nice and delicate on her? 1/2 carat? 1/3? And what shape- round or princess?

Also, what kind of quality should I be shooting for? Would I/J, SI1 or 2 look OK in a necklace, esp. with a small stone?

And how do I build a necklace with a loose stone? Do B&M stores or online stores have necklace settings/chains that I could make up the necklace? I know Blue Nile does this, but it seems they only offer platinum settings, which are 1/2 of my budget right off the bat.

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I gave my daughter a delicate necklace for around $650. Since she is young (although physically the same size as your sister), I didn't want anything too big or too expensive! The chain and setting were delicate and simple. I have a copy of the certificate here, so I can tell you the quality I got. (I bought from Jan and Brda Roshto at Diamond Brokers of Florida.) The certificate is an AGS which says the stone is an AGS Ideal Cut (0) with a color grade of 0.5 (E) and a clarity grade of 4 (VS2). It weighs .286 carats.

If you want a very simple setting and chain a jeweler may "throw in" the setting with your stone. If you want something more costly he will charge you. Yes, you can tell the jeweler what kind of setting you want. If you like bezel or half-bezel settings they make a stone look far bigger. Bezel settings are too wild for me, but I have a diamond pendant set in a half-bezel. I like the look of that very much!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would totally build your own! You could get something like a .20-.30c stone depending on the cut and color/clarity and then a simple white gold 4 prong pendant for around that price.

I know WF sells small ACA stones around .25c...you could get something like that with color of around H or I and clarity of SI or similar for $450 and then see if they will cut you a deal or similar on the pendant setting for around $100. They will do everything for you, you just get the finished product.

Here is two possible contenders:

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-503269.htm

.27c I SI1 Hearts and Arrows, ACA SuperIdeal for $450

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-503308.htm

.26 I SI1 H&A ACA SuperIdeal for $440

Either of those would be a knockout in a pendant! It will face up white, SI should be eye clean and the cut is exceptional. *swoon*

Go onto Blue Nile or another store like Mondera, and you will see that you will pay the same if not more for a pendant with a stone that gives you no info on cut, and says something like I/J SI2 but you don't really know which....so the stone up above will blow any pre-set stone out of the water AND it comes with a lab cert, which is so much fun to present her with too!

Oh and wouldn't get a princess cut in my opinion if you want the best look, its harder to find them well cut and from a 'light return' perspective, rounds are unbeatable.

My two cents anyway. I would always, hands down, build my own!
1.gif
More personal too. I'm getting my fiance a .25c ACA H&A for his wedding ring...can't wait to buy the thing.
2.gif

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I'm excited to search for stones and build the necklace myself! Do you know of any other vendors/stores who would sell me the setting separately?

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
DCD has some pretty & affordable white gold pendants on their site. They also have a guy who does custom work.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Alot of places would sell you the setting separately, so if you find a setting you like, you may find a diamond vendor that can get you that pendant easily. WF, GOG, DCD, etc can all most likely get many basic settings for low prices as well.
2.gif
I found a great thin bezel setting I loved on Mondera and they offered to sell me the setting for only $75! WhiteFlash wasn't sure of the quality, but there are companies out there that will sell only a setting.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
mmeowcollins,
If you want more than just a plain mounting for the diamond you can pick one of the smaller ornamental gold pendants from Stuller or Overnight, set a 25 pointer in a bezel cup anywhere in the pendant and voila, you've got a semi custom piece. You should be able to do this within your budget, including the chain. Is your daughter musical ? The enclosed picture could accomodate a diamond in the curl. Here's a link to Stullers freeform pendants:
http://www.stuller.com/public/catalog3.aspx?categoryID=5a52bd0a-87ed-4ff4-98a6-04aa9313ae07
This is their public access site and doesn't have prices. If you want an idea of price on a particular piece, e-mail me and I'll get right back to you. Have a great day !

note1.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Welcome Michael....it will be good to have another expert on the site. But Pricescope doesn't allow direct selling to posters. The experts we have here spend their time assisting customers.
1.gif

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
My apologies Mara. I'll tone down my tone !
saint.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hey Mmeow!

Check out my thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/early-mothers-day-eye-candy-white-flash.6333/

White Flash custom made my pendant/necklace for me for a nominal charge. Their smiths do GREAT work!
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
No worries Michael!
1.gif

PQ...your necklace is SO purty...so if you get tired of it, send it over my way eh?
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results