shape
carat
color
clarity

How to Find Trustworthy Local Jeweler?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

indigo

Rough_Rock
We''re in the process of picking out a diamond and a setting online. I''ll be getting the diamond long before the setting and need to make sure it is what it should be. How do I find a local jeweler that I can trust? I''m always scared that someone will just switch diamonds on me, and I wouldn''t know the difference. I want to know that the diamond I buy matches the certificate I receive with it. I might as well get an insurance appraisal at the same time.
Later, I''ll also need to have the diamond put into the setting.
How much should I expect to pay for these services?

I also have an old diamond ring that I would like to have cleaned and checked for loose stones. It was inherited so I don''t know much about the diamond. I know that it can''t be evaluated well when it''s already set, but I would like some info on it. How do I go about doing this? It doesn''t seem as likely that someone would switch diamonds when it''s already set, but you never know. I''ll be admitting that I couldn''t identify the diamond and then handing it over to someone else.

I''m in Knoxville, TN.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Well, it's like anything else--doctors, mechanics, dry cleaners, etc. The best way is word of mouth through a friend or family member you trust. You can also check the BBB to see if the jeweler has any complaints lodged against him, but personal references are the best way to find a trustworthy jeweler.

indigo

Rough_Rock
I was majorly burned (to the tune of $5,000) by a roofer who was referred by a friend. Anyway, the only friend who's dealt with a jeweler recently bought her ring from Jarrods. I've looked in their store and wasn't happy with the way I was treated. The guy acted like he had better things to do than wait on me. Maybe it was because I was shopping for an engagement ring without my fiance. They were also a lot more expensive on the same item than a store in the local mall.

Besides, just because one person has a good experience doesn't mean that the place is trustworthy. Is there no other way?
Also, can someone tell me how much I should expect to pay for the services mentioned?

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
You're in luck. There's a top notch appraiser and dealer in Knoxville by the name of Joseph Mackley. He's a high integrity and very knowledgeable gemologist, that can probably take care of most your jewelry needs. Tell him I referred you.

He can be reached at:

Mackley & Company
9724 Kingston Pike, Suite 1012,Knoxville,,TN 37922
Phone: 423-693-3097; Fax: 423-693-3097; Email: [email protected]

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Joseph Mackley is a Master Gemologist Appraiser, ASA
I know him and he knows his stuff. Highly recommended.

indigo

Rough_Rock
I contacted Mr Mackley and was quoted a rate of $200 an hour. Although I did explain what I was wanting done, he didn't offer an expected time frame.
He also sells diamonds which I thought wasn't a good thing for an independent appraiser. Maybe I should see what he has to offer before buying online (?)
According to past threads on this forum, that price seems rather steep. I was actually trying to find someone cheaper than the $125 charged by rockdoc because I don't really need all of the services that he includes. I basically just want to know that I'm getting what I should be at a fair price.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Joe's a top appraiser, so it seems he commands a top fee. I'm sure he's worth it.

Joe is not an independent appraiser, as he buys and sells. Independent appraisers are much fewer and farther between than non-independents. I do feel however that he is an objective appraiser.

If that's out of your budget, you're by no means restricted to a local appraiser. Many internet diamond vendors will send the diamond to the appraiser of your choice, nationwide. With fedex, email and faxes you'll often find a non-local appraiser can get the job done as quick or quicker than than a local appraiser.

The $125 Rockdoc charges by the way is pretty reasonable, especially for all the services he offers. Most appraisers are probably going to charge in the $100+ neighborhood, give or take.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results