shape
carat
color
clarity

how to collect stones?

gongli

Rough_Rock
Hi

I was wondering, for those of you who collect stones but don't mount them, how do you display them? Do you keep them in transparent holders and take them out and just look at them? Keep them in some papers and look at them under a microscope? I want to collect stones and I don't necessarily want to mount them, but I don't know what I'd do with them. Are there any pre-made rings that a regular person (nonjeweller) could mount a stone in by themselves, possibly even temporarily?

Thanks!
-Neal

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Boxes and papers - then I get them out and oggle them every now and then...

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pandora|1318536567|3039591 said:
Boxes and papers - then I get them out and oggle them every now and then...

This, only I oggle them often! :naughty: :Up_to_something: Except for those at the bank, which, unfortunately, I never bring home to play (though an occasional saturday visit from me occurs...)

Occasionally, I mount something. I have learned, though, not to mount unless it really fits the stone, as otherwise I'm disppointed.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of the stones I have I am eventually intending to put into jewelry, either made by myself or someone else. For the ones I am intending to work on soonish, I keep them in my toolbox (not very glam, but there you go). For the ones I am saving for later, I have one of those velvety box things. I want a display box with a glass lid, but keep forgetting to buy one. I know there are plenty of jewelry supply places that have them, and I saw some at the gem show last week. If your gems are delicate though you need to be sure to secure them so they won't rattle around if you move the box - if it's a jewelry mounting box, you can stick pins around them to hold them in place. I'm sure there are other ways to hold them in place that are prettier, but that's what I do. At gem shows, I've seen pieces with velcro glued to the back, but I'm skeptical of that.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The correct way is in glass jars or as Pandora has described. However, I've used a different method for years and it works and touch wood I haven't suffered any damage. I used to prefer the black version but moved to the white one because it's better to see the colours. These are the same stones but with the two different colourways. The whole box has a perspex lid that goes over the top so you can still see the stones in their jars without having to take them out :

Loose stones 1_1_1.JPG

Loose Gemstone Collection1_1_1.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I totally agree about the white! Without thinking about it, I recently bought a black one and it bothers me how many of the stones just disappear...I'll go back to white ones in the future as I add more stones...

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovingDiamonds|1318537155|3039598 said:
The correct way is in glass jars or as Pandora has described. However, I've used a different method for years and it works and touch wood I haven't suffered any damage. I used to prefer the black version but moved to the white one because it's better to see the colours. These are the same stones but with the two different colourways. The whole box has a perspex lid that goes over the top so you can still see the stones in their jars without having to take them out :

Where is the best place to get one of these? And what about more little gem boxes, if I want to move some stones from papers?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NKOTB the best prices I've seen for these are on Ebay. You can also buy smaller boxes. I bought quite a few at once and I seem to recall the vendor was in China but I can't be sure!

There are also single boxes/jars.

I've also seen square jars that have a sort of squidgy inside (a bit like jelly) that you rest the stone on so it moulds around the stone. These jars are also plastic not glass.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
LD, I have those ones - a mix of white and black (white zircons look better on black as do moonstones and opals).

My favourites are the little square boxes with glass lids, but I haven't found an affordable supplier in the UK (although a friend of mine who lives in Thailand is going to send me a load as they are ridiculously cheap out there) and the plastic jars are economical. They also stack nicely - I have cases which take two sheets of 50 each.

The other thing I found was that if you buy one of the 1" punches from eBay or a craft shop, the circles fit the bottom of the jars perfectly. I can write all the info on them and if I then move things around or need to reuse the box I don't have the nasty sticky label issue...

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! My next steps will be to organize my collection a bit better, and buy a safe (and I will set SOMETHING in 2012). Currently, to answer the OP's question, my stones are in a box (well, actually in a few wooden jewelry boxes kept in a larger box). I bring them out when either an enthusiastic friend is over, or I'm on my own and the lighting is good, to ogle. :)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pandora|1318541874|3039668 said:
LD, I have those ones - a mix of white and black (white zircons look better on black as do moonstones and opals).

My favourites are the little square boxes with glass lids, but I haven't found an affordable supplier in the UK (although a friend of mine who lives in Thailand is going to send me a load as they are ridiculously cheap out there) and the plastic jars are economical. They also stack nicely - I have cases which take two sheets of 50 each.

The other thing I found was that if you buy one of the 1" punches from eBay or a craft shop, the circles fit the bottom of the jars perfectly. I can write all the info on them and if I then move things around or need to reuse the box I don't have the nasty sticky label issue...

What a superb idea - thank you. I currently cut up sticky labels and put them on the bottom but it's a faff and messy!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have many so they all fit in one small case.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would just put softer stones (ones that are softer than a 7 on the Mohs scale) in little plastic jars instead of the glass topped ones. The glass could scratch the stone otherwise.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
gongli|1318525009|3039422 said:
Hi

I was wondering, for those of you who collect stones but don't mount them, how do you display them? Do you keep them in transparent holders and take them out and just look at them? Keep them in some papers and look at them under a microscope? I want to collect stones and I don't necessarily want to mount them, but I don't know what I'd do with them. Are there any pre-made rings that a regular person (nonjeweller) could mount a stone in by themselves, possibly even temporarily?

Thanks!
-Neal

Why yes !!!! (LD, I LOVE your displays !!!)

I love to collect the loose stones and just photograph and play with them !!!
If I had them in a bank, I wouldn't enjoy them !!!
(I respect those who keep their stones in a bank or safe however, don't get me wrong !
Those folks are playing it smart, and myself... not so much)

My collection is small however, and I keep them in their little boxes on a plate on my bathroom counter.
Every morning, they are the first things I see that brighten my day !
I do have various holders and substrates that I use for my photo taking,
as well as a temporary "ring" / holder, that I can use to play with too !!!
I really really get a lot of enjoyment from my stones, and quite frankly I would enjoy them less
if they were tucked away someplace safe (*where they probably belong)

Example: (not good photos)

RubelliteUmbaliteSpessartite 040 (Large).JPG

7-24-11 015 (Large).JPG

7-24-11 021 (Large).JPG

Tuffy

Rough_Rock
you gals have such a gorgeous collection!! envious!! :love:

where's a good place to buy a ring holder? q scared may end up scratching the stone..

and shinney - what's the beautiful pink stone you have?

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Tuffy|1318734204|3041318 said:
you gals have such a gorgeous collection!! envious!! :love:

where's a good place to buy a ring holder? q scared may end up scratching the stone..

and shinney - what's the beautiful pink stone you have?

Thanks Tuffy, it is a Spinel, I have a small collection of those..
I like my little ring holder, it was gifted to me.
I think if you google "Gemstone Holders" you could find some places to purchase one
or someone here may chime in with a good source :))

Tuffy

Rough_Rock
thanks! the spinel colour is exquisite. I have been looking at pink sapphire but I don't think any of them can match the vibrant colour of a good pink spinel. pity now it's so hard to find such nice colours at a decent price...

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi ooo-Shiney! :wavey:

You better watch out that when you have guests over they don't think your gems neatly laid out in your bathroom are party favors... :errrr:

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1318798110|3041592 said:
Hi ooo-Shiney! :wavey:

You better watch out that when you have guests over they don't think your gems neatly laid out in your bathroom are party favors... :errrr:

Hee Hee !!!!
Those would be some pretty neat party favors !!!!! :lol: :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results