shape
carat
color
clarity

How to get a setting like Harry Winston Cushion Cut?

Hello experts,

I would love to get a ring made that looks like the Harry Winston Cushion cut with baguettes or even like Kwiat's similar style ring, except set in yellow gold with a fancy yellow. I am thinking of purchasing the fancy yellow from Leibish, but likely will get something between 1.5 to maybe 2 carets. I have smallish short fingers (size 4.5), so I don't want the stone to be overwhelming.

Is this style worth getting a custom-made ring to make sure the proportions are correct? And is it necessary to spend the money on hand-forged or is CAD/cast just fine? I've been reading some of the topics on this forum and it looks like if I'm interested in pave, then hand-forged is necessary. But, what about the style of this Harry Winston Cushion cut with baguettes below? Is the style simple enough to do with CAD/Cast?

And finally, does anyone have recommendations on vendors here in the SF Bay Area? I suppose I can maybe make a trip to LA as well.

Thank you for your advice in advance!
Amy
dd203876d6ebc103c48a96e8d3627846.jpg

Like this proportion-wise, but with cushion:
PICT0028a.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
In the SF Bay Area you can go to Joe Escobar in Campbell. It's worth the trip. In LA there are a number of jewelers you can use. If you want handforged you can use Victor Canera. You can go for CAD with David Klass.

My personal favorite CAD version of that ring is by Brilliantly Engaged. And my favorite handforged is by Steven Kirsch. But both of those are in NY.

I live in the bay area. So if you need more advice, I check in from time to time, but am not always here. But there are a LOT of Bay Area PSers.

And yes, if it were me, I'd get it done by BE or SK. My own halo is by SK.

Thank you Gypsy for the information! I will check out Joe Escobar . . .

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It seems like a very simple setting but the proportions, and height of the setting, and the length and width of the baguettes and how deeply set in under the center stone all make a huge difference in how the ring looks. I would seriously consider how Leon Mege's settings look. For that style of setting, I like his the best. Although you should read up on various people's opinions on working with him, and he is far from you in NY. I worked with Victor who is in LA. I'm in the SF bay area too. Victor's work is beautiful and I would choose him if I could not get to NY. He's super easy to work with, professional, and his work is extremely fine. What really pushed me over the edge was being at his workshop and seeing his various pieces. Yup, I was done...

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1443283917|3932096 said:
It seems like a very simple setting but the proportions, and height of the setting, and the length and width of the baguettes and how deeply set in under the center stone all make a huge difference in how the ring looks. I would seriously consider how Leon Mege's settings look. For that style of setting, I like his the best. Although you should read up on various people's opinions on working with him, and he is far from you in NY. I worked with Victor who is in LA. I'm in the SF bay area too. Victor's work is beautiful and I would choose him if I could not get to NY. He's super easy to work with, professional, and his work is extremely fine. What really pushed me over the edge was being at his workshop and seeing his various pieces. Yup, I was done...

She's so right! Victor did a reset for me. Small things make a huge difference!

_34636.jpg

_34637.jpg

LLJsmom|1443283917|3932096 said:

Thanks for the advice LLJsmom. I've been looking at Leon Mege's work and settings over the past few days and had come to the conclusion that I liked his designs the best. I am now considering a flight to NYC, especially with your feedback. I have read some posts about Leon Mege and how he can be difficult, but for what I'm looking for it may be worth it.

I took a look at Victor's work on his website and his designs aren't quite the right fit in terms of what I'm looking for, but I suppose he can make anything to my custom desires . . .

Thanks for chiming in Mayk. Did you have your original setting made by Leon Mege?

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i_like_shiny_objects|1443297602|3932172 said:
Thanks for chiming in Mayk. Did you have your original setting made by Leon Mege?

No

The original setting made by another PS vendor was also lovely. The problem for me it sat too high and tipped back in forth on my finger. Those subtle changes made the center stone look bigger and the ring more stable on my finger. Until I had worn it for a year I didn't get what was causing it and had it sized twice. VC setting is perfect for me. The ring is more stable and slightly lower profile.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results