shape
carat
color
clarity

How to find a good immigration lawyer?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
My friend was just turned down for a green card. She''s Chinese, married to an American--today is their first anniversary. They''re expecting a baby in June. She''s a graduate student, finishing her Ph.D. this year. They were told he didn''t make enough money last year, and they have 30 days to appeal the decision.

Do you guys have any advice about how to find a good immigration lawyer? They live in New York City.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
What she needs is a sponser. Not just her husband. She needs her husbands father, brother, mother sister.. etc, to sponser her as well. My best suggestion would be to call someone under immagration lawyer in the phone book. If the case is cut and dry (sounds like it is from only the info you provided) then it will begin a process where they have an extention pending a hearing.

ETA.. this is info that my husbands immigration lawyer told him.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
get a GOOD immigration lawyer....not all are created equal. and do it fast.

Mine, would your husband''s attorney have a referral?

movie zombie

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
She is in Raleigh, I am not sure if she can refer someone in NY. But I will call her secretary on Monday and ask... but it may not pan out.

We got our referral from the University. That may be something to look into. University's sometimes have members that are having problems with their immagration. I am sure that if you call they may be able to refer you to someone that some emnployees or students have used.. worth a shot.

Also, it may be exspensive, but once paperwork gets going... then it is going, it just has to get out.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i have a friend who relied on her university to help her and she ended up stranded in canada, unable to get back into the US to the university. then they screwed up more and she''s back in australia permanently. while i think its a good idea to check the university as a resource, i''d have more faith in a good attorney.

Mine, your husband''s attorney may know of someone good in new york, may not....but its worth a try.

Glitterata, i wish your friend good luck.

movie zombie

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
The university should have an attorney that they use for these kinds of issues. My doctoral program has a bunch of international students and I think some of them have used attorneys they got from referrals from the school.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, folks!

I''ll suggest she talk to her university, but my gut feeling is that she needs to find someone really good, and I don''t know how to tell the difference between a really good immigration lawyer and a not-so-good one. Like, what kinds of questions should she ask to figure it out?

Also, obviously, they don''t have tons of money to spend on lawyers--or they wouldn''t be in this jam to begin with.

I''m sure his family would be eager to sponsor her. Both his siblings are students, but his parents are employed.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2006 4:36:15 PM
Author: sxn675
The university should have an attorney that they use for these kinds of issues. My doctoral program has a bunch of international students and I think some of them have used attorneys they got from referrals from the school.
this is very very true.....and my friend still ended up having to leave the US because her university HIRED attorney who was supposed to take care of things didn''t. she was an international doctoral student doing post-doc work at the university and valued enough that the university hired the attorney....but apparently not valued highly enough to hire a competent immigration attorney.

movie zombie

mightyred

Shiny_Rock

I don''t have a name to recommend but your friend could try contacting the Irish Immigration Center eiic.org and ask them if they may be able to recommend someone in the area that specializes strictly in immigration law. They offer free immigration advice even if you are not Irish.

Your friend may want to try posting on an immigration website like immigration portal ( she should take care with advice as with all forums you are getting a lot of viewpoints and many people on immigration forums like to think they know more than the laywers (which in some cases they might !). Also I believe there is a China-US forum Candle for Love ....she could try posting on there to see if anyone has needed a sponsor or used an immi lawyer.

She could also try the Chinese Embassy in NYC for a referal.....not sure if they work the same way but I know I can contact the British Consulate in NYC for referals so that may work.

I hope some of my suggestions help...I feel for them.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Try the Bar Associations for referrals. I know the local ones usually offer referrals. Asking at universities was also a good suggestion. I don''t personally know anyone but if you still need help, let me know and I may be able to get a name/#.

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
i can see where as a student the money thing might be a problem. i totally agree with MINE about the sponsor! they need someone else in the family here in the US to help them ''earn'' more than the fed. poverty limits.

i hope they find someone to help!!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results