shape
carat
color
clarity

How to determine lab from number inscribed on girdle

hillsmdp2

Rough_Rock
I have a diamond from a previous marriage that is inscribed with the number 229103UC. I assume this is a lab report number, but which lab? the online tools from GIA and AGS only are valid for reports after jan, 1, 2000. this ring is from 1989 so the diamond is that or older. I am wanting to sell the diamond and would rather get a copy of an existing report rather than send it out for a new grading if possible.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Laser girdle inscription services weren't available in 1989. What's your source of this date?

Inscribers can write whatever they want on the girdle so I would not assume that what you have is a report number but it's not the correct format for either of the labs you mention. Maybe IGI. www.igiworldwide.com

hillsmdp2

Rough_Rock
actually ring was from 1987 marriage was in 1989 so somebody was laser inscribing back then

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
OK, so I did some further research. IGI filed a patent on laser inscriptions in 1983 and seems to have commercially offered the service starting in 1984. GIA didn't get into it until the 90's and AGS Lab didn't exist at the time. I think that leaves IGI as the most likely suspect.

hillsmdp2

Rough_Rock
thanks for the info. guess i may have to look into getting a GIA report in order to sell.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Depending on what you are planning as a marketing plan, you might want to consult with an appraiser first. It's not always in your best interest in that you may or may not be able to get back the money you invest in the report. Can you tell us a little more about what you think you have and how you plan to market it?

hillsmdp2

Rough_Rock
I have an appraisal done 4 years ago for actual value NOT insurance value that gave a value of $15,000. it is a round brilliant cut 1.7 carat I/J VS1 stone.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you are looking to sell you will definitely want a current appraisal.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results