shape
carat
color
clarity

How to find the best 1 carat within my budget

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

eringsearcher

Rough_Rock
I really want to stick with quality, and for my budget (around 6K for the stone) don''t want to have to go below 1ct... All of your posts have been so helpful, but before I actually start looking for diamonds I just was hoping for some feedback on what I should focus on and where I can scale back.

I know I want it to sparkle, and for there to be no visible inclusions...

From reading through your posts it seems to get the sparkle any girl wants, you need to start with Cut? and that should be Excellent....From there where should I focus?

Any tips/hints, or advice on how to read the gradings, and certs would be appreciated.

Is there anything I want to watch out for? What do people mean about angles, and mm etc?

Or are there any good sites that break it down step by step?

THANKS

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi! Starting here will answer a multitude of questions.

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/

And good luck!

p.s. Yes, CUT is everything.
2.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS
35.gif

My friend Ellen has given you a great start, bear in mind that learning about diamonds doesn't happen overnight, it can take a while to learn what to look for before you purchase, so don't be in a rush. Everything you could ever possibly need to know about diamonds is here on this site, use the search tool above to find answers to anything you need to know, then if you need more help don't be afraid to ask.

Here is an action plan for you. Start reading Ellen's link, you will see to the left of the page it has a number of subheadings such as carat weight
colour
clarity

etc etc, work your way through those and supplement with the search tool. Above all, learn about cut, this is what gives a diamond it's beauty. Concentrate on the various components of the round diamond and the desirable ranges and how they work together. You can also use the Holloway Cut Advisor to help you further. Then once you have a grasp of all 'C's' so to speak, you can decide how to use them to create your dream diamond. Once you have prioritized carat, colour, clarity, cut and cost, then you can start to look in earnest and compare diamonds. Often this becomes a mission when buying a diamond, but it is time well spent I can promise you!

eta - I forgot to mention that we can post examples for you, Ira just added a good one for you. Around a G or H SI1 or SI2 should give you more size for the money, as long as the diamond is well cut.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
One easy one (G SI1) to look at...ask if it''s eye clean.

Questions you didn''t ask, but might want to, below my signature.

Welcome!

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Um.. a brief summary:
Put your money into cut, not only is the cut the biggest factor in sparkle but a well cut diamond will look larger than a poorly cut diamond.
The most trusted lab for grading cut is AGS lab, they're the only ones with a literal ideal grade. GIA lab started grading cut in 2006 and their top grade is excellent.

MM refers to the actual measurements in millimeter of the dimensions of the diamond. This is actually more helpful to look at than just the carat size.

The %'s are Table % and Depth % . How much of the width of the diamond does the table (the flat bit on the top of the diamond) cover and how deep is the stone in relation to it's width. 55% - 58% is what I'd look for in the Table. A deeper 1 carat diamond will look smaller than a 1 carat diamond that isn't as deep (That's where the MM come in). 60% is the theoretical sweet spot but up to 62% is normal.

Angles: Think of it as angling mirrors to catch and reflect light back to a specific point (like Indiana Jones in the Lost Ark), that point being your eye. The crown and pavilion angle numbers need to be in a specific range and in relation to each other for the proper light return. Without those numbers you can't really judge how the diamond will actually preform.

Places to cut back on: Color and Clarity. IMO Color actually impacts price more than clarity. To maximize your budget and size while still playing it safe, look for H, Si1 quality. When getting into the SI1 and 2 you should call and ask the vendor if the diamond is eyeclean. Depending on her sensitivity to color I might be pushing it. (I have a diamond that's I color and Si2 and I'm very happy.)

Fluorescence: some diamond kinda glow when ultraviolet light hits them (the sun), usually they glow blue. This means that diamonds with some fluorescence will look 'whiter' in the sun. (To most people's eyes at any rate.) Too much can make the diamond look odd, though.

And just to make your life easier: Ideal cut (ACA) 1.015 ct, H si1 at $6045 (with 5% back towards setting price) at whiteflash.
35.gif

ETA: wow I type slow! Nice diamond Ira!
5.gif

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
I recently purchased a 1.15 I color SI 1 (eye clean) A Cut Above from whiteflash for under 6k. I have not seen the diamond in person yet as its with the appraiser but from his statements I don''t think I will be dissapointed. If you go with the G or H color you will definately not be sorry as they provide great value. I attached a pic just for your reference

ACA top.jpg

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
side view to get a better view of color (or lack there of)

ACA side.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To make your life easy, just look at Good Old Gold and WhiteFlash sites for 1.0-1.1 G-H SI1 or VS2. Both carry beautiful ideal cut diamonds and have pictures and other reports on the stone right on the sites. I also highly recommend reading the 4C''s tutorial on the Good Old Gold site. It is excellent.

eringsearcher

Rough_Rock
Wow, this is all great information Indie. I really appreciate it. I will check out the links and do a little more research, but I appreciate your input on angles, and % etc. I was always lost.

One other question. I was under the impression from my earlier research that I wouldn''t want to go below VS2. Once I get into the SI1 range, won''t there be black specs? Or am I way off? or does it simpy depend on the diamond?

Thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It will depend on the particular diamond. Please see the 4C''s tutorial on Good Old Gold and look at the clarity part. There are excellent pictures. I do prefer VS2 and up, personally, but others are completely happy with SI stones.

sgruning

Rough_Rock
You are right where I was about 1 month ago when I started (and I haven''t bought yet). Another site I found useful was not only the pricing info from pricescope, but this site to validate a good cut which I think you are hearing consistently from everyone that CUT is important!! You will need to ask for the dimensions to enter in, then it will tell you what you have.

http://facetware.gia.edu/

eringsearcher

Rough_Rock
Great, this is all so helpful. Another thing I am gathering is that people around here like WhiteFlash, and GoodOld Gold as vendors. Are there any other ones you would reccommend? What are thoughts on Blue Nile?

And I don''t get "Hearts and Arrows" is that simply a type of cut, that is more ideal? or is it personal preference? or is it a Round Stone and I just never knew that included shapes inside!?

Thanks again!

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
The clarity grading is based on how easy it is for a trained gemologist to find the flaws at 10x magnification while backlit. Which means that a clear crystal, cloud, or white inclusion could merit the same grade as a dark inclusion, yet the lighter one is harder for us to see with the naked eye. The location of the inclusion matters a great deal as well, even dark inclusions can be hid by a prong or lost in the sparkles if it's near the edge.

In other words, all diamonds are unique and it really depends on the diamond.

ETA: H&A are patterns you can see inside of a diamond when it has really great symmetry. A diamond can have H&A without being ideal because the angles are off or the polish isn't great, but IMO it's kinda hard for a diamond to be ideal and not show H&A's

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2006 12:28:55 PM
Author: eringsearcher
Great, this is all so helpful. Another thing I am gathering is that people around here like WhiteFlash, and GoodOld Gold as vendors. Are there any other ones you would reccommend? What are thoughts on Blue Nile?

And I don''t get ''Hearts and Arrows'' is that simply a type of cut, that is more ideal? or is it personal preference? or is it a Round Stone and I just never knew that included shapes inside!?

Thanks again!
I have only personally bought from GOG and WF, but there are many more. Many people have had great experiences with most of these vendors.

https://www.pricescope.com/dealers.asp

This will help explain H&A''s.

https://www.pricescope.com/hearts_indx.asp

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
More on favorite vendors!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results