shape
carat
color
clarity

How to find qualified jeweler to recast band in dif. material?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

w@ntonsoup

Rough_Rock
I''d like to have my wife''s 18K band recast into platinum... Have no idea where to start! Can anyone help?

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
What do you mean by "recast"? Is it engraved or chased in some particular way?

w@ntonsoup

Rough_Rock
I mean I want the exact same band recreated in platinum - perhaps using the current gold ring as a mold.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Look into Good Old Gold.

What is the band like?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Talk to the usual assortment of custom jewelers. Molding the existing band and recasting in platinum will occasionally work but usually it’s better to start over from scratch. When the jeweler looks at your piece and discusses what you want they should be able to tell you the best approach. The actual casting is among the easiest parts of the process.

Choose a jeweler based on looking at other things they've made. Look at the craftsmanship in terms of stone setting, clean porosity free castings, symmetry, finish, adherence to the design specs and the like. Most jewelers are happy to show you samples or at least photographs of their work and you can find referrals from folks who have worked with them before.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

RBD hunter

Rough_Rock
Try and find a jeweler with a cad design machine.
They should be able to make an exact copy of what you have now.
I went this route with a ring I had made and after I changed up the first cad drawings a little,
the ring was done in a week.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/21/2009 6:23:09 PM
Author: denverappraiser
Talk to the usual assortment of custom jewelers. Molding the existing band and recasting in platinum will occasionally work but usually it’s better to start over from scratch. When the jeweler looks at your piece and discusses what you want they should be able to tell you the best approach. The actual casting is among the easiest parts of the process.

Choose a jeweler based on looking at other things they''ve made. Look at the craftsmanship in terms of stone setting, clean porosity free castings, symmetry, finish, adherence to the design specs and the like. Most jewelers are happy to show you samples or at least photographs of their work and you can find referrals from folks who have worked with them before.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Ditto. I apologise if my question sounded abrupt; it''s just that I couldn''t figure out (and still can''t) what special features would make taking a mould necessary. If the band is plain, then starting from metal stock and shaping it is probably much easier than mould + cast.

w@ntonsoup

Rough_Rock
The idea here is that we love the band, and it's our wedding band and we don't want to simply find another one we like in platinum - we want our wedding ring changed to platinum... Sentimental sure, but it's a wedding ring so that goes without saying I guess!

The ring is fairly simple - a solitaire, a bit of a swoosh shape to the top of it, and two small diamonds that we recently had Shane Co add to the sides of the big stone. This is very similar: Link to similar ring

I'm in Denver - any help finding someone around here?

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
I think any good platinum smith wouldn't have a problem recreating this. If you want someone in or near Denver, I don't know of anyone, unfortunately. Leon Mege, Mark Morrell and Maytal Hannah all have outstanding reputations as platinum workers, but they aren't local to you.

w@ntonsoup

Rough_Rock
How does one go about finding a good platinum smith?

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
If you want local to Denver, have you tried giving Neil Beaty a call? He is an appraiser, but he worked as a bench jeweller and is in Denver - may be able to recommend someone. His details/link to his website are in his post above. Otherwise, try the three people I suggested for a quick quote/ballpark figure with a picture of the ring you want to replicate. I assume you don''t know anyone who is able to recommend a local craftsperson; how about the people who made the first ring? Fourth and final route, yellow pages, look for jewellers and start making phone calls enquiring whether they''d be interested and prepared to show you their work; then pick the one that seems to have the best craftsmanship (unless they are incredibly expensive!)

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for the recommendation OMC. I count it as a serious conflict of interest for an appraiser to be recommending a particular jeweler (and visa versa) and consequently refuse to do it but here's a strategy that works pretty well for most folks.

Visit their showroom and ask to see some platinum things that they’ve made. Inspect them carefully with a loupe and look for things like whether the stones are set straight and securely, the piece is finished evenly throughout. Look for porosity in the casting (little tiny pits in the surface). Look for symmetry in terms of the sides matching each other, even thickness in the shank etc., assuming of course that the design calls for this. The best jewelers take great pride in their work and should be happy to show it to you and let you inspect it. Ask lots of questions. Tell them what you have in mind and see what they have to say.

Talk to your friends and coworkers about jewelers that they may have experience with and how things went. Google the name of companies you are considering and see if there’s anything online from others who have worked with them. Post a thread here with their name in the title and see if others have worked with them. The audience here is quite large and you may find experience with even a rather small store.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results