shape
carat
color
clarity
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PriceScope Upgrade Completed
    For issues, questions and comments click the link below
    https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pricescope-upgraded-comments-and-issues.229551/

Dismiss Notice

How to decide on budget

Discussion in 'Proposal Ideas' started by Joel21, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Joel21
    Rough_Rock

by Joel21 » Oct 29, 2016
    I know everyone would love to get the most expensive and highest quality ring for their partner but that's not always possible. I want to know if there is some guideline as to how much to spend on an engagement ring, for example, it may be three month's pay or something like that. Any help is appreciated.

2. Crazie4Cuts
    Shiny_Rock

by Crazie4Cuts » Oct 31, 2016
    Hi Joel,
    It's really up to the intended buyer to set the amount for an engagement ring.I would suggest only spend as much as you can afford. It should not be considered an investment, but a gift for your future fiance. I think you should also discuss this with your future fiance and consider together what would be a budget you both feel comfortable with spending. I have seen young couples excited and overextend themselves at the 'tune' of $15k and put the ring on a credit card! Then I heard they had to work extra side jobs to pay it off...so I think that's not such a great idea.

The 2 month salary rule which was used in the past is also dumb! Many couples have debt already with student loans, car payments, personal expenses,etc... that having this added expense of an engagement ring to meet other's expectations is really unrealistic. You can think out of the box and place an emphasis on a meaningful ring that the two of you put together and that may include purchasing a fabulous ring on the secondary market. So take some time and discuss it with your intended, then come back here and educate yourself on diamonds!

Hope this helps! :angel:
    -Crazy4cuts

3. dazzlerazzle
    Rough_Rock

by dazzlerazzle » Oct 31, 2016
    There really in no standard. The better question you need to get an answer to is: what does your gf want? Do you know if she wants a diamond center stone? Or a gemstone with diamond accents? Or JUST a gemstone? You may be sweating over figuring out how many thousands of dollars to spend on a diamond only to find out she wants a step cut white topaz... Next, if she DOES want a diamond, you should find out what C's she prioritizes. Some women absolutely want the iciest, whitest diamond their SO can afford. Others want a larger size and are willing to go down to such and such color to get it. Some women actually PREFER the look of warmer diamonds, especially in old cuts.

My SO wanted to get me a 2ct center, but was sweating over the price tag. Imagine how happy he was to learn I actually WANT an I or J color!?? :dance:

4. Joel21
    Rough_Rock

by Joel21 » Nov 1, 2016
    Thanks for the replies. That really cleared up a lot of confusion for me. Now the only question is how to get all that information from my girlfriend without giving the surprise away...

5. pearaffair
    Brilliant_Rock

by pearaffair » Nov 1, 2016
    My philosophy is that the guy should spend more on the ring than he did on a tv for himself ;)

6. Jumpluff
    Rough_Rock

by Jumpluff » Feb 26, 2017
    According to an expert-fueled report on Brides.com, the purchaser should spend about three full months’ salary on the ring. This is more a rule of thumb, however, and if the person buying the ring is “heavily in debt or concerned about job security,” he or she might want to scale back a bit. So...

7. interestedinshiny
    Rough_Rock

by interestedinshiny » Mar 12, 2017
    It's whatever he spent on his car. The two - three month salary rule is dumb because some are more conservative than others. Take Mark Zuckerburg net worth 19 Billion he drives a Honda Accord, and bought his now wife a $25,000 ring. That's a little short of three months, but that is his financial style. You also have People like Kanye West Net worth of 100 million who spent 8 million on Kims ring. That is a lot more than three months for him, but he is a man that loves luxury purchases. The car rule is great because it allines itself with a mans budget for luxury purchases, and your wife can never come back and say you love your car more than her.