shape
carat
color
clarity

How to get a jeweler to set a ring/diamond you didn''t buy from them?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jules_248

Rough_Rock
Hi all...
Is the above possible? The boy and I are probably going to purchase the center stone from his uncle, who''s a wholesaler in NYC. But...I keep hearing that many jewelers will not set a ring or a stone you did not buy from them. I would love to use my family jeweler, but he''s giving me the same line. So, here are my questions...

1. Why do jewelers have this policy?
2. Is there any way to get around it? We can say the stone is from his family perhaps.
3. Alternatively, does anyone know a reputable jeweler in NYC I can go to for this?

The boy is very picky in terms of quality. Originally, he only wanted to buy the diamond/setting from Tiffanys but now I think he''s come around. Also, I think we will get the setting custom made, so I need to be able to trust the jeweler and talk to them face to face (hence, needs to be in NYC).

Thanks in advance!
Jules

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Tell them it's from your grandma. It always works.
1.gif

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, it's possible, though you may have to look harder. There are plenty of stores who will be happy to sell you a setting and treat you nicely in hopes of landing you as a long-term customer.

Some jewelers have such a policy because the bridal business is almost always the core business of any jewelry store, and a lot of them don't like making it easier for the competiton. They want you to buy their diamonds without looking anywhere else and be happy about it. So they get into a snit when someone comes in with a loose diamond they've bought elsewhere.

Note: Beware of the "oh you got ripped off, you'd better return this and buy one of our stones" line. It may be true, but more likely they're trying to break your confidence and steal the sale.

Giangi's suggestion is a good one, but I have a feeling that these jewelers are going wise up to the supposed "heirloom" diamond story and it may not work so well in the future.

Smooth

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 7/15/2003 11:O3:41 AM LawGem wrote:

I have a feeling that these jewelers are going wise up to the supposed "heirloom" diamond story and it may not work so well in the future.
----------------
It's probably even tougher to get them to buy that story if your stone has a laser inscription on it.
tongue.gif

Charmed

Shiny_Rock
What about the line that the stone wasn't purchased from them, therefore, they don't feel comfortable setting the stone if something happens to it. My jeweler stated that and we signed a waiver if anything were to happen to it. They did recommend going to the jeweler we purchased it from first. I was comfortable with that for an explanation. I don't think all jewelers are evil. There are good ones out there, you just have to keep looking.

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
Charmed, my guess is that the majority of jewelers would be happy to set a stone for a new customer regardless of where it came from because a sale is a sale and you can still turn a good profit on the setting and side stones. There are risk issues to be sure, but those exist in any setting job and a competent jeweler can discuss them without getting confrontational about it.

Unfortunately, there is a class of jewelers who are developing chips on their shoulders about internet competition, and I hear too much about them here and elsewhere. It's a trend that needs to be faced head-on and averted because it is not healthy for the trade over the long-term.
11.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
We had our ring custom designed and the designer set the stone, not our jeweler. So possibly if you get it custom, they may be more apt to set it into their own creation than not? Just a thought.

TheDiamondangel

Shiny_Rock
Not every jeweler is like that. Some of the smaller family-owned jewelers will go out of their way to make a new customer. I've been fortunate enough to find one right here in our neck of the woods.

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 7/15/2003 12:36
6.gif
4 PM TheDiamondangel wrote:

Not every jeweler is like that. Some of the smaller family-owned jewelers will go out of their way to make a new customer. I've been fortunate enough to find one right here in our neck of the woods.

----------------
I agree; I think the smaller stores understand better that a customer is a customer and anyone walking into the store is a potential future account. The jeweler I patronize down the street from my house has never had any problem setting stones I buy at various trade shows I go to. In fact, he enjoys talking about my stones and what's going on in the trade. Of course, he knows who I work for so that may have something to do with it, but I would bet that you're likely to get a friendlier response with an internet diamond at a smaller store than a big one or a chain.

hoss

Rough_Rock
Is it possible that the person you are buying the loose stone from will set it in a solitare? If so, just approach a local jeweler and tell them that your "boy" proposed with a solitare but now you want to upgrade. Tell them you moved to the area and going to the original jeweler is out of the question. Like others have stated, you may have better luck at the small, family-owned jewlers.

good luck!!

Jules_248

Rough_Rock
Hoss...that is a great suggestion! Thank you to you and everyone else who responded.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results