shape
carat
color
clarity

How to go about upgrading?

SamsMama

Rough_Rock
I need your wisdom please! My wedding set is a three stone, platinum, Ritani halo (Bella Vita) purchased from Pearlman's with the center diamond purchased from Blue Nile. It just isn't my style anymore and I would really like to move to a larger solitaire. My husband spent a decent amount of money on the set (for us), do you have any suggestions on how to get the best value for the set? Since its a mishmash I can't just go back to one jeweler and do a simple upgrade. Will I just have to take the loss?

Thank you so much!
Anna

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would guess that if you were to utilize Blue Nile's upgrade policy you would have to have the center removed first. Then you could always put a colored stone in your original setting or sell it preloved.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
I upgraded through the Blue Nile program in November. I traded in my 1.31 carat round (in a halo) for a 2.01 carat round pave solitaire. I suggest you call Blue Nile and see if your diamond is eligible for the upgrade program since it was set by a different jeweler. If they will accept it back, they require the original certificate (and if it is missing I believe there is a $250 charge) and it will be inspected by their Quality Assurance department. You have to have a new diamond already picked out before you set up the return and it has to be double what you originally paid. It's very easy and BN's customer service is always top notch! The hard part for me was picking the new diamond! :naughty: As for your current setting, definitely a colored stone so it can be a RHR, unless you plan on selling it. Good luck!

SamsMama

Rough_Rock
Thank you both! I never thought about putting in a colored stone. I'll have to look into that :)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the diamonds have desirable specs ( good cut, HCA score below 2.0, good Idealscope images) eye clean and near G-H VS2 and reputable reports (from GIA or AGS) I'd remove the stones and consign them with a vendor like Good Old Gold.

Then I'd try to sell the setting on eBay, Craigslist, or consign it ... understanding you're going to not get much for it compared to what you paid.
If it doesn't sell in X weeks sell it for scrap to whomever gives you the highest value.

Then start fresh with cash.
Oh, and be sure to buy a stone that is relatively easy to sell/liquidate ... not that any of this is.
To be forward-thinking I'd just get a generic low-cost 14K solitaire you'd have no problem selling some day for scrap.
Then you'd never again lose much on a branded fancy setting with dismal resale value.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results