shape
carat
color
clarity

how to evaluate oec facets

blingymo

Shiny_Rock
I am trying to learn more about OECs, and my head is spinning. I need visuals to learn to judge for myself since I'm not sure I understand what things like lazy facets and leakage look like. I'm wondering if some of you experts could explain to me what your opinion would be of these stones and why - and I still may not get it, but I'm trying :???:

_138.png

_139.png

_140.png

_141.png

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi blingymo,

My OEC photo-evaluation skills are not that great, I usually have to see a stone in person to really make a decision whether I like it or not. I use photos to weed out ones I definitely know I wouldn't like to see in person. I'll give some comments on your photos below.

First photo, I'll attach a copy on which I made some markings. In the red crescent I see something weird going on. Leakage, maybe? The facets don't look crisp and defined. I'd be wary.

Second photo -- table looks big, but I would be curious to see this stone in real life. I personally probably wouldn't keep it because of the size of the table, but I'd want to see it. Although... looking at it again, it's a bit strange how you can see through the flower facets to the great beyond (in the top half of the facets under the table). Hmmm. I hope someone else comments.

Third and fourth photo -- Taken at an angle, so tough to say. Looks fairly bright. I'd want to see photos from the front.

_142.png

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of the most important characteristics of an OEC (to me) is the facet patterning and even light play across the stone. I like when there is even facet light play across the face of the OEC and similar sizes facets under the table and in the periphery. Small tables and high crowns are my favorite combination. And even brightness and scintillation across the whole face. Organization and symmetry is my preference (as much as is possible that is in an old cut).

You really need to see the stone in person to evaluate properly. I think you can rule out stones from pictures but to see its true personality it must be seen in person (though videos can be very helpful).

From the pics you posted the facet patterning is not appealing to me but these are static pictures so truly cannot judge from one static picture. The first stone seems like the center might be lazy-dark faceting and it looks like random patterning to me which I don't love. I agree with Gem, second pic table looks too large but the center facets are pretty. Again though need more pictures to judge accurately. Third pic- is that an inclusion in the center and the center faceting seems more off than on. Fourth pic-patterning seems disorganized.

However, since these are static pictures and taken from a specific angle they don't tell the whole story and they might be nice stones when viewed in action or from more angles.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results