carat
color
clarity

How to help my friend?

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello everyone!
A friend of mine is originally from Ecuador and her family was impacted by the earth quack not that long ago. Usually the coastal communities have tourist to buy their homemade goods (in this particular case jewelery made from hand carved and hand dyed palm tree seeds) but due to the devastation, tourism hasn't been happening leaving these villages not only in ruins, but with lots of inventory and no one to sell it to. My friend and a friend of her's decided to go into these villages and buy inventory from them (at the highest prices they've ever received) and resell them in Canada (or elsewhere) and then also donate a portion of the profits back to the communities to help rebuild. Neither of them have any experience in this, and my friend has created a wonderful website (I think she did a great job-named the pieces too!) and are curious on how to sell them? I advised to perhaps send a free necklace to someone with heavy influence in the community and hopefully they'll post it to social media-as well as the usual FB platforms but they don't want to be pushy. They have a WONDERFUL product (seriously, great price is only $33.00 for a necklace or bracelet that's been hand carved and dyed) but I know that many of you have small businesses and may be able to offer advice I can forward onto her?

Here are a few pieces from the collection and the website
http://www.ecuacare.org/shop/?category=Jewelry

I included a few of the pieces here-some of them are chunky but they have a couple that are smaller and a bit less bold. These are just the first of the designs to come out-I think long term they may have more? I'm not sure.

Advice/thoughts? Anything I can give her? From most artists I hear they sell well off their neck/wrist (weaving friends frequently sell scarfs/shawls/etc off them too) but I know she's like to reach a bigger platform? I don't think etsy is really an option but I can mention that idea to her too.

20150912_211010.jpg

20150912_185741.jpg

20150912_211327.jpg

20150912_191910.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was thinking etsy, too. Possibly ebay.

I would suggest a FB page if she doesn't have one, or instagram.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The jewelry is beautiful!

One thing that came to mind is that many churches in my area hold "fair trade" or "alternative" gift fairs as the holiday season approached. I think they're centrally organized. Your friend might check to see if there's such an organization in their area. A quick google search shows that there is an org called "fair trade gifts.org." I don't know if this is what the churches in my area use, but it might be worth checking out - I imagine they're already building inventory for the coming holiday season.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1465228771|4040777 said:
I was thinking etsy, too. Possibly ebay.

I would suggest a FB page if she doesn't have one, or instagram.

Looks like they have a FB page
https://www.facebook.com/ecuacare

as well as an IG account (not many followers yet, must be pretty new)
https://www.instagram.com/ecuacare/

VRBeauty said:
The jewelry is beautiful!

One thing that came to mind is that many churches in my area hold "fair trade" or "alternative" gift fairs as the holiday season approached. I think they're centrally organized. Your friend might check to see if there's such an organization in their area. A quick google search shows that there is an org called "fair trade gifts.org." I don't know if this is what the churches in my area use, but it might be worth checking out - I imagine they're already building inventory for the coming holiday season.

I'm not sure how much they brought back from their last trip. She mentioned getting more, but they may be waiting to see how well it's received or not. I'll recommend the church (as well as fairs, we have a LOT of fairs in the area coming up) but my other soap making gf has done a few church sales as well as craft shows and she has AMAZING soap (anther glass friend also) and neither had much luck selling that route sadly. Etsy may be a good option too so I'll suggest that for sure.

I'm glad you like the jewelery, I thought they were unique and I saw a purple bracelet in person and it was very well made and beautiful. Photos don't do them justice!

I am her first sale!

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like even the checkout stuff is under construction-I wonder how much more work the website needs before it's up and running. I suggested a give away, though IG or FB for a certain number of 'likes' and people tag you. Those drive me bonkers personally getting a ton of notifications after being tagged but it's a great way to gain follwers and get traffic to your page.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results