shape
carat
color
clarity

How to improve this opal setting?

HopeSpringsEternal

Rough_Rock
Ok, so this arrived today from a reputable seller on EBay today and I have a week to decide whether to keep it. I don’t know lots about Opals but this one is really pretty. It was advertised as a vintage black opal (link here for more photos) https://vintagedarlingjewellery.com...cocktail-ring-18k?_pos=5&_sid=338230e64&_ss=r

I really like the stone but it needs some diamonds or something to make it pop as it just looks like a pill to me right now. I’m just trying to determine if I should invest in having the setting altered and maybe some smaller antique ovals added to each side or something else? Any suggestions?

A halo of some type would probably look amazing but I do like the old setting and I have a few rings with halos so ideally would like this to feel different. Or, send it back. I paid about $1300 for it so it wasn’t cheap. It did come with a EDR (European Diamond Report) stating it was 1.5ct opal, grey tone with a phenomenal play of colour (I realise EDR isn’t the best but I’m in the UK, seems better than nothing).

I can see how opals would be addictive!
Photo attached is the ring on my skinny wrinkly hands for perspective.

Attachments

• IMG_1750.jpeg
    IMG_1750.jpeg
    178.4 KB · Views: 38

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree that it needs some stones. You'll be paying about the same for a new setting- you might wear it more if it's something you love vs a pretty opal ring you're just "meh" about. What about a thick bezel? Or a pendant with some colored stones on top? A halo would be gorgeous, either diamonds or some stones that complement the green and blue.

In looking at the seller's videos, the red isn't there like it is in the photos. Do you see it? Does the opal have good color play to you? The price you paid is good - the more color and play, the higher the cost.

HopeSpringsEternal

Rough_Rock
I don’t mind paying for a new setting,
as long as I end up with something I love and maybe something that’s a bit unusual. I like a project and it would be great to do this stone justice.

I noticed the red in the vendors photo but couldn’t see it in life today - however it’s a really overcast day here and I was trying to hide my package from my husband so haven’t examined it exhaustively. I’m guessing if it does show it won’t be really obvious as it is in the video. I haven’t seen a ton of opals, certainly not good ones and this one looks lively across almost all of the stone to me. I wish we could post videos….

A thick bezel would protect the stone and might be really nice but I don’t tend to love the chunkiness of bezels generally. I do like the idea of a halo of stones that compliment the green and blue…. as in something like this picture: IMG_1760.jpeg (not the setting but the complimentary stones), but would that end up taking away from the opal itself…..Hmmm….

Glad to hear it was a good price, to me it’s effectively just buying the stone as the setting is so meh.

HopeSpringsEternal

Rough_Rock
I think the videos of that stone in the link are accurate and what I see with my eyes. Can’t see any red yet and there’s a small band on the left edge of the stone that is a bit dull, but the rest for it has lots of colour play, I can see some cobalt that pops up occasionally that isn’t visible in the video either.

Maybe a diamond halo would let it shine…

Oh it's nice and bright! And it has a great rolling/broad flash. This is a very pretty stone. I definitely think it's worth resetting. I would do a halo to give it the illusion of a larger cab. But I understand you want something different. I'll leave it to the more creative folks to guide you in that respect. Have fun!

HopeSpringsEternal

Rough_Rock
Thanks @Autumn in New England, I’m glad you think it’s a pretty stone too! I’ve got it back out tonight and can see the red in coming from underneath. If o shine a light under the stone lots of red pops up but that’s harder to see when worn, a little at the sides maybe.

Well, now I do think a halo would work well. I think it could be beautiful if reset well. It’s a stone that has personality for sure! Maybe it does need diamonds to make her pop…. I’m not too fussed about the cost of resetting, just want to make sure I get it right!

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
I noticed the red in the vendors photo but couldn’t see it in life today - however it’s a really overcast day here and I was trying to hide my package from my husband so haven’t examined it exhaustively.

Looking at it with a flashlight (in front, not too close) should give you a fair idea of what it will look like in the sun.

Well, now I do think a halo would work well. I think it could be beautiful if reset well. It’s a stone that has personality for sure! Maybe it does need diamonds to make her pop…. I’m not too fussed about the cost of resetting, just want to make sure I get it right!

I've seen blue-and-green opals like yours set with a halo of tsavorites and sapphires. I can't find good examples at the moment, but the middle ring of this group gives the idea:
OpalHalo.jpg

(No need to reproduce the sapphires and diamonds on the edges!) Maybe alternating tsavorites and sapphires could work.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a beautiful opal and a good price. If more red was visible the price would be x 2 at least. Red is the most desired colour because it’s the rarest. It has rolling broad flash and is around 85% colourplay which is great.
A diamond halo would look great but it’s very common. If you are a traditional style that’s they way to go.
If you are more adventurous and avant-garde I would choose either emeralds or sapphires for the halo.
I would also consider side stones, pear shape for balance. Perhaps emerald pear shape side stones and a blue sapphire halo.
If you prefer unfussy, I’d go for a thick gold bezel surround..

HopeSpringsEternal

Rough_Rock
Oh I’m loving all of these suggestions!! @Bron357 I’m pretty classic but I have a really nice oval turquoise with a pretty delicate diamond halo and a vintage pearl with a very sparkly diamond halo so I think I’d like something different. I think this stone is narrow enough (even with my skinny fingers) to have some small emerald pear sides and a sapphire halo. If it was very delicate I think it could be beautiful.

Something a bit like this but it would be more narrow because of the shape of the stone perhaps?

I’m so glad you all think it’s a good stone!
IMG_1777.jpeg

HopeSpringsEternal

Rough_Rock
I don’t know though, I tend to like vintage and more delicate jewellery though - I wonder if this sort of design could be prettied up….

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don’t mind paying for a new setting,
as long as I end up with something I love and maybe something that’s a bit unusual. I like a project and it would be great to do this stone justice.

I noticed the red in the vendors photo but couldn’t see it in life today - however it’s a really overcast day here and I was trying to hide my package from my husband so haven’t examined it exhaustively. I’m guessing if it does show it won’t be really obvious as it is in the video. I haven’t seen a ton of opals, certainly not good ones and this one looks lively across almost all of the stone to me. I wish we could post videos….

A thick bezel would protect the stone and might be really nice but I don’t tend to love the chunkiness of bezels generally. I do like the idea of a halo of stones that compliment the green and blue…. as in something like this picture: IMG_1760.jpeg (not the setting but the complimentary stones), but would that end up taking away from the opal itself…..Hmmm….

Glad to hear it was a good price, to me it’s effectively just buying the stone as the setting is so meh.

your stone looks great, its a great size, i wonder what it would look like on a wider band

i love the example of the 'halo' in this picture, its different from the typical (yawn) halo and i love it

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What about keeping the prongs simple on top, a bit of side detail, and colored stones or diamonds on the band?

Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 9.23.14 PM.png

Or side stones?

Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 9.31.35 PM.png

Or?

Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 9.27.40 PM.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results