shape
carat
color
clarity

How to detect a moronic jewelry store employee

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
How do you know when the person you''re talking to at a jewelry store is a moron?

For me, today, while talking to the OWNER it was:

--"Spinel is synthetic." Period.

--me-"Is that a peg head?"
her-"No. It''s not."
me-"Uh, ok."

--"I can buy a dozen of the stones you just showed me (Barry Tourmaline and Dan Spinel) for dirt cheap. You paid WAY too much. You could MAYBE get $45 for those on ebay."

--"Only Round Brilliants are sparkly. Anything else is going to lack sparkle."

Tell us about your experiences!!! What did you do?

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
"These EGL diamonds are much better than any AGS or GIA diamonds! They are cheaper!"

32.gif

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Oy . . .

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
a few from a crazy mall store.

random things where I asked the CLARITY and she went
-"OH it''s G, near colorless"

I asked the CUT quality
-"SI1.... very clear no inclusions at all"

I think If I''d asked her if it was a diamond she would have told me it was 14k

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
LMAO Erica and Ckrickett!!!!!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2009 8:08:00 PM
Author: ckrickett

-''OH it''s G, near colorless''

I asked the CUT quality

-''SI1.... very clear no inclusions at all''

OMG ROFL. When I''ve asked about cut quality, I''ve gotten a blank look more often than not...

One thing that drives me batty is when they feel the need to demean my jewelry to make the stuff in their shop sound better by comparison - the minute you feel you have to do that, I''m never going to be a customer anyway
29.gif
29.gif

Definitely. Maybe

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/11/2009 8:05:55 PM
Author: EricaR
''These EGL diamonds are much better than any AGS or GIA diamonds! They are cheaper!''

32.gif
Wow- Your stores actually know what AGS is?!

We''ve walked into stores asking for AGS certs and they look at us like we''re speaking another language...
20.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was told that all their diamond solitaires - except for special orders - were I1. Was told the good thing about them is that all of the inclusions are white - no black inclusions. A one carat I, I1 stone was $14k or if I would like something of better quality, they could order it in and get it in 2-3 days. I told them I could order all day from internet dealers and get something overnight if I really wanted it.

I hadn''t been in a mall store looking at rings for years. I couldn''t believe it - I could feel myself getting so angry that they rip folks off so badly!

Definitely. Maybe

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/11/2009 8:22:20 PM
Author: MissGotRocks
Was told that all their diamond solitaires - except for special orders - were I1. Was told the good thing about them is that all of the inclusions are white - no black inclusions. A one carat I, I1 stone was $14k or if I would like something of better quality, they could order it in and get it in 2-3 days. I told them I could order all day from internet dealers and get something overnight if I really wanted it.

I hadn''t been in a mall store looking at rings for years. I couldn''t believe it - I could feel myself getting so angry that they rip folks off so badly!
Seriously! It is so annoying to go in. Right after BF discovered pricescope we would browse and kind of laugh to ourselves about the quality, price,etc... now BF refuses to even walk into a mall store.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2009 8:17:24 PM
Author: AmberGretchen

Date: 4/11/2009 8:08:00 PM
Author: ckrickett

-''OH it''s G, near colorless''

I asked the CUT quality

-''SI1.... very clear no inclusions at all''

OMG ROFL. When I''ve asked about cut quality, I''ve gotten a blank look more often than not...

One thing that drives me batty is when they feel the need to demean my jewelry to make the stuff in their shop sound better by comparison - the minute you feel you have to do that, I''m never going to be a customer anyway
29.gif
29.gif
I can''t stand that either, and I know my jewelry is a better quality too.
you think if they would demean you they would at least KNOW what they were talking about...right? I hope!?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"clarity enhanced diamonds will save you a bundle!" or "who needs certs? Look at how nice this is!"
How do you tell the pricing? Compare size! Whats a D vs an I? They are both 1 ct!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
"A setting in white gold will look very dated in 10 years"

"Color doesn''t matter. No one can tell. That is one of the best kept secrets in jewelry."

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
lol. this is just too ridiculous. Freke, I can''t believe those morons said that - I''ve gotten so many compliments on how well-cut my Barry stones are from my jewelry store.

What I hate is when I go to a store like Kays, and I''ll ask them about certs and cut and inclusions, and they''ll talk down to me like I don''t know crap about diamonds and I''m asking really dumb questions.
29.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Ewwwww blue zircon??? We don''t sell those fake stones here.....sniff!"

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I generally avoid making convos with people in jewelry stores after I was told, "there''s no nickel in white gold, you can''t be allergic." mmhmm

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
OMG Liz - which store was that?!

I prefered the Meteorite guy
9.gif
He was awesome.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2009 10:21:28 PM
Author: Catmom
''Ewwwww blue zircon??? We don''t sell those fake stones here.....sniff!''

They always think zircon = zirconia. Today was the first time I met someone in a store that not only knew what it was, but also knew it was NOT cubic zirconia!

I hate getting the line about, "It''s S1, upgraded clarity!" Are you freaking kidding me? How dumb are these people? Even before I came to PS I knew that was a stupid thing to say.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2009 1:09:55 AM
Author: MonkeyPie
OMG Liz - which store was that?!

I prefered the Meteorite guy
9.gif
He was awesome.
Kruger''s Jewelry or whatever it is now.

And all of that....from the OWNER. THE OWNER.

OMG.

And Meteorite guy is awesome. Coolest sales person ever. Too bad we didn''t have time to oogle some diamonds!!!

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2009 8:20:39 PM
Author: Definitely, Maybe

''These EGL diamonds are much better than any AGS or GIA diamonds! They are cheaper!''

32.gif

We''ve walked into stores asking for AGS certs and they look at us like we''re speaking another language...
20.gif

Most people know what GIA is but very few AGS. There are actually a few chain stores around here that carry AGS stones, just very very few of them and at extremely high prices.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2009 2:04:55 AM
Date: 4/11/2009 8:20:39 PM

Author: Definitely, Maybe

32.gif

20.gif

Most people know what GIA is but very few AGS. There are actually a few chain stores around here that carry AGS stones, just very very few of them and at extremely high prices.

It''s funny- I''ve been using AGS knowledge as a litmus test for whether I''d ever buy a diamond from a store
2.gif

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2009 9:56:16 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
lol. this is just too ridiculous. Freke, I can''t believe those morons said that - I''ve gotten so many compliments on how well-cut my Barry stones are from my jewelry store.

What I hate is when I go to a store like Kays, and I''ll ask them about certs and cut and inclusions, and they''ll talk down to me like I don''t know crap about diamonds and I''m asking really dumb questions.
29.gif
Ditto BEG!

I can''t stand it when they talk down to me like I don''t have a clue.....now I speak my mind and let them have it as I''m walking out of the store!
25.gif

Lori

beau13

Ideal_Rock
I never go into the mall jewelers..but a few weeks ago..I went with a friend who was looking for a wedding band. We approached the sales girl, and asked if she had any antique style bands. Looking dazed & confused, she said ''''Uh...I don''t think so..they go in and out of style, and they certainly aren''t in style right now"
I guess that was her reasoning for not having one in the showcase..they aren''t "in style"?? I told my friend I''d find her one on E-bay..with certainty!!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I shy away from stores after some bad experiences such as being told my .66 carat earrings didn''t look any larger than 3 mm each, and all stones lower than E colour are yellow and of lower quality.

I was pleasantly surprised on Friday though. I went into a store and looked but didn''t speak to the sales people. I find avoiding them to be the best way to deal with them. I wanted to see something and the sales women, who didn''t look older than early 20s knew something, not about diamonds, but about the settings and designer we were discussing. I was so shocked I didn''t know what to do with myself.

Don''t give up, ladies! You may meet a knowledgable sales person at a B&M yet!! But sadly the moronic still outnumber.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was once told there is no visible difference between a D and J colour diamond! That was a few years ago. I went back into that store to buy my new watch and got chatting to the manager. I told her what happened and she was shocked. Then after finding I had experience in a jewellery store she offered me a job lol!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/12/2009 9:25:41 AM
Author: Maisie
Then after finding I had experience in a jewellery store she offered me a job lol!

And??? Did you take it?!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
"I don't need to show you different colour grades of stones. They're all beautiful. Just trust me." Er, sure they are, but that wasn't the point...

While shopping with a girl friend: "Come back with your men so I know you're a serious buyer." Like I couldn't buy something on my own, or get educated before purchasing?
23.gif

soocool

Ideal_Rock
When I began looking at diamonds a few months back (before PS) I asked to see a radiant and they showed me an EC instead. When I told them, er, that''s an EC they said that a radiant is another word for emerald. Huh!?

I am going to a diamond show at Gordon''s Jewelers this week so I can get an idea as to what size Round Brilliant I want and I would like to see a G/H diamond next to a I/J to see if I can tell the difference in the color grades up close especially in bigger stones. They said they would have an appraiser on the premises who will give me a free appraisal after my purchase. Yea, like I am going to purchase thru them.

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
It seems to me that the term radiant tends to throw the SA for a loop. I walked into a mall store one day and asked if they had any radiants and the SA told me "All of our diamonds are radiant, they sparkle like crazy just look at those flashes of light." I just chuckled, said thanks and walked out. LOL
20.gif

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2009 10:51:57 AM
Author: girlie-girl
It seems to me that the term radiant tends to throw the SA for a loop. I walked into a mall store one day and asked if they had any radiants and the SA told me ''All of our diamonds are radiant, they sparkle like crazy just look at those flashes of light.'' I just chuckled, said thanks and walked out. LOL
20.gif

haha that''s a funny story. Sometimes I think I''d like to get a job in a jewellery store (a nice jewellery store...)

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2009 9:27:39 AM
Author: Addy

Date: 4/12/2009 9:25:41 AM
Author: Maisie
Then after finding I had experience in a jewellery store she offered me a job lol!

And??? Did you take it?!
No I didn''t
1.gif
I home school my daughter so I can''t work.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results